Hello from the cold midwest

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
douglasbader
Recruit

Hello from the cold midwest

Post by douglasbader »

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce my self. I'm fascinated with all things related to WWII, books, movies, docs, and rc warbirds and now rc tanks(although I still don't own one). I've been flying RC warbirds for the past 3 years and I'm currently building a spit 1/4 scale and a razorback 1/6 scale. Now I've been thinking about buying a few tanks. As I'm swamped with my warbirds, I've been trying to buy an already built Sherman E8 or a AK Tiger but not painted. I've built 1/48 warbirds since I was a teenager and painting is my real passion.

I live in Illinois and I wish I lived in the UK, it seems that the UK is the best place to live if you're into WW2 history in general, from toys to the real stuff. Also, it can't get any better than flying a spit in the skies of the UK.

Cheers!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Hello from the cold midwest

Post by Jimster »

Welcome from the southern tip of Illinois! I’m exactly 1 year into RC tanking and it’s the most enjoyable of all my hobbies. I’ve always wanted to fly an rc FW-190 but as it is I’m spread as thin as a German supply line at Stalingrad.
douglasbader
Recruit

Post by douglasbader »

Thank you, Jimster! I'm near lake MI northeast. I'm sure it's enjoyable! I actually bought a T23 turret from Nick Aguillar 2 years ago but it's been in my closet since then. My idea was to buy a Tamyia Sherman but warbirds used all my funds and time for the past few years. Now the dilema is if I should buy a taigen sherman, the 76mm one, or wait till I have time to build a Tamyia Sherman from scratch.

The FW-190 is one of my faves, I don't know if you know but there's a FW 190 1/4 from a brand called SiSt that is truly a masterpiece(it has all rivets). Just google SiSt FW 190 1/4 with Moki engine. There's also a guy in Germany building a FW 190 dora 1.3/3 scale and he's made a v4 engine in his garage.

Back to tanking, I'm amazed with the some tanks I've seen here in this forum, very inspiring!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
I have always been a Johnnie Johnson type,
Group Captain Bader always struck me as a bit pushy, Still when one considers how he emerged from such adversity to go on to not only fly again but to make a valuable contribution to the war effort it was probably being "Pushy" that drove him on.
I fly 1/8 military aircraft, including a FW 190 A-8 and a DHC2 Beaver (Wheeled Undercarriage) in the markings of the British Army Air Corps XP806 to remind me that it was the Aircraft I did my initial freefall from :haha:
The Beaver fly's at very slow speed with a touch of flap, The 190 would destroy itself on landing if I did not select full flap >:<
Don't forget to keep us upto date on your Tank buying progress and if you need advice on the best places to buy one we have that information waiting, All you have to do is ask.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, DB! from the Far North Scottish Highlands. :thumbup:
Flying a full-size Spitfire was (and is for some still) the dream of many 'Boomer' kids like myself.
The Mk IX was truly a thing of beauty: delicate, refined, shapely, and very feminine- but deadly. :D The RAF still had quite a few when I was a wee nipper ( Korean War onwards).
I guess the USA Mainland was largely untouched- directly- by WW2 (apart from by those infamous Japanese Jet-Stream riding balloon bombs). Whereas my Mum, Dad, cousins etc., had to endure nightly bombing- even after Bader and Co. had given the Luftwaffe a serious 'wake-up' call in the Battle of Britain. Britain still had all the scars of War when I was a boy. (Doorsteps leading to where houses used to be, Bunkers, Limbless men etc.,)
Of course, American Mums were sadly not exempt from those dreadful telegrams that began to arrive after Pearl Harbour... :| Far, far from it. :'(
As for the Hobby, well, tanks are a lot harder to crash than warbirds :thumbup: So, that's a big plus, and that superb Nick Aguilar turret atop a Tamiya Chassis, would make a spectacular entry into this immersive- if slightly bonkers- pastime. :D
One advantage of being 'Douglas Bader' at Christmas, is that you'll have every excuse for getting 'legless,' as we say. :D Cheers!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
douglasbader
Recruit

Post by douglasbader »

Thank you, Jarndice!

I'm a fan of all these pilots and have read some of their books, reach for the sky was great. I'm currently reading First Light by Geoffrey Wellum after seeing the Spitfire documentary on Netflix. To Fly and Fight is next. I had this book signed by Bud Anderson at OshKosh 3 years ago and meeting him in person was definitely a bucket list thing. My next bucket list thing is to go to the Duxford airshow and see 15+ spits flying in formation. :thumbup:

Great thing you fly as well, I heard the FW 190 are as good as the spits and the p47s for rc flying albeit a little touchy on landings, so you're right about your experience with the A-8. The beaver must be a pleasure to fly. I'm currently flying a p47 razorback 67" and the typical aerobatic planes: laser 60" and edge 74' and building 2 spits, 1/5.5, 1/4 and another p47 1/6.

As for the tanks, please let me know if the electronics on the Tamiya Sherman are still accepatable as it's a quite old kit. It looks like the AAF tank museum is a good place to buy in the US but let me know if there are other places I should consider, thanks a ton!

Cheers!

jarndice wrote:Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
I have always been a Johnnie Johnson type,
Group Captain Bader always struck me as a bit pushy, Still when one considers how he emerged from such adversity to go on to not only fly again but to make a valuable contribution to the war effort it was probably being "Pushy" that drove him on.
I fly 1/8 military aircraft, including a FW 190 A-8 and a DHC2 Beaver (Wheeled Undercarriage) in the markings of the British Army Air Corps XP806 to remind me that it was the Aircraft I did my initial freefall from :haha:
The Beaver fly's at very slow speed with a touch of flap, The 190 would destroy itself on landing if I did not select full flap >:<
Don't forget to keep us upto date on your Tank buying progress and if you need advice on the best places to buy one we have that information waiting, All you have to do is ask.
douglasbader
Recruit

Post by douglasbader »

Thank you, 43rdRecceReg!

Nice, I'm a cyclist and I heard the Scottish Highlands are amazing for mounting biking :thumbup:

Wow! I'd love to fly a spit one day, but 4000 pounds will be tricky :D Maybe one day.
Mk IX design wise is my favorite plane of WWII, then the 109 F, E and the FW 190 Dora. The spit just can't be beaten, her design lines are truly a work of art.

My relatives were lucky enough to avoid WWII as we're from Brazil and moved to the US only 20 years ago. There were only 6000 Brazilians in WWII and less than 2000 Brazilians died, mostly in sunk ships by u boats bringing iron to the US and England, and some 450 soldiers in the Italy campaign. I can't imagine the suffering the UK and the rest of Europe went through during the war. It surely scarred several generations. It's only for the past 20 years that war movies have gotten closer to depict these stories in a more realistic way, before, the war movies were romanticized.

I'm almost pulling the trigger on buying the Tamiya Sherman. But I wanna research a little more. Suggestions are welcome, of course.

Cheers!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am sorry to say that Geoffrey Wellum died last year, :thumbdown:
A very personable fellow who like so many of his generation praised everyone for their exploits and would forget to mention his own,
And don't downplay the Brazilian contribution to the allied war effort, :thumbup:
Whichever side ones countrymen/women fight in a war and no matter how many of them give their lives if it is your husband/wife/ father/mother/brother/sister or friend it hurts and is very personal and the loss is 100%.
Tamiyas electrics are overdue a re-vamp but the detail of their kits is superb,
If you are familier with R/C Electronics buying the kit sans electrics and fitting aftermarket kit might be the way forward ,
Danville is certainly the place to go for all things Tamiya,
If you are limited in your knowledge of all things 1/16 Armour I would suggest a Heng Long Tiger 1 V6.0/1(Spacious interior/Sherman Cramped) or the Taigen Tiger 1 early or late Version 3 from Imex Florida, The main man there is Erik and he is a bit of a legend in the hobby, Vary helpful.
Duxford is more than an airfield it is also a part of the Imperial War Museum and you must visit the American memorial hanger,
If it flew and has the slightest involvement with the USA it will be in there B17 yup B24 yup B29 Yup B52 why not and of course plenty of single seat piston and turbine aircraft,
Other hangers have armoured vehicles as well as military and civilian types including Concorde.
If you do come to the UK for Duxford you should rent a car and visit the Tank Museum at Bovington,
Rated as one of the most comprehensive in the World.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Welcome along!
jim2955
Recruit

Post by jim2955 »

Northeast of Illinois ! , we are basically neighbors . I am near Kalamazoo Michigan. Welcome to RC tanks .

Return to “Introduce Yourself”