New to RC tanks

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Welshboy
Recruit

New to RC tanks

Post by Welshboy »

Hi
Totally new to RC tank building - looking for some advice.

I want to build a tank not buy one ready so I have something to do.
I was thinking 1/16th size?
I would like fully functioning with firing , smoke and all R/C motions.

Where should I look for a supplier?

thanks
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: New to RC tanks

Post by silversurfer1947 »

When you say "firing" do you mean plastic BBs or muzzle flash? By the way, welcome to the forum. Have a general read of the various forums here. It will give you a good picture of what other people have done. For a purpose designed complete kit to build yourself, Tamiya come out on top, but, sadly, so does the price. However, these have a muzzle flash and do not smoke. On the other hand, if you buy a RTR you can strip it right down and rebuild it to your own satisfaction. As I said, read the threads for a broad picture.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

As a newcomer here myself, I am pursuing a not dissimilar route; I wanted a mostly metal 1/16 scale tank, but something I could assemble & customise myself. I had initially thought I would buy a Tamiya kit but the more I delved into this forum the more I realised I wanted something else.

So far I have ordered a 'kit' of parts for a King Tiger (based upon Torro spares) from Dave at Forgebear (due for delivery tomorrow) , who I found to be the most helpful & obliging person in answering my questions & getting what I wanted.

I intend installing an Open Panzer board to handle the electronics (it has just arrived today), I have still to finalise my decision about radio but have already received some sound advice from members here.

Brian
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welshboy wrote:Hi
Totally new to RC tank building - looking for some advice.

I want to build a tank not buy one ready so I have something to do.
I was thinking 1/16th size?
I would like fully functioning with firing , smoke and all R/C motions.

Where should I look for a supplier?

thanks
Welcome. Welshboy.
I Guess the first step is to pick the model that appeals to you most. Many new recruits opt for the Tiger 1 as, on balance, it's probably the one that you would find in every member's collection here. Taking that as just one example, it is possible to buy an entire tank in Kit form. Taigen tanks can be had this way though Dominique at https://www.rctank.de/1/16-PANZER-KITS,
and sometimes Steve at: http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk has them.
Or, you can source the parts piecemeal, starting with a lower hull (alloy ones are best), upper hull and then on to more advances stage of installing internals.
Upper hulls can often be bought fairly cheaply, and will include the Turret electronics you will need, as well as the BB cannon you may want, or the IR recoil version. This kind of build is often just a case of marrying up a complete upper hull, to a complete lower hull (with included drive train), and then adding extras to decorate it.
Begin with the tank choice, though. There are probably more 3rd party upgrades for the Tiger 1 than any other model, but others are well represented too. :thumbup: and that's worth bearing in mind.
Our 'home-grown' purveyor of panzer bits is Dave ( a gent) ..at https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c1 ... ducts.html
Good luck :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Welshboy
Recruit

Post by Welshboy »

My second mail

First THANKS to those who answered and helped me following my intro.

A few more questions for advice
First a stupid one - I want to build from a kit as a hobby, but it looks to me you can get the same (ash) tank i.e. Tiger 1 1/16 scale fully ready to go much cheaper ?

Second - I read many people have kits and upgrade plastic to metal. I can see value in this around tracks, wheels etc but many also do upper body and turret - is this just to make the tank sturdier or is there something else?

Last one - I think I may go for a Tiger 1 kit by TAIGEN. It looks like the whole kit and R/C is about £338 from NITROTEK - is this a good choice and good value?

thank to all who respond and help me
steve
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

AVOID "NITROTEK" as though your wallet depended upon it,
Without a doubt nobody has a positive comment for them,
http://www.rctank.de
is an excellent dealer and Steve at
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk
would be another top dealer to check out.
They have a TORRO Tiger 1 Kit for sale at £320.
From a personal point of view I would keep a lot of distance from me to Tankzone because even though I have read a number of positive comments about him he still owes me £400.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

jarndice wrote:AVOID "NITROTEK" as though your wallet depended upon it,
Without a doubt nobody has a positive comment for them,
http://www.rctank.de
is an excellent dealer and Steve at
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk
would be another top dealer to check out.
They have a TORRO Tiger 1 Kit for sale at £320.
From a personal point of view I would keep a lot of distance from me to Tankzone because even though I have read a number of positive comments about him he still owes me £400.
Shaun.

Sorry Shaun.
I have bought 4 tanks from Nitrotek - all delivered next day, all in perfect working order with all parts and spares present and correct.
These were:
2 Taigen Tiger 1 (Early grey version and late camo version)
1 Taigen Koenigstiger II Porsche turret
1 Taigen Panther

All tanks are the mostly metal versions.

Paul
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Welcome along!

For that money I would just stump up a little extra and buy the tamiya tiger I. One of the best kits they make and a solid runner.

Adam

Return to “Introduce Yourself”