Nice to meet everyone from Japan

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Nice to meet everyone from Japan

Post by kintaroukinji »

Nice to meet everyone. I am a new participant from Japan.
I am interested in 1 / 16th tank model, RC, mainly customize 1 / 16th RC tank. I will mention a few of the impressions I felt when working on the 1 / 16th tank model.
My impression about 1/16 and 1/35 scale of tank model (Plastic model).
Since tanks of 1/16 scale started from TOY base and 1/35 started from military miniature (MM) series, the former is inferior to the latter basically in detail and texture
From the scale point of view, 1/16 shoud be superior, but it is actually the opposite. Even TAMIYA is no exception. I think that there are many people who were disappointed when purchasing with tank model of 1/16 scale expecting more detail or texture than 1/35 scale model. Since 1/16 scale model often takes into consideration the motorization and RC conversion into the basic design, inevitably the details and texture are sacrificed.?Even TAMIYA's latest 1/16 tank series (ex. Japanese Type10, M1A2 Abrams, Panzer?, etc.) is clearly inferior to the latest 1/35 scale.For the honor of TAMIYA, there is no doubt that the overall shaping, function, reliability, strength as RC is excellent.
If you are looking for details and texture on 1/16 scale (better than 1/35 scale model), I think that 1/16 scale should be considered as the base of customization and detail up. So you can demonstrate your skill as a modeler and find fun in that work. On the contrary, I also try to customize it by referring to the same 1/35th newest model, photos of real tank and materials.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Nice to meet everyone from Japan

Post by Estnische »

Kon ichi wa Kinji san

It's good to have someone on this forum from Japan. There has been a lot of speculation here that radio controlled tanks are not popular in Japan. Hopefully you can inform us on how popular the hobby is in your homeland.
Last edited by Estnische on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Most very welcome along Mr Kinji.................

It is quite enlightening to hear from a member from Japan, and your perspective on the 1/16th scale offerings.
I agree that the 1/35th scale model range and quality is THE standard by which all others are judged, and you would think that things would transfer over.
But commercially ?.............Tamiya can make a bagillion $$ ongoing out of 1/35th ,and the 16th stuff will remain a sideline.
Thats commercial reality.

On another note...................do you follow the Sunwolves Rugby Union Team at all ?

You guys have the next World Cup offering of William Webb-Ellis's gift to mankind that I may indeed attend ;)

Great to have you along
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D Yes, Welcome! You're correct, of course, about the differences in detail quality between 1/35 and 1/16. I would be a happy man if Tamiya ever produced a Cromwell tank in 1/16 with the level of detail its 1/35 model has. Indeed, any British tank from Tamiya in 1/16 would be greedily snapped up here. :/ :D You're also right again, that modelling in 1/16 is all about finding, and including, all those missing details. :thumbup: :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Thank you for welcome reply.
Here in Japan, the 1 / 35th military scale model is very popular and there are many plastic model enthusiasts. There are also people who are called professionals. Several model journals have also been published. In these magazine articles, not only detail up but also weathering painting, and article of making niche military models are seen recently. As far as I know, model magazines have military vehicles, aircraft, ships, Gundam figures, RC car models, and RC airplanes as their main, respectively. However, in the military vehicle magazines, there are few articles about the 1 / 16th scale model. In those magazines, there is no article of 1 / 16th RC tank customizing or detailing up.
Still, with regard to tank models of 1 / 16th scale, in addition to the TAMIYA kit, finished products of HengLong, TORRO (TAIGEN) and their after parts can be relatively easily obtained. Because the price of Heng Long tank is cheap, I mainly customize these products.
Last edited by kintaroukinji on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

_00104.JPG
_00103.JPG
_00102.JPG
_00101.JPG
This is the TORRO King Tiger which I upgraded to the No. 121 tank of No. 505 heavy tank battalion first corps, and equipped with BEIER-Electric 's USM - HL - 2 sound board. This is a type of sound board that uses the default 2.4 GHz TORRO control unit. Since this does not directly control the drive motor, the burning resistance of the board due to tank overload etc. is excellent. This board also has two servo outputs, one of which was used for the movement of the front machine gun. Since the RRZ recoil system is very real, I used it without introducing servo recoil. I feel the sound of this sound board is real and good.
Because the gap between TORRO King Tiger's Saucop and the turret is extraordinarily wide, I modified the gap part and opening part of the main gun coax machine gun.
Since this tank of the 505 heavy tank battalion should have been manufactured before September 1944,
I changed the intake port cover of the engine room from a circular armored cover to a bolted type mesh cover.
Commander Cupola machine gun racks, bullet belt, and bullet bags were rebuilt with brass and paper. I made a bullet belt by cutting the brass wire to the same length, sharpening the tip, sticking it to the black stripe paper at equal intervals, and then laying a strip of paper on top of it.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You have some very accomplished details there Kin. :thumbup: Above all, I'd say that the ammunition belt is the standout piece of work, and cleverly improvised! Well done. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Thank you very much. This is my first remodel of my 1/16 scale RC tank. The ammo belt of 1/16 scale machine gun was hard to find suitable flexible one so I made it by myself.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”