Hello from Derbyshire

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
essexbill
Private

Hello from Derbyshire

Post by essexbill »

Hello.

I live just outside Chesterfield in Derbyshire.
About 10 years ago I had a HL Walker Bulldog tinkered with it and tried my hand at weathering. I didnt like the sound system or the nasty recoil.

I ran it round the garden a few times but running solo became boring.

I did build a Tamiya Tiger for a friend and was very impressed with the sounds.

Lost touch with him and sold my Bulldog.

I also have an interest in Rc boats, but need something for the winter and non sailing days in the summer.
I am thinking of starting with a HL Sherman.
Looking for members or clubs in my area.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hello from Derbyshire

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum essexbill :wave:

Sadly this hobby isn't so widespread for clubs. There is one in Grantham which isn't too far away.

Heng Long Sherman's aren't too bad for sounds providing you get the latest duel sound edition with the silver fronted controller like this picture. Only trouble with Sherman's is that they are cramped inside for the larger aftermarket electronics should you be tempted to go that route.

Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Welcome.

Grantham (GLAD) is probably the closest, first Sunday of the month. I head over from Sheffield most months, and can leave SWMBO with the out laws :D
Dave (forgebear) tends to be over too so you can look at stuff before buying, or just save on postage: he's one of the recommended vendors on here.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Welcome along to the forum essexbill :wave: a Sherman would be a good start to your collection in my opinion ( I say collection as nobody just sticks to one tank :D ) I am a bit biased though as it is my favourite tank. There's plenty of variants and parts available for them if you do wish to change or modify it. As Mick has already mentioned the interior of the lower hull is a little cramped but if you are not adversed to using a dremel or similar cutting tool you can always cut the battery box out from inside which opens it out and gives a bit more space for after market boards etc, this is what I have done to mine. Please let us know what tank you choose and post some pics of it when you ready :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
essexbill
Private

Post by essexbill »

Thanks for your comments, cannot make the next Grantham event as I am away visiting family.
Will try and get to the January one though.
What needs doing to a HL Sherman to get it looking good.
Also is it worth the extra expense to get metal tracks and gear boxes?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

The H/L Sherman is a pretty good runner straight out of the box, looks wise you could just do some weathering and it would be a presentable looking tank, metal gears are a good idea if you are going to run metal track's and sprockets, be careful though as most who advertise as metal gears normally come with zinc or pot metal one's which are no better than the plastic gears, in my opinion you would be better off changing the gears to a steel set which can be bought fairly cheaply, the last set i bought was from Dave ( forgebear ) a vendor on this site and were about £20 and run great :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

I'd get a cheap 2.4GHz one and replace tracks & gearboxes etc as they break. My M3 is running (sort of) stock HL Sherman lower hull and works fine.

Edit: Grantham's FB page https://www.facebook.com/GranthamLightArmouredDivision/
yagen
Recruit

Post by yagen »

Hi essexbill,

nice to meet another new member. Can you perhaps add some pictures of your HL walker bulldog, please? I am interested in every model as I am always looking for possible future projects.
As for your running the tank around the garden: Thanks to my wife I am never alone when running my tank. At least one of our seven cats is always chasing after the tank trying to catch it :D Makes things quite funny!

Have a good time, kind regards,
Reinhard
essexbill
Private

Post by essexbill »

Hi Yagen.

Sadly I never got around to taking any photos of the Bulldog.
What have you started with?
essexbill
Private

Post by essexbill »

I was away for December meet at Grantham, hopefully will get over to the January meet.
Thanks for everyones comments about the sherman. I am also interested in the Tiger I dont have a plan yet but I seem to remeber that has been around for a few years other than 2.4 ghz has it had other improvments.

Thanks Guys

Return to “Introduce Yourself”