New Member Saying Hello.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
gp100
Private

New Member Saying Hello.

Post by gp100 »

Hello everybody,

Thought I would take a moment and say hello to the people on the board. I'm a 50 year old male from Idaho.

Just recently got into the RC Tank hobby, because I had to give up flying RC Planes due to now only having one functioning arm and hand. I was diagnosed with Bone cancer a while back and can no longer use my right arm. So there went my enjoyment with RC Helicopters and planes.. However, not one to give up easily, I found that tanks require only one hand to drive. So, I bought my first tank. I own a Tiger 1 Mid Version all metal Taigen.

I wound up having to gut everything and upgrade it with new electronics. I chose the IBU2-Pro version and couldn't be happier with it..

A little background on me:

I used to be a Hollywood Stuntman and an actor.. I have been in many movies, both in major films and Television. I was best known for my work in Star Trek and Stargate SG-1.

I have been in Star Trek The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, And Enterprise. As well as several films.

I've played everything from a Klingon, to a Romulan, a Borg, and almost everything in between.

I played a Jaffa Warrior on the show Stargate SG-1, as well as did many stunts in the tv show over the course of 10 seasons.. I also did a few of the films afterwards..

I have done over 100 movies in my career.. And my first big film was "Dances With Wolves" with Kevin Costner.

I've also played a Predator in the film Alien vs. Predator.. So, I've done it all really..

As a side job, I have also worked in electronics since 1989.. And have worked on everything from the Commodore 64, to current technology..

I am now stuck in an electric wheelchair due to my illness.. I can no longer walk.. I got into RC tanks so I could still have some enjoyment in the RC hobby.. It's all I really have left to enjoy anymore..

My name is Mike.

Glad to be here. :wave:
Last edited by gp100 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..
jarndice
Colonel

Re: New Member Saying Hello.

Post by jarndice »

Mike Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :clap: :wave:
You will find plenty of familiar names here from "RCU" Some under different names but you will soon meet them when they stop by to say Hi.
Ian from
www.rctankelectronics.com
is here as "TANKBEAR"
Me I am Jarndice just as I am wherever I go on line.
I hope today is a good day for you.
We thrive on questions and I know you will have plenty so ask away and we will do our best to help.
Enjoy your new Forum we do.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum from Connecticut USA :wave:

You've quite an accomplished career with such great roles and I'm glad you've found something that you can enjoyImage( like all of us)

Please enjoy looking around and we're all willing to help if you have any questions just ask.

All the best

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike!
Welcome to the Forum. Pictures of your Tiger when you get the chance, We love to chat and kick the virtual road wheels around here. You have a great tank and it will serve you well, providing hours of fun and entertainment. You have a handle on the electronics it sounds like so once again, Welcome!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hi, Mike
Very sorry to learn about your misfortunes, but feel inspired by the fact that you have a positive outlook, and attitude, to coping with things :thumbup: You are very welcome, and let's hope that we provide a great distraction -and health boost for you, with our discussions and banter here. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hi Mike,
Welcome along & greetings from the UK
I can safely say that I will have seen all your performances on multiple occasions, don’t tell anyone but I’ve got a tattoo of Worf
The way I see it, you’ve got 3 choices with hop ups for your chair....
Captain Pike
Davros
Or just say sod it & fit a B.B. firing turret to blast anyone who pi$$es you off (gets my vote)
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

Thank you for the welcome guys.. I'm glad to be here.

I'm happy to see some Star Trek fans out here. It was truly an honor to work in the movies and Star Trek universe.

The work could be hard at times with all the makeup I had to wear, and the long hours.. But the fans are what makes it worth every minute! You guys rock! Star trek fans are about the most loyal and coolest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting at the Comic Cons.

For almost 25 years plus, I have worked in Trek.. And I thank all the fans, for making it a great experience.. The love, and dedication they have to the franchise has been second to none.. Thank you all for a great career, and very happy memories..

I will try to post a few pictures tomorrow of my tank. I just have to get my camera working, since my cell phone takes horrible pictures..

Until then, I'll leave you with a few pictures of me dressed up as a few different characters over the years. :)

Picture 1, on set of next generation.

Picture 2: Makeup trial to get the looks right for another show.

I'm second on the right. In the Borg Cube. Ready to attack Enterprise "D".

Getting a makeup fix on the set of Next generation.
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Cool pictures, thanks :thumbup:

You're most welcome, and now we have you, to the Borg you, "you have been assimilated"

And to the Klingon you, "Hab SoSlI’ Quch" (for you, not to be taken as the insult, star trek isn't real ;) )

Edit, so Mike, who were you in alien V's predator? Please don't say the woman climbing the ice face near the beginning ;)

Mick.
I never take offense to anything my friend.. But I must disagree with one thing.. Star Trek may not be real,.. Yet..

But it does become a lifestyle for the fans in many ways. :D

If you've ever been to a Comic Con, you'll know what I mean. :haha: I've seen people dress up as characters.. And some of those fan made costumes are pretty darn good actually.. :O

I was one of the Predators that gets killed by an alien in the temple. I'm beating the crap out of an Alien, and smashing him into the walls by swinging him around.. I have 4 cuts on my helmet.. I think I have him after I fire a net to capture him, but he escapes and goes through my helmet and I'm toast in that scene..
Last edited by gp100 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mike these are very cool. Thanks for sharing
Tanks alot.... :wave:
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

c.rainford73 wrote:Mike these are very cool. Thanks for sharingImage
Your welcome. I'm always happy to share. After all, it's the fans who made me who I am. Without the fans, I wouldn't have a job. :thumbup:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”