Yet Another GErman Newbie (YAGEN )

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Dark46
Lance Corporal

Re: Yet Another GErman Newbie (YAGEN )

Post by Dark46 »

Hi and welcome to the forums. Looks as though you've got you hands full in the start to your journey towards a every Collection. I started with 1 a few months ago and now have 6 with 1more on the way.
1:16
HL King Tiger ET, Taig King Tiger PT, Tam King Tiger PT
HL Tiger 1 x2, Taig Panther G, Taig Panzer III
Taig JS-2, Taig T34-85, Mato M4A1BN, Mato M10, HL M4a3 105mm, Taig M4a3 76mm
yagen
Recruit

Post by yagen »

jarndice wrote:Hi Reinhard, If you intend keeping the Taigen Body quick release I would suggest you do NOT cut out the Engine bay doors to fit working hinged metal doors because you will have to remove the body retaining legs as well and there will be nowhere for the Quick release to lock onto.
Thanks for your information. Alas, too late. After ordering the metal doors I realized that I would get into trouble removing the engine bay covers. Some thinking and a little work with some handy plastic blocks led to the following contraption:
DetailTaigenQuickRelease.jpg
If you place the plastic supports like I did, i.e. flush with the upper hull lower wall edge, you will have to remove approximately 2mm as the upper hull overlaps the lower hull walls. If you don't make these cuts, the quick release will no longer catch properly. However, it now works for me :D
Here's the top view of the new working engine bay covers.
EngineBayDoors.jpg
Btw. : One of the three supports for the turret rotation motor is also lost. However, it seems to work even with only two supports.
Kind regards,
Reinhard
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Dark46 wrote:Hi and welcome to the forums. Looks as though you've got you hands full in the start to your journey towards a every Collection. I started with 1 a few months ago and now have 6 with 1more on the way.
It's when you get to 30 or more and feel you still don't have enough you start to question yourself :{ :lolno:

Looks like you have a good grasp of this modelling game Reinhard :thumbup: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

[
EngineBayDoors.jpg
Btw. : One of the three supports for the turret rotation motor is also lost. However, it seems to work even with only two supports.
Kind regards,
Reinhard[/quote]

It's a case of "look before you leap!" Reinhard. However, part of the fun of this hobby is fixing one's own errors, as well as those by the Manufacturer. :D

Arnie DK has a detailed Pz IV thread that's worth checking out. Here's a thread I posted a while ago with images of the best Pz IV (1:6) I've ever clapped eyes :
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25074&p=237372&hili ... ld#p237372
Some of the earlier Pz IV threads have lost some of their photos thanks to Photobox dropping support, but still offer useful tips. :thumbup: Do check them out..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

Hi and welcome to the forum , great start on the Panzer IV
yagen
Recruit

Post by yagen »

43rdRecceReg wrote:It's a case of "look before you leap!" Reinhard. However, part of the fun of this hobby is fixing one's own errors, as well as those by the Manufacturer. :D
Sorry, my statement about the loss of the turret motor support was maybe misleading. I realised it before cutting the engine bay doors. There were some words directed to the manufacturer that I will not repeat here. Then I checked whether it would work with only two supports, then started cutting. I have learnt in my second hobby (classic cars in 1:1 scale) that own errors can be REALLY expensive :{

Thank you everyone for your "great start" appreciation. I am not sure if this is true, I still think the pictures look better then reality - no, I don't use photoshop :D

Thank you, too, for all the tips, hints and links you already sent me. Learnt a lot and will be able to avoid some traps still waiting ahead of me.

Kind regards,
Reinhard
yagen
Recruit

Post by yagen »

Hi Wardog,

there seems to exist a misunderstanding. I do not rush anything, even if it may seem so from my posts.
Actually my posts so far are a compilation of the last 3 weeks.
I bought my second hand HL rtr 2 months ago and, after two days of testing what it could do, started to take it apart. I tried to find out how the model was constructed, which parts were used. Then I took to the internet and googled for everything about the 16th scale panzer iv. I read lots of forum entries, viewed reviews on youtube and compared prices.
After all this, I decided to base my build on the Taigen metal lower hull, the Taigen / HL upper hull with metal IR turret (would have preferred a bare turret w/o electronics). The decision for the drivetrain fell only a few days ago after reading several reviews about Asiatam, Taigen, Matorro and other manufacturers. I was a little bit undecided whether to use Asiatam or Taigen, but as I could not find convincing information that would make me pay 30 € more for the Asiatam I opted for the Taigen.
The only problem I had not anticipated was the loss of the supports for the quick release hull lock (and a loose cable end on the turret electronics).
My problem is really that I am not very good at model building. I am a complete beginner handicapped by the fact that my hands often shake badly. However, I try my best.
Hope you do not feel offended by this message. I just felt a bit misunderstood. Believe me, I am not rushing things.

So long, best regards,
Reinhard

P.S. : I am currently respraying the metal doors for the third time. I have never used airbrush before and, though I head read a lot of howtos and test-sprayed some leftover material, something went badly wrong. Even though I had cleaned the parts removing all fat and oil remains the paint came off on the slightest touch of the parts. I removed the paint, tried again, alas with the same result. One more paint removing cycle. In the meantime, I have painted other parts and these are ok. So I am confident that I will get these doors finally painted :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am with you all the way WARDOG,
The biggest drawback of this kind of interaction is because you cannot be seen the facial expressions and the various gestures we make in conversation are lost and so the complexities of one to one conversation are missing,
The subtle nuances that are inherent in face to face conversation are absent so that the speakers true meaning is sometimes misunderstood and instead of a friendly word of advise it comes across as an accusation or insult.
It does not help if the speaker is not using their native language to describe a technical subject.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yeah, I totally agree with Mr jarndice, in real life I come across as less of an a***hole. . . . ;)

I believe this is one of the reasons for emotes :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
yagen
Recruit

Post by yagen »

Hi Wardog,

dont't worry, no offense taken. :angel: I just wanted to make clear that all I posted here within a matter of 2 days is the result of several weeks soaking up information, planning, testing and finally some (little) work on the final project.

I agree with you all that there are always some people who rush things and are not inclined to take any advice. I am thankful for every bit of information I can get and any criticism that helps me getting better.

So please accept my apologies if I may have sounded rude or angry. That was not my intention. :{

Kind regards,
Reinhard

Return to “Introduce Yourself”