Hello from Virginia

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Hello from Virginia

Post by Max-U52 »

Welcome aboard from the Motor City. You might be new to this forum but it sounds like you're an old hand with RC and it's always great to see an experienced modeler join up.

I assume you've checked out the museum in Danville?

Since the M-36 was VVSS you might want to look at the Taigen lower hull for your M-36 build. It's a solid metal lower and Imex is just south of you in Florida so I'm sure Erik can hook you up with whatever you need. If you use the Tamiya chassis and change to VVSS he might even have parts for that. Or maybe I'm wrong and they made an M-36 with HVSS? It wouldn't surprise me, since there must be eleventy zillion different variants of that old workhorse, The Sherman. 8)

So, John, I'd say welcome to the Dark Side of RC, but it sounds like you crossed that line at a tender age, so you already know how addictive it is. @) @)

Looking forward to more photos of your tanks. If that KT is any indication they should be worth lookin' at. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Max-U52 wrote:Since the M-36 was VVSS you might want to look at the Taigen lower hull for your M-36 build. It's a solid metal lower and Imex is just south of you in Florida so I'm sure Erik can hook you up with whatever you need. If you use the Tamiya chassis and change to VVSS he might even have parts for that. Or maybe I'm wrong and they made an M-36 with HVSS? It wouldn't surprise me, since there must be eleventy zillion different variants of that old workhorse, The Sherman. 8)
Yep, they mostly had the VVSS on the M4A3 chassis (bottom hull), with both the M10 and M4A3 top hulls, to make up the M36 and M36-B1's, with only the few M36-B2's produced having the M4A2 chassis under the M10 hull. There was however a few M36's converted to E9's.
It is possible/feasible that a few Jackson's may have had the HVSS during WW2, but they would be very rare.
:{ gosh, I've turned nerd :{
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Conan_the_Hungarian
Recruit

Post by Conan_the_Hungarian »

Thanks again everyone!

Anyone ever try mounting Nick's resin M36 turret on a Mato M10 upper hull? What did or would you use for turret rotation?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Conan_the_Hungarian wrote:Thanks again everyone!

Anyone ever try mounting Nick's resin M36 turret on a Mato M10 upper hull? What did or would you use for turret rotation?
I now have his hull and turret, and I noticed the hole (in the hull) diameter is about 5mm bigger than the Heng Long and Mato hull holes. I can have a proper look at the turret etc later.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Conan_the_Hungarian
Recruit

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the info. So I take it that Nick makes a full hull for the M36 as well? Or are you referring to the Sherman hull I believe he made?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Conan_the_Hungarian wrote:Hi Mick,

Thanks for the info. So I take it that Nick makes a full hull for the M36 as well? Or are you referring to the Sherman hull I believe he made?
Oops, yeah, I have the Sherman hull. Best to send him an email and ask him :thumbup:

Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Conan_the_Hungarian wrote:Anyone ever try mounting Nick's resin M36 turret on a Mato M10 upper hull? What did or would you use for turret rotation?
I believe the Mato M10 uses a standard HL turret motor and ring. If that is true then simply cut the lugs off the base of the M36 turret that would otherwise engage the Tamiya sherman Turret ring, and cut down a scrap HL turret base to jam into the opening in the bottom of the M36 turret. I've done this with mine to mount it on the Vandra M10 upper hull.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I had an email chat with Nick last night. Sadly he doesn't produce an M10 upper hull and he only works with the Tamiya sized hole and rotation ring.
Therefore the advice that Mr Tiger6 gives is probably the only way to do it.

Conan_the_Hungarian
Recruit

Thanks for obtaining and providing that information. Greatly appreciated. Now I have a better idea of how to approach this project.

I have the M36 parts that Nick makes, as well as the Easy8 conversion. Nick's castings are fantastic, and his service is exceptional.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”