Newbie to this forum and Tanks

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Daleb
Recruit

Newbie to this forum and Tanks

Post by Daleb »

Hi all,
just a quick introduction, my name is Dale I'm a 60 year old from the south coast of UK.
I've been making models on and off since childhood including balsa gliders, Tamiya static military vehicles and racing cars followed by RC cars, planes and over the recent years RC boats mostly plank on hull type.
I have always fancied the idea of a military Tank circa WW2 and have been looking about for a while but like anything new it's all a bit confusing as to which brand, spec to go for as a first purchase.
I must say I'm very tempted to go for an RTR to get me going but just not sure which direction for example the cheaper end like a plastic Teng Long or am I better off going for a metal Torro or Taigen RTR for example...as we all know it's easy to get carried away with our hobby but just want something that is usable, reliable and to scale ish. Thank you for accepting me to your fab forum, I've had so much fun reading up but now a little confused as to which direction to go :D Help....Dale
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Newbie to this forum and Tanks

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Dale :wave:

Oh dear, another new member with a what to buy dilemma.
1. How deep are your pockets?
2. Are you likely to expand your collection without much care towards upper limits?

I ask, because as you're already into model making, you may end up wanting one of the more expensive Tamiya kits eventually. Therefore, do you want to spare some cash for that, and just get the cheapest run around for a bit of fun, and maybe upgrading for modelling experience with a tank. Or, on the other hand, would you still be tempted to get a mid priced ready to run that already has the upgrades?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.

Enjoy the forum.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hello and welcome to the forum from the USA :wave: Glad to have you along. Welcome to the addictive hobby of rc tanks....

Your wallet will begin to get lighter but it is a very rewarding hobby experience :lolno:

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Daleb
Recruit

Post by Daleb »

Many thanks for the welcome guys, still not sure but leaning towards a bottom end Heng Long and upgrading along the way plus doing a paint job...maybe Sherman ( cause I really want to build a LCM3 Landing craft :D ) but I also fancy an early Tiger...hey ho but what a fab hobby eh!! :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

LOL. I started with A tiger lol, that didn't last long, got about 6 now, and at least ten Sherman's all in bits lol.
The more I saw, the more variants I wanted, now there's no singular theme.
I would have preferred a few British tanks, but I get more for my money starting with the low end Heng Long tanks to get the variety I want.
I hope you get started soon :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

Hello and welcome to the Forum! I know that you will enjoy it here. I know that I have in my short time here.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Welcome along :)
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Dale and welcome along to this great forum :wave:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Since you are on line, have a good search through as many shops as you can. If you are UK based (did you ever race at Eastbourne or Southampton?) then Forgebear are your best bet for Taigen/Torro - he can do you a RTR tank landing craft too! - and DingDing focusses on Henglong.

Whatever way you go, make absolutely sure you get the very latest radio system with it as older stock will contain older radio versions and a lot has happened over the past few months.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Daleb
Recruit

Post by Daleb »

Hi all,
Well to round off my introduction post, I have after much thought and research gone and done the deed. Today I have ordered from Dave at Forgebear one of his unpainted 76mm Shermans,
I think this is just about right for me as a newb to Tanks and will allow me to paint/weather/detail the Tank as I go but also get it up and running quickly :D
I would like to thank everyone who has made this forum such a great source of information and I'm very excited about my new direction in RC and modelling :thumbup:
Cheers
Dale.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”