Hello from Pennsylvania

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
BrokenSprocket
Recruit

Hello from Pennsylvania

Post by BrokenSprocket »

Broken down 58 year old with 30 years of automotive experience under my belt , specializing in electronics. I have a DJI 3 drone but am making the switch to tanks because of 2 neck fusion surgeries. Like most people I'm looking for most bang for my buck. I'm looking at the plastic Taigen Tiger late model and upgrading to their best steel gears and motors, metal drive sprocket and idler and possibly metal tracks. Getting the infrared model and want it as fast as I can get it. Are the Heng long parts the same as the Taigen?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Mr BrokenSprocket.

To be honest, if you are looking at Taigen tanks, you may as well purchase their higher percentage metal versions with steel gears to start with. By the time you add up all the metal parts for upgrading, it would work out a better deal to have purchased a ready to run already upgraded.

If I remember correctly, the late Taigen Tiger 1 should come with a metal torsion bar suspension chassis, and all metal running gear.

Just check what's listed within the tanks description.

Hope that helps.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome from Illinois and I agree. I started with a Heng Long Tiger and I’ve replaced just about everything with Taigen metal aftermarket stuff. Looking through the threads on this forum is very enlightening to say the least. You will have fun for sure.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, oh Broken one, from a Highland derelict :thumbup:
Most Heng Long and Taigen parts are fairly interchangeable- to answer your question. Taigen is perhaps seen as the more upmarket spinoff from Heng Long; but Heng Long's latest models are a quantum leap forward from its early offerings. They're now more 'models' than 'toys' these days (an important distinction for some adults :lolno: ;) )
Depending on the model you opt for, there may be quite a few aftermarket upgrades; more so from Taigen than Heng Long, maybe, but- as I said their parts are largely interchangeable. :D
If you went for a Tiger 1, for example, one of the most useful options is the Taigen version with an alloy hull. Other metal bits are not necessarily so useful, though metal tracks sound great on concrete.
Most people begin to tinker after a while, but it's a good idea to have a solid basis to build on- like the Taigen chassis/hull :thumbup:
More than anything, it's just fun finding out what suits you...and your wallet, of course. :shh:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
thestig
Lance Corporal

Post by thestig »

Hi Broken Sprocket:

Welcome to a great forum, populated by extremely talented hobbyist who, as you have already
discovered, are willing to help and offer advise if asked.

I have a Taigen all metal Tiger I and all metal Sherman, and have been completely satisfied with each.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

thestig
Aka: Frank

Ps. Where in Pa. are you located? I live in Lancaster County.
BrokenSprocket
Recruit

Post by BrokenSprocket »

thestig wrote:Hi Broken Sprocket:

Welcome to a great forum, populated by extremely talented hobbyist who, as you have already
discovered, are willing to help and offer advise if asked.

I have a Taigen all metal Tiger I and all metal Sherman, and have been completely satisfied with each.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

thestig
Aka: Frank

Ps. Where in Pa. are you located? I live in Lancaster County.
I live in Tioga County, north of you.
BrokenSprocket
Recruit

Post by BrokenSprocket »

Thank you for all the info. I have one more question. What tank would you recommend for outdoor use? I've read and seen some videos on certain tanks that don't do so well in the grass. Plus some of the switches on some of the tanks are on the bottom. We are building a course in my back yard, it will have grass, a 30 degree grade and water/mud
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wardog wrote:OK a metal tank for all seasons.switches that can be reached from above.battery inside.and make sure the tank is water tight.
I think henglong has bought out a full metal tank,a tiger 1/6 maybe an 1/16 as well.its a good start.
Was seen on youtube
I believe that's 1/8th scale and it's horrendously expensive.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Any Plastic or metal hull with switches in the base can be easily modified.
The Taigen Panzer 4 metal hull comes with switches in the floor,
It is an easy job to remove them and using a cut to size piece of 3mm plasticard and a smear of filler the hull floor can be filled,
Using a 3mm thick piece of plasticard you can make a switch board containing a power switch, a smoker switch and a volume control that goes over the gearboxes and under the driver/radio ops hatches,
The early Heng Long Panzer 4 had the battery in the floor, relocating the battery is easy and dremelling the battery box out of the hull floor is no kind of challenge, screw the battery cover back in place then skim the area around the cover with filler do the same job with the power, smoker and volume control switches as you would with the Taigen PZ4 metal hull.
The Panzer 4 is an example that can be just as easily done to any Metal or Plastic hull on any Tank in the Heng Long/Taigen range.
A word of warning if you do start cutting out parts from the interior of a hull make sure you are not removing those parts that hold the hull to the body unless that is you have come up with an alternative method of locking the two halves together, (Like Neo-Dymion Magnets)
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
BrokenSprocket
Recruit

Post by BrokenSprocket »

Wardog wrote:OK a metal tank for all seasons.switches that can be reached from above.battery inside.and make sure the tank is water tight.
I think henglong has bought out a full metal tank,a tiger 1/6 maybe an 1/16 as well.its a good start.
Was seen on youtube
That's part of the problem with finding a tank is the newer ones don't have unboxing video's and the pictures only show the tops. I guess I'll get a hold of Eric at Taigen and ask him what he thinks

Return to “Introduce Yourself”