Hello from Hohenfels Bavaria

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
SEAN66
Private

Re: Hello from Hohenfels Bavaria

Post by SEAN66 »

Jarndice
A few of the German shops are selling a Heng Long Chally 2 with 'metal gear box and plastic wheels and track, or a the same tank with the metal wheels and track and metal gearbox but plastic hull.
not really on a budget but again don't want to spend money on a tank that is just to get a feel of the hobby.
my thinking was go all plastic and then use the winter to upgrade and learn more.
regards
Sean
H/L Challenger 2
H/L Stug III (Building)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Sean I would suggest you go all Plastic and then as you get familiar with the hobby and the various aftermarket options that are highlighted on this Forum (Decent Taigen Gearboxes etc) you can start building YOUR Tank,
Scroll through the Challenger 2 builds to get an idea of what you can do and how to do it,
It is a big Tank with lots of parts so take your time,
It is supposed to be RTR (Ready to Run) but there are extra sprues carrying tools and fittings that are supposed to highlight the Tank BUT Metal detailed Parts are available from dealers so think twice before going haywire with the glue and if you intend to paint your Tank then all the more reason not to fit the extras until the painting is done.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Welcome!

One thing to bear in mind about the Challenger II is that the plastic hull is ‘bendy’ to say the least! Some cheap aluminium angle to brace it with is an easy fix...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

HenhLongs new v6.0 is far superior to their v5.3 Mick and their prices on eBay can be the same (my Tiger 1 was cheaper than any other tiger 1 of any version). The new MFU is so good may not need to change it as it supports all sorts of other upgrades, including planned ones to be released.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Hello, Sean, and welcome aboard from the Motor City. When I was in the Army I was stationed at Katterbach which is just 4 klicks from Ansbach, and we used to come out where you are all the time for field exercises.

I'll be looking forward to seeing photos of whatever tank you buy, and if you want my recommendation, I say get the cheap HL Panzer 3 to start with. Either that, or the HL tiger one. Cheap to start with and easily upgradeable, and if you decide you don't like the hobby after all, you don't really have very much money into it.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Challenger fever struck here back in the winter of 2015. :) You'll find lots of references to it from that time, for that reason. I got one then, but have not done much with it since that time, as my primary interest is in WW2 armour.
Still, it is a great BRITISH tank, and I think most would agree that Heng Long upped their game when they produced it in plastic. In fact, they've been upping their game ever since. :thumbup:
Christian Ludwig (lately struck by a recent workshop inferno- thanks to a freakish LiPo incident) is one of our design maestros. Here you'll find some interesting, (if somewhat advanced- for the beginner), upgrades for the Chally.
Top of the list is an internal frame that should make your prospective Chally as tough as a Tonka. :D (Though I wouldn't try using one as a spare wheel for your car...das waere Unsinn :D )
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Chall ... 0Tank.html
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
SEAN66
Private

Post by SEAN66 »

Hi Max-U52,
I came here to work from Katterbach, I lived in Illesheim and drove to Katterbach everyday to work at the SSA. then when this job came up I moved over a few months ago. I also worked in Grafenwohr at the Army Pre positioned stock set.
regards
Sean
H/L Challenger 2
H/L Stug III (Building)
SEAN66
Private

Post by SEAN66 »

thanks for all the Information, and great welcome.
I bit the bullet and ordered a Heng Long Chally 2
so I will hopefully get it this weekend.
regards
Sean
H/L Challenger 2
H/L Stug III (Building)
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Welcome. Spent some time at Hohenfels in the mid 90s doing our mine training before deploying to Bosnia in support of IFOR. They detonated a 40lb. anti-tank mine under a Gamma Goat to show us what an anti-tank mine could do to a vehicle. It was quite impressive. Nice choice of tank. Probably won't be your last... :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
SEAN66
Private

Post by SEAN66 »

hello Tankme.
ive already been looking around for a cheap project to learn on over the winter,
as well as plans for the Chally for the winter.
regards
sean
H/L Challenger 2
H/L Stug III (Building)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”