Hi from Guernsey

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
hedgepig
Recruit

Hi from Guernsey

Post by hedgepig »

Hi,

Been lurking here for a couple of days before deciding to dip my toes in the water of the world of RC tanks. I had a couple of RC cars years back and dabbled with RC planes before realising that the altitude one flys them at make it too difficult to see with my vision(!) and the weather here is usually too windy to fly foamies!

Having been playing World of Tanks since SWMBO was expecting with our son and with him loving to watch tanks (including being glued to the rebuild videos of the Matilda by the Tank Museum) I figured that getting into tanks was a good plan! Well it was either that or "land rover" rock-crawlers...

Our first tank is an IR Stug III from dingding which is awaiting an IBU2 board, detailing and painting. I'll be starting off with the Spektrum DSM2 as I still have a Spektrum and JR transmitter somewhere. I am looking forward to this as it should be much easier to work in than 1/76 scale (we also have an unfinished model railway in the loft...)

I am also looking at getting a Mato sherman to put sand skirts on and make into an approximation of the Sherman II (won't be perfect) and paint in desert colours to go with a Panzer III. Trying to decide whether the obligatory tiger should be a Tamiya (at £ouch) or Taigen/Torro...

Looking forward to the potential release of the JS2 and Centurion!

Now why aren't there RTR matildas, valentines, cromwells and churchills? lol!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Hi from Guernsey

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of useful information here. Anything you can't find, just ask. most of the time you will get an answer.
Now why aren't there RTR matildas, valentines, cromwells and churchills?
You may well ask. It's a question that is repeated time and time again, sadly to date, no-one has an answer. There are kits for a couple of them at a price.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
hedgepig
Recruit

Post by hedgepig »

Thank you! I have been hoovering up as much info as I can from here so as to make informed decisions!

Ah yes, at a price. Whilst I appreciate the reason for the prices on limited runs I need to be able to justify the cost!
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Welcome.

Because I can/want it might work?
hedgepig
Recruit

Post by hedgepig »

Lol, when we're in the middle of rebuilding SWMBO's land rover it won't! Have to wait a year or two before I can get away with that!
RobW

Post by RobW »

She'll not notice, just ask them to put it in a blue box.....
hedgepig
Recruit

Post by hedgepig »

No blue box parts here (well not by choice anyway). Aiming to make sure it'll do another 40 or so years not two ;)

The good news is that SWMBO is happy with the Stug purchase, as is junior - he'll be less than impressed when it moves by itself though (he's still not ok with that for some reason but he is only 17 months old!).
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

..Another lamb to the RC tank slaughter :D :thumbup: Abandon hope all ye who enter here (especially on tracks..)...but a big Welcome anyway. :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
RobW

Post by RobW »

hedgepig wrote:No blue box parts here (well not by choice anyway). Aiming to make sure it'll do another 40 or so years not two ;)
I assume you're a member of the Series 2 Club? Good way of getting discounts if nothing else. My Carawagon is nearly ready to get the interior refitted & hopefully start on the 88" this year.
hedgepig
Recruit

Post by hedgepig »

Thanks 43rdRecceReg! Yeah, I have to sell some RC planes so junior can have his room back so I'm no stranger to costs mounting up with RC. I think I'm stopping collecting X-Wing and Armada now...!

RobW, sadly not, we have an early S3 not an S2 - would love an S2 but we have what we have! SWMBO would love a carrawagon (or any 109 for that matter) but we are restricted in terms of garage length & height...

Return to “Introduce Yourself”