Hello all, I 'm new to the hobby

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
pvt. pyle
Recruit

Hello all, I 'm new to the hobby

Post by pvt. pyle »

Hello all, It seems I have been a treadhead all these years and just now have gotten into the RC tank world. I saw a program on amazon about Tiger 131 and saw Armourtek's tanks on display and jumped on the internet. Needless to say, I cannot afford a 1/6 scale armourtek and settled in on Henglong's tanks, for the money you cant beat them I guess. I am running into some problems which I will have to research them on the forum which has tons on info from what I have seen already, I am just glad this site is out there! Looking forward to this!
pvt. pyle
Recruit

Re: Hello all, I 'm new to the hobby

Post by pvt. pyle »

any guidance on henglongs and upgrades?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum pvt. pyle :wave:

Yes, sadly the 6th scale tanks can be a drain on ones wallet :(

As for 16th, it all depends on your wallet and how much you want to do. Heng Long can be fun, I personally like them, but they do run better with upgraded metal chassis and running gear, along with better gearboxes and control systems. But when you add that all up, you may as well get a Taigen with all that already installed. The latest Taigen electronics are only mildly better than the latest Heng Long.

As for detailing the upper and turret, the Tiger 1 has the best collection of extras, and probably the Sherman has the next.

Enjoy your time here.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
pvt. pyle
Recruit

Post by pvt. pyle »

yeah i have several henglongs, problems so far: broke tracks on the panther, sherman runs for 3 minutes and shuts off, cant shoot airsoft on 4 of the tanks all of a sudden, I charge a battery it lasts 5 minutes
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi pvt. Pyle and welcome along :wave: most people who join this fun hobby of ours do so by means of heng long tanks, these tanks are reasonabley priced and can help you determine if this hobby is for you without to much cash outlay, I personally started out with an heng long Sherman myself which has now gone through several changes and modifications. This forum is a great source for info and inspiration for one's builds also there is diverse range of members with different skills who are always happy to help out with any questions you may have :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

G'day Mr Pt.Pyle from the sunny Gold Coast of Australia out of New Zealand :thumbup:
The venerable H/L is the most common gateway-tank into the hobby, but as with anything in life-you get what you pay for.
Im quite happy to begin with the most basic H/L tank and carry out upgrades to it as the project continues.
A-its a sure fire way of getting the bits you want when you want them
B- its a great instructional lesson into the various intricacies and almost intimacies of rc tank building.
C- no great expensive consequence to an 'F;' up. :/ (Tamiyas will be one of those if you dont get it right)

If they were available easily down here, I would go Taigen all the time.
For me, the best balance of cost and effectiveness.
But that just my humble outlook on life.

Glad to have you along mate, plenty of pictures when you can, and please, above all, finish the project off so we can all see it progress from start to finish. Nothing worse than an unfinished build thread. :(
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

pvt. pyle wrote:yeah i have several henglongs, problems so far: broke tracks on the panther, sherman runs for 3 minutes and shuts off, cant shoot airsoft on 4 of the tanks all of a sudden, I charge a battery it lasts 5 minutes
Hello,
Do you use the battery and the original charger ? Heng Long batteries rarely do the indicated capacity :O ,when the charger,which is a vulgar power supply,do not allow to realize the state of ist battery before or end of charge :O
pvt. pyle
Recruit

Post by pvt. pyle »

Thanks for the welcome guys! Yes I went a bit bonkers and ended up with 7 Heng long tanks now! The upgrades do end up with as much as a Taigen your right, but I am having fun working on the detailing and about to repaint several of the tanks. I did purchase a venom charger to charge the batteries, I noticed the “charger” supplied was a power supply and I never knew if I was overcharging the batteries. I will upload some pics of the tiger build, I took one apart I picked up off eBay used to upgrade and white wash paint as a Russian front version. I need to find some new decals for it also.
essexbill
Private

Post by essexbill »

Hi and welcome.

7 HL tanks, that's quite a collection.
I had Walker Bulldog several years ago, the last couple of years I have been into RC cars, had a dabble with trucks but the club I was going to join closed while I was building mine so it only got run around the house a couple of times before being sold on. Last year it was boats started with 1 which never got sailed ,2nd one got a lot of cash spent on it to be sold at the end of the year to fund a bigger and better one. Bought 2 more one as a winter project the other for some fun sailing in the summer. While I am waiting for better weather I am trying tanks again. Looked at Tamiya kits and Taigen but thought I might spend a lot to have it sat on the shelf covered in dust so I after listening to people on here am starting with a HL Sherman ( it was going to be a Tiger but supplier sold out as I was about to order)
I plan on running it for a few weeks, visiting a couple of clubs and then deciding ihow far I want to progress with the hobby.
I have spent hours reading all the hints and tips in the forums, there really are some brilliant builders and very knowledgeable folks.
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

Hi mate and welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”