Hello from Monmouthshire

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
ChieftainMk1
Recruit

Hello from Monmouthshire

Post by ChieftainMk1 »

Hello everyone, I'm Colin and live near Raglan in Monmouthshire. I'm new to Radio Controlled Tank Warfare, but not to radio control. Also, I'm not new to tanks, having served in the 4th Royal Tank Regiment way back when! Looking around for my first ( 1/16th ) tank. Looking for clubs / other tankers nearby.
Chieftain Mk5
Panther BB
Panther IR
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hello from Monmouthshire

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Colin :wave:

Pleased to have you aboard.

Gosh, you're after advice for your first tank. Well, that depends on two main things, what era, as in modern or WW2 is your preference, and how fat is your wallet (for the moment), tanks range from around £100 for a cheap and cheerful basic plastic one, to an all singing dancing totally metal for around £2000.

Heng Long is the cheap starting point, which can spiral in price with upgrades and more. Then comes Taigen or Torrow, already has many upgrades as standard, and depending on what tank, can be a rewarding entry level ready to run.
And, if you like kits and building, there is always full option Tamiya kits.

The choice is yours and your funds ;)

Again, welcome to the forum.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Colin and welcome to the forum :wave: take a look around the site and see if there's any tanks in particular that grabs your attention ( everyone has their personal favourites ) as Mick mentioned, dependent on your wallet it's basically up to you if you want a ready to run all finished tank or something a little cheaper that you'd be willing to work on, keep an eye out in the 'for sale' section and you may be able to pick up something that you will be happy with and within your budget :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hallo Colin, Welcome to the Forum :wave: :thumbup: :clap:
Rather than ask what your preference in Tanks might be I am going to warn you about the shysters and neer do wells who would like to relieve you of your money and give you grief in return,
We are fortunate to have some quality dealers who will help you to choose and will look after you after your purchase,
I shall offer a short list of decent honest people but there are plenty of others,
If you are ever in doubt you could do worse than ask the Forum but first the list,
http://www.howesmodels.co.uk
Primarily the Cheap end of our hobby and has a proper bricks and mortar model shop in Kidlington, Oxfordshire.
http://www.rctank.de/
A German Dealer with a wide range of spares and Dom is a very helpful dealer.
http://www.forgebeartanks.com
Probably the most helpful of all the dealers in our hobby and Dave is a member of this Forum,
Based in Bedfordshire primarily a Taigen official dealer but he WILL get you anything if you ask, His on line shop is an alladin's cave.
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/en/
Another German Dealer, He will sell you the Tamiya range of Armour and spares which is a brand universally recognised as the pinnacle in our hobby,
Not cheap but his prices are as competitive as any in this over priced madhouse.
Enjoy the Forum and please ask questions and any help you can give the Forum will go down very well with us all.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome, Colin! I’m also a “new guy” but I’ve learned a lot in my short time here. I started with an inexpensive Heng Long brand Tiger 1 but there’s not much of the original tank left except for the upper hull and electronics. Practically everything else has been upgraded. Definitely a learning curve involved but everyone on this forum is friendly and knowledgeable. Have fun.
Last edited by Jimster on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

Hi mate welcome to the forum
ChieftainMk1
Recruit

Post by ChieftainMk1 »

Thank you all for the welcome. I have some ideas lurking up in the grey matter. Just ordered a "Panther" from ebay, and I've put an order in for a chieftain in Cardiff. The only one that does a chieftain as I can see. I shall have to wait for it, and it wont be cheap. The Heng Long Leopard 2A6 also looks quite nice, and I have my eye on that one as well.
Im coming up to 73 in May, back to my 2nd childhood I think. The only difference from "boys" and their "toys", and "men" and their "toys" is the price :haha: :crazy:
Chieftain Mk5
Panther BB
Panther IR
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Colin, welcome and can't wait to see your Chieftain thread, it sounds interesting.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild

Return to “Introduce Yourself”