New from Washington

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
RayJ
Recruit

New from Washington

Post by RayJ »

First I should point out that I live in Washington in the UK (Tyne and Wear), rather than that new town in the States. I'm 65 years old, and hoping to find other modellers in the area to meet up with.

I've always been fascinated with tanks, so now I'm looking to try radio control in 1/16 scale, with a view to bigger models in the future.

I have a Flashforge Dreamer 3D printer, which I normally use for 1/144 scale wargaming, but I'm looking forward to (or is that dreading?) designing parts for a working model.

Ray Jobling
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: New from Washington

Post by RobW »

Washington CD then! Welcome. :D
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Welcome along Ray
It’s always good having another person with 3D printer experience on the site.
I’m currently on with printing a T35A 5 turret Russian tank, it’s on Thingiverse, might be worth having a look at it for pointers.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RayJ
Recruit

Post by RayJ »

Thanks for the welcome Wayne. I've seen that T-35, but haven't looked at it in detail yet. The trouble with thingiverse is that the vast majority of files are in stl format for printing. The designers really need to include the original design files - only then can useful modifications be made. Incidentally, the Saint Petersburg video of a running T-35 is a full sized replica rather than the real thing. It still looks good though!

For R/C models, I'm very interested in using or simulating the original steering mechanisms. Most real WWII tanks used either clutch and brake, geared or cletrac steering; however most models use a motor for each track like the Whippet of WWI. The Char B1 could steer like that too, but that's about it for production tanks. The types of real tanks of that period which can turn on the spot with one track in reverse and the other going forwards is surprisingly small.

To my eyes, a tank needs the correct steering characteristics to look right when it's moving. I'm pretty sure the parts can be produced, because I've made all the systems using Meccano, but not packaged into a scale model. That's where the hard design challenge comes in for me!

This kind of modelling with R/C tanks covers a very wide field of interests, and the cross-fertilisation of ideas is very healthy for the hobby. I wonder what your main interest is Wayne? By the way, do you know of anyone in the North East UK who is in the hobby?
RayJ
Recruit

Post by RayJ »

Hello RobW, you seem to know the area. Although Washington's now part of Tyne and Wear, it used to be in County Durham (hence Washington CD viz Washington DC) before the boundary change.

Do you still live around here? The local model shop at Chester-le-Street isn't aware of any R/C tank clubs in the area, although they do carry a decent selection of models. I've just noticed that there's a membership list on this site, but I'm guessing that most of the Washington members aren't even in this country! I'll have to have a proper look.

A few years ago, there was a model show at the Nissan car factory, with some R/C tanks, including 1/6 scale. Of course I didn't make any contact and now regret it!
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

I was brought up in Northumberland, so have driven by a fair few times; never really stopped though! There are a few people on here up your way, but don't know how many. Luckily for me Dave (forgebear) visits the GLAD meet regularly to take my money as the local shops here just seem to stock railway stuff or rc cars: saves on postage.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”