Hi From Australia!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
rogueone
Recruit

Hi From Australia!

Post by rogueone »

Hi folks,

Joined a couple of days ago and been reading the boards. Took delivery today of my first rc tank a Heng Long Tiger 1! I've come to this hobby through model trains and static models. Model trains just needed too much room and too much coin. I still have fond memories of a youngster building a motorised Tamiya Panther. It really was a good model and it moved! So it's only taken me 35 or so years to come back but I have some time and tanks have always interested me!

So. Hoping to increase my knowledge and skills and concentrate on the rc over static models. First impressions of the Heng long are good. It's surprised me a bit and I know it's not a scale model and more a toy but it's really not that bad. Nice to be surprised and looking forward to a bit of fun over the next couple of weeks! Already eyeing Tamiya models through local supply. They are horribly expensive over here for someone like me but I'd like to build another like all those years ago!

Look forward to the future and learning more.....

Paul.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Hi From Australia!

Post by jarndice »

Hi Paul, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
The Heng Long Tiger 1 is quite rightly the 1/16 RC Tank most of us start with,The first thing I suggest you do is see how far you can throw the Decals that it comes with, They are RUBBISH and bear no relationship to any Tiger 1 that ever saw service. :haha:
For the money you get a lot of Tank and with the fingers of a Highland Gorilla and the brain the size of a pea even I can work on the inside of one without tearing out the wiring by mistake :lolno:
While the Heng Long Tiger has too many detail faults its scale is not that far out which is why most Taigen and Tamiya body parts will fit.
As to the detail, The Cupola is always delivered facing the wrong way and it comes with two spare aerial holders when apart from the command Tiger it only had one, Both of these are easy fixes and the other big advantage of the Tiger 1 in 1/16 is that there are more upgrades for it than for any other 1/16 Tank.
Please ask lots of questions and enjoy this place.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

G'day Mr Rogue, Im on the 'Goldy' ex-NZ.................where in this burnt continent are you located ?
True the Tiger 1 is a great place to start, for some like me they seem to keep on keeping on - the Tiger 1 !!
Huge number of upgrades available here for them, better still the volume of research material to assist in a period-accurate subject tank.
Pictures when you can, its said they are worth a thousand poorly spelt, and incorrectly grammatically arranged words :haha:

Great to have you along mate :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
rogueone
Recruit

Post by rogueone »

.where in this burnt continent are you located ?

Thanks for the welcome peeps. Greatly appreciated. I'm from Caboolture 60kms up the road from Brissie. Trying to get through a lot of old posts with some limited time but starting to get a handle on things.....Had a couple of issues with the Tiger.....Lost the machine gun when driving :( . Those mudflaps are ok but one side is a little out of whack/ damaged....It just doesn't ride well so will have to fix that. Other than that it's all pretty good! It is a little fast but that is probably my driving skill which is my very first radio control model! I'll get better for sure!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Mudflaps /Rear Fenders are just a push fit into their holders so just a gentle GENTLE push will probably fix that,
The Rear Fender holders are removable,
If you open up the tank and look at the inside of the rear panel you will see the "Phillips" head screw that holds it in place so if it should ever break you can buy replacements from a Dealer as you can the rear fenders,
The Heng Long Gearboxes are built for cheapness not for scale speed it is not your driving,
Reasonably inexpensive "Decent" Gearboxes are available that will give a more scale speed and will have shafts running in bearings and gears made of Steel instead of the "Pot Metal" of your Tiger 1 unless you have the Nylon Gearboxes,
Those are not at all bad as long as you run them with the ABS Wheels and nylon tracks.
What is your next Tank going to be ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Welcome to the forum Paul :wave: the good thing about braking and losing bits is that you then get the chance to fix and upgrade them :D :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
rogueone
Recruit

Post by rogueone »

The Mudflaps /Rear Fenders are just a push fit into their holders so just a gentle GENTLE push will probably fix that,
Yeah. A bit of the moulding isn't quite what it should be and one flap won't fit in properly. I'll figure it out. Took for a decent drive today to give it a bit of run time so I'll get to the details soon. I started ordering some parts to upgrade some things just to dive in head first and learn some things!
What is your next Tank going to be ?
I'm thinking of just picking up a cheap heng long Sherman to have something I can fire at with a mate. Will just get me some experience but the holy grail will be a decent tamiya like I had years ago! Not sure as it's early days but something German from ww2. Meanwhile I'll have a bit of fun with the cheaper heng longs. Not a bad place to start and I can experiment a fair bit and get those skills up!
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Welcome aboard Paul, there are a few of us Aussies around here. Glad to meet another!

You've obviously realised that you can't stop at just one tank, so what's next your wishlist? Just remember:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”