Joining

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
vegaskip
Recruit

Joining

Post by vegaskip »

Hi my name is Jim( vegaskip) ex RN, ex Firefighter, now long retired. Live in Auchtermuchty Scotland. New to Tanks, but enjoying it.
Two tanks at present HL Tiger1 and T90. Other 'hobby' painting in Watercolour, mostly ships, although I have done a couple of Tanks.
Looking forward to exploring the Forum
Jim
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Joining

Post by Max-U52 »

Welcome aboard, Jim, from the Motor City. We have a couple of members who live in Scotland and are decent guys so hopefully one or more of them will be close enough to you to get together from time to time. Can't wait to see photos of your tanks.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
vegaskip
Recruit

Post by vegaskip »

0196EB57-2491-4F53-92AD-F388E3556986.jpeg
Tanks, more or less out of the box, a little weathering and 'cargo' + a wee watercolour sketch of two Abrams
Jim
Attachments
079CEFFC-8FD1-4196-9197-715FEB83FBDA.jpeg
80CF86E3-7BE3-4B1B-B8B6-22A769475A9D.jpeg
square4
Lance Corporal

Post by square4 »

Welcome, both good looking, as is your painting, the paintings at bottom of tiger photo look very interesting.
I never finish anyth
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Very cool. I see I'm not the only one that needs to take that 4-Digit number off my tiger. The Germans only use three digits on the turrets of their tanks. I believe the first digit was the company, the second digit is the platoon, and the third digit is the tank number. I think.

So what's the story behind your username? Is it Vega skip, or Vegas Kip? I'm sure there's an interesting story behind that.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
vegaskip
Recruit

Post by vegaskip »

Thank you. The stuff along the bottom are thumbnails of my other paintings.
Jim
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The painting with the two Abrams is very cool. Has kind of an impressionist flavor to it. If they had tanks when Monet was alive ... @)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Vega/Jim Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
Max has very gently pointed out the B Awful Heng Long decals,
We all learned after listening and researching our Tanks that the best place to put them was in the bin :lolno: They are almost all inaccurate and look wrong..
Peddinghaus is one supplier who makes some very accurate ones,
As to the Tank, Heng Long and Taigen have for as many years as I have been putting up with them sold the Tiger 1 with a number of Basic mistakes,
Two of those mistakes are clearly on view the first is the Cupola,
It should be remounted with the Cupola Hatch hinge in the 20 to 8 position looking from the front, This will bring the commanders viewing slit to the straight ahead position,
The cupola comes from Heng Long lightly glued into the wrong position but inserting a blade in a viewing slit and gently I SAID GENTLY lift the cupola, , now do the same in the opposite viewing slit, You should hear a cracking noise that is the glue failing, continue until the cupola is free.
You will notice that the base of the cupola has a slot which fits over a retaining knob,
That knob is in the wrong place as the actress said to the young virgin,
File it down and replace the cupola in the correct position, I would not glue it down this early in your ownership of the Tiger,
The other failing is the Duplicated Aerial Stowage Tube,
Apart from the Tiger 1 Command Tank there was only one stowage tube and that was on the right side of the engine bay, (Left and right are taken from the drivers position looking forward),
If you get the blade of a craft knife under the end of the faux tube at the front and start cutting to the rear you will discover it will with a little persuasion peel off in one piece.
Trust me within weeks you will be more skilled than a Brain Surgeon while working on your tank.
The glue on the Decals is not that strong so if you can get a thumb nail under an edge you should with care be able to peel them off,
You will need to wipe the glue off with Acrylic thinners.
I am sure you will have lots of questions , We enjoy answering them :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Welcome to the forum Jim :wave: couple of nice looking tanks you have already, be prepared for a lot more to be joining them ;) this hobby is very addictive :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A Warm welcome to the Forum, Jim, from a rather soggy Wester Ross (Loch Ewe)! I think you'll find plenty to distract yourself with here on RCTW, and with the spectrum of things discussed- and illustrated, here. We're not constrained to talk about RC tanks all the time. :)... But this is certainly the right resource for finding out aboot them. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”