Help

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
C4wolf
Recruit

Help

Post by C4wolf »

Hello all from Michigan! Hope this finds all having a grrreat start to the new year.
Chuck is my name and clearly i cant follow very easy mapped out directions... sorry
Just getting back into modeling with a m41 walker bulldog. Did a few kits of tanks and planes as a kid.... but thanks to this forum n utude.. i am a 1000 times better already at modrling.
Have a couple questions for all... may sound very very simple to you... however i went as far as 9th grade... so a little help would be much appreciated...
In a 1/35th scale... lets say i wanted to make an 8 foot tow cable... how many inches would that be??
Also ... what would be proper lenght/width/height- in inches for sand bags,,, 50cal ammo boxes..??
Thanks so much for help.....
Respectfully
Just a dumd grunt.... chuck :D
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Help

Post by RobW »

Welcome, and I've no idea what 9th grade is....

1/35 scale means every 35 inches of full scale tank is 1 inch on the model. This probably explains things slightly better, but not why they're mixing units!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Welcome along Mr C4, don’t worry about questions, we all need them answered at times.
I make it 2.75 inches, but I’ve been wrong before!
96 inches divided by 35 gives you the 1/35th of an 8 ft rope
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome.

Well, in 35th scale, we know a 6 foot man is fractionally over 2 inches, therefore a foot is 1/3rd of an inch (although, again, in reality, it's slightly over).

2 and 2/3rd inches is close to 8 foot. (More accurately it's 2.74 inches.

This is where metric comes in handy, rounded up, it's 8.71mm to the foot. And 8 foot is more accurately 69.67mm.

The simplest way to work out scale is start with a 6 foot (72 inch) man. Divide 72 inches by the scale, in this case 35th, then you get the figure height. Knowing it's six foot, divide by six, then multiply the answer by the number of foot you want.
If you want to know the metric, just multiply the answer by 25.4, it's accurate enough :thumbup:

Or do it herman's way, divide the number of inches in 8 foot by the scale. (I have a habit of wanting to know figure heights lol)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: The simplest way to work out scale is start with a 6 foot (72 inch) man. Divide 72 inches by the scale, in this case 35th, then you get the figure height. Knowing it's six foot, divide by six, then multiply the answer by the number of foot you want.
If you want to know the metric, just multiply the answer by 25.4, it's accurate enough :thumbup:
I think you were right when you suggested Herman's approach..... :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Yeah lol. A case of old habits and knowing scale figure heights, weird how one does things like that, and miss the blindingly obvious :haha: I blame it on my age :{

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I am pretty good with the old imperial measurements but of course metric is easier.
I always go by inches to the foot - in this case 8 feet is 96 inches, then divide that by your scale requirement.
The formula works for 16th, 35th etc.

One imperial inch is 25.4mm
1mm is 40 /thousands
But you left hand drivers can have it any way you like when you get into those mental 32nds & 64ths of an inch ones :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

For the scale we all work in here is the real size you want to reduce divided by 16 will give you the relevant required size in either measurement scale.

I found a Stuka the other day for sale, asked the guy what scale it was.............=dont know, gave me the models wingspan, I got the actual specs for a real one and worked out he has a 1/10th scale Stuka..................painted up as a bloody Spitfire :wtf: :wtf:
I almost want to buy it just to correct the awful travesty that is its paint scheme. :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Mind you Herman, in 16th scale, quite handy that tape measures and rulers have inches divided up into 16ths and in some cases 32nds, instant scale rulers ;)

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Mind you Herman, in 16th scale, quite handy that tape measures and rulers have inches divided up into 16ths and in some cases 32nds, instant scale rulers ;)
God !!, those are special orders here !!
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Eat your heart out, this is almost every tape and ruler sold here :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”