Hello from the UK!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Rc_Tiger_1
Recruit

Hello from the UK!

Post by Rc_Tiger_1 »

As my user name suggests I have been gifted a great RC Tiger 1 tank. I'm a complete novice to RC in general, especially tanks and was wondering if there are any meaningful modifications I can/should do to this? It seems pretty sturdy as is and replacement plastic stock parts are cheap and easily available on the Internet. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Hello from the UK!

Post by RobW »

Welcome. Where abouts are you?
I'd run it for a while, and check out https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c1 ... ducts.html for some ideas (Dave's on here too).
Rc_Tiger_1
Recruit

Post by Rc_Tiger_1 »

Hi RobW. I live in Somerset.
Thanks for the link, some good looking stuff there. I might be competant enough to make performance modifications but I'm no modeller and without years of experience I doubt I'd be able to get the level of detail I'd want on it without ruining it. Are there ways of practicing techniques to get an idea of what might be involved?
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Rc_Tiger_1 wrote:Hi RobW. I live in Somerset.
Thanks for the link, some good looking stuff there. I might be competant enough to make performance modifications but I'm no modeller and without years of experience I doubt I'd be able to get the level of detail I'd want on it without ruining it. Are there ways of practicing techniques to get an idea of what might be involved?

Wel ome mate. Nice choice of armour. I would suggest lots of trial and error! Unless you start cutting/drilling/melting things just about anything you do detail-wise can be changed/corrected/improved at a later date! Practice is definitely the way forward :D :D
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
Rc_Tiger_1
Recruit

Post by Rc_Tiger_1 »

Thanks. I'm very impressed with the quality considering how much it went for. The booklet says model v. 6 if that helps at all.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I would drive the hell out of it and figure out how much you like it just like it is. Then make the changes that suit you. I did a lot of internet searching for photos of Tiger 1 tanks until I found a prototype that pleased me and modified my tank accordingly. One man’s opinion of course.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

There's the Bristol meet not too far from you (I think). Plenty of pointers available there, including the next one to buy.....
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

The v6 reference is a givaway. HengLong's latest electronics are superb value and both their basic plastic and new steel gearboxes are smooth and easy to drive.

The Tiger 1 is always one of their cheapest tanks probably due to high turnover, As for upgrades, HengLong are now providing barrel recoil and barrel flash systems for the Tiger, most of their current output being snatched up by Chinese retailers but in time they will be freely available from the UK. The tigers stock metal track tension adjuster and metal suspension arms are an improvement too.

It's a good place to start and you should not need to rush to upgrade it until you are sure what you need. If you want to improve the looks, go to Forgebears website and pick up a Taigen etched grill set for the rear engine covers and a Taigen pair of detailed driving lights to replace the HL blobs, nice and cheap improvement. Good choice btw!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Rc_Tiger_1
Recruit

Post by Rc_Tiger_1 »

General Jumbo01 wrote:The v6 reference is a givaway. HengLong's latest electronics are superb value and both their basic plastic and new steel gearboxes are smooth and easy to drive.

The Tiger 1 is always one of their cheapest tanks probably due to high turnover, As for upgrades, HengLong are now providing barrel recoil and barrel flash systems for the Tiger, most of their current output being snatched up by Chinese retailers but in time they will be freely available from the UK. The tigers stock metal track tension adjuster and metal suspension arms are an improvement too.

It's a good place to start and you should not need to rush to upgrade it until you are sure what you need. If you want to improve the looks, go to Forgebears website and pick up a Taigen etched grill set for the rear engine covers and a Taigen pair of detailed driving lights to replace the HL blobs, nice and cheap improvement. Good choice btw!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. I'd be willing to invest the cost of this tank back into it as it was a gift and I was thinking about buying one anyway. A henglong metal gearbox seems pretty cheap from what I've found, would you say it's worth it? I would guess the plastic gearboxes on these things do not last very long.

I actually have some etched grills on the way and was eyeing the lights from the site you mentioned. I'll keep playing around with it but I love it so far.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I have a few plastic gearboxes that have put in a bit of mileage and show no signs of wear. Keep them lubed with plastic friendly model grease and stay out of the long grass!

If you buy a HL metal gearbox set make sure it's the new steel teeth gear wheels as the older pot metal ones are terrible! Alternately use Taigen ones.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “Introduce Yourself”