Hello from South Wales

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.

Postby TxRx » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi all, been lurking here for a while picking up lots of useful information and admiring some of your fine work and now finally got round to registering.
My interests are principally in the technology that can be used to control these tanks but will also try my hand at body mods and painting at some point.
I’ve had a Heng long Tiger for a little while now that I’ve modified to be controlled by a PS4 controller via a remote raspberry pi and have just recently picked up a Heng Long Leopard 2a6 that I’m looking to fit out with an Arduino mega using the open panzer software to control it.

I’ll create a thread with my tanks in when I get some time to reassemble them.
Cheers
Matt

TxRx
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:19 pm
Location: Abergavenny, South Wales

Postby square4 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:42 pm

Welcome, as you say plenty of good info on here, and I will be looking forward to your electrical exploits as
that's something I need loads of help with :eh:
User avatar
square4
Private
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am
Location: Southport

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi, I am in Abertillery, and joined the South Wales Rc 4x4 & military group on Facebook. They run tanks occasionally down at Rhoose Point, which is a great place.

I have done the Arduino TCB, if you look in the electronics section you can catch up on the chatter. :clap:
User avatar
wibblywobbly
Major
 
Posts: 6240
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:30 am
Location: South Wales Valley

Postby Model Builder 4 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:24 am

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum, I'm not too far away from you also, I'm over in Merthyr :D there's not many of us up this way but as wibbly mentioned, groups sometimes meet up at Rhoose point near Barry :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
User avatar
Model Builder 4
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:46 pm
Location: South Wales valleys

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:43 am

Welcome, Matt! This Forum certainly lures some creative folk in.
...A tank controlled by a PS4 unit and Raspberry Pi? :crazy: ..whatever next? 8O :D You'll be able to help broaden the scope of tank control systems, by the sound of it :thumbup:
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Captain
 
Posts: 4120
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby TxRx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:07 am

square4 wrote:Welcome, as you say plenty of good info on here, and I will be looking forward to your electrical exploits as
that's something I need loads of help with :eh:


Thanks! I’ll post some details up when I get some time, I see others on here have done some similar work; wibblywobbly being a good example.

TxRx
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:19 pm
Location: Abergavenny, South Wales

Postby TxRx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:09 am

Model Builder 4 wrote:Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum, I'm not too far away from you also, I'm over in Merthyr :D there's not many of us up this way but as wibbly mentioned, groups sometimes meet up at Rhoose point near Barry :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.


Hi Lee, thanks for the welcome I’m in Abergavenny currently (work in Oakdale) but am actually looking to move to Barry in the new year so that would work out well, I’ve also joined a couple of FB groups as I recently got into crawlers as well so I suspect you are on those already? As I’ve seen some of the meet-ups mentioned.
Cheers

TxRx
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:19 pm
Location: Abergavenny, South Wales

Postby TxRx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:16 am

wibblywobbly wrote:Hi, I am in Abertillery, and joined the South Wales Rc 4x4 & military group on Facebook. They run tanks occasionally down at Rhoose Point, which is a great place.

I have done the Arduino TCB, if you look in the electronics section you can catch up on the chatter. :clap:

Hi Wibbly, I’ve seen your thread and also your posts on the open panzer forum (and on a couple of fb groups I joined recently)I got my mega board yesterday and got the tiger up and running with a couple of hobbywing 1060 esc I had in other models so need to start working out the turret stuff next. I’m also messing around with fpv with GPS overlays although I’m not sure how easy it will be to drive via goggles!
I work in Oakdale so just up the road from you and live in Abergavenny at the moment but looking to move Barry way in the new year, I’ve also got a couple of crawlers that I’ve taken out a few times with a couple of guys from work so would be good to meet-up at some point.
Cheers

TxRx
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:19 pm
Location: Abergavenny, South Wales

Postby TxRx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:20 am

43rdRecceReg wrote:Welcome, Matt! This Forum certainly lures some creative folk in.
...A tank controlled by a PS4 unit and Raspberry Pi? :crazy: ..whatever next? 8O :D You'll be able to help broaden the scope of tank control systems, by the sound of it :thumbup:


Thanks for the welcome!
My day job is developing systems for the military so I spend some time round the real equipment, makes sense to spend my evening doing similar stuff :haha: :haha:

TxRx
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:19 pm
Location: Abergavenny, South Wales

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:56 pm

TxRx wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Welcome, Matt! This Forum certainly lures some creative folk in.
...A tank controlled by a PS4 unit and Raspberry Pi? :crazy: ..whatever next? 8O :D You'll be able to help broaden the scope of tank control systems, by the sound of it :thumbup:


Thanks for the welcome!
My day job is developing systems for the military so I spend some time round the real equipment, makes sense to spend my evening doing similar stuff :haha: :haha:


:O ...I wonder if the Chinese and Russians (or other favourite 'threats') know that the British defence system is actually controlled by a solitary Raspberry Pi....and 'Chain Home' managed by a revised Sinclair Spectrum :D
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Captain
 
Posts: 4120
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby jarndice » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:31 am

My introduction to the world of computing came in the 70s after reading an advertisement in the Daily Telegraph for a thing called a Sinclair ZX80,
I sent my cheque off (No internet or Debit Cards) and a week later a large parcel was delivered, It contained two large books and lots of little boxes,
One book was a teach yourself "Basic" the other was "How to build a computer",
I learnt more about soldering in the following week than all the time I spent at college and in the workshop studying mechanical engineering,
There was almost no memory in the thing but it did teach me how to get the very best from every byte,
After wearing out the keyboard it was time for a change.
I elevated my computing to the lofty height's of the Spectrum 48 k,
Ahh Nirvana :lolno:
I look at what Computer World are selling and I feel like crying at the memory available on modern home PCs and the waste that so called programmers incorporate into almost every application to be found on them.
They don't know their born :haha:
Yes I know I am getting old :(
Sorry Matt, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
We look forward to all the help you can give us in the field of electrickery, "Ref" Catweasle :haha:
User avatar
jarndice
Major
 
Posts: 5507
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am
Location: the mountains of hertfordshire

Postby TxRx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 pm

jarndice wrote:After wearing out the keyboard it was time for a change.
I elevated my computing to the lofty height's of the Spectrum 48 k,

Sorry Matt, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
We look forward to all the help you can give us in the field of electrickery, "Ref" Catweasle :haha:


Thanks for the welcome, as it happens I have “Over the spectrum” book and C64 assembly language course with cassette on my work desk that I show to the new graduates; some don’t even know what the cassette is!

TxRx
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:19 pm
Location: Abergavenny, South Wales

Postby General Jumbo01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:56 pm

Ah, but heard yesterday that in 2019 vinyl outsold CDs. My surprise shows my age - CDs are old hat now whilst good old vinyl is trendy!

Welcome to the forum :wave:
User avatar
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:06 pm
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:Ah, but heard yesterday that in 2019 vinyl outsold CDs. My surprise shows my age - CDs are old hat now whilst good old vinyl is trendy!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

:D
Maybe codpieces will come back into fashion too! :D
Wasn't there a time when folk scoffed at dated Soviet retro aircraft technology? It was said that the MiG 29 still had wires, pulleys and electronic valves, instead of 'fly-by-wire' tech, and digital systems.
Then it emerged that Nuclear blast EMP (or even the Sun's own roughly decennial outburst of EMP) could totally neutalise sophisticated Western tech in planes and communications, where valve- powered Soviet forces could indulge in a lazy afternoon's incursion, without fear of redress.
Come to think of it; they can do that anyway :lolno:
As a music studio enthusiast, I've long appreciated (and preferred) the sound- if the not the hum- of valve amps.
Ooops..Flin Da Fi..and back to Wales. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Captain
 
Posts: 4120
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby General Jumbo01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:41 pm

There's nothing like the rich sound of analogue but given recent new or old remastered vinyl are all digitally mastered so.... What's the point? I've bought new copies of albums l already have and they sound terrible! And now we've bought back aircraft carriers to our fleet we can't afford to run them both so we are trying to lease one to the US! Russia is so happy - only last week they declared their joy at having two new huge sitting duck targets to play with. Progress.

Wales, nevertheless, seems to be a well supported place for RC tank retailers and clubs. Must find an excuse to visit.
User avatar
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:06 pm
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(


Return to Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests