New member from New Mexico, USA

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
DLM05
Recruit

New member from New Mexico, USA

Post by DLM05 »

Hello, my name is Dan and I am from New Mexico, just now getting into the world of RC Tanks. Haven't bought one yet, so doing some research on which 1/16 tank I may buy first. I'm looking forward to many days of fun with this new project of mine.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: New member from New Mexico, USA

Post by jarndice »

Hi Dan Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :clap: :wave:
To make it easier making a choice you might like to think what kind of Tanker you wish to be?
Do you want to be a Driver or a Builder in other words do you want to build a kit such as any of Tamiya's Tanks or do you want a RTR (Ready to Run) Tank that Heng Long,Taigen, or Torro make,
The advantage of RTR is that they are cheaper although everyone who has a Tamiya would not exchange it for anything else and those who do not have a Tamiya lust for one or more. :lolno:
The recommended Taigen Dealer is "IMEX"in Florida with Erik the hero in that emporium of delight, :thumbup:
The most affordable Tamiya's are probably from the AAF Museum at Danville, :thumbup:
Both "IMEX" and the AAF Shop at Danville have a solid reputation.
I hope you enjoy the Forum and if you have questions please do ask we love showing off how clever we are. :haha:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
DLM05
Recruit

Post by DLM05 »

thanks for the info.

Dan
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
Welcome to the Forum... Tons of good advice from Jarndice. Pictures of your tank when you pick one. We love to chat and kick the virtual road wheels around here.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum from Connecticut USA :wave:

As your interest in the hobby is in its infancy, take your time, look around and ask questions.

Have funImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal

Post by Burger_Patrol1 »

Hi Dan...From SoCal.
Cool name :thumbup: My name is Dan too :wave:
Welcome, and be ready for your addiction...ha ha ha...Tons of fun!!!
I personally like building versus RTR stuff, I think building these tanks are half the fun, but thats just me.
If you need any help, feel free to ask on the site and anyone would be more than happy to help you...
HAPPY TANKING!!!! ;D
Tanks a lot,
Burger_Patrol1
Brea, CA. USA ;D
Tamy T1
Tamy Sand Scorcher
Tamy BlackFoot
Tamy Clodbuster
Static Dio's
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Welcome to the forum Dan.
To answer your conundrum.
All depends what type of tank looks appeasing to you, and whether you want to play with the tank, or whether you want an accurate representation of an historical beast sitting on a shelf, the latter will cost you time and money, and probably some health points. . . .
As for everyone who doesn't have a tamiya lusting after one, I shall answer that with the reply I gave a New Zealander lady on a train who happened to notice I was looking at RC tanks on the net and struck up a conversation, "no, I don't get excited to see my toy tanks, they don't look good dressed up in lace. . . ."
To me, the only "desirable" thing about tamiya, they are the only ones that produce the HVSS system.

Mick.

Oi Mr Gunner................how'd that Kiwi Sheila go with that romantic line ??!! :O ..............you marry her ?? :shifty:

Welcome along Mr DLM from the Gold Coast of Australia via New Zealand...............(yip, the place that sheila was from !!)

Sad to say I've only transited through NM on a series of U.S. domestic flights (that being Albuquerque three times) but never stopping on to look around.

As for what tank by what manufacturer ?................
Tank type, amount of post purchase finishing you want to do, upfront cost...............its that simple.
Less upfront cost.................more post purchase work
I would recommend a Tiger 1, PLENTY of magnificent parts to soup it up are available, an equal if not more source of reference material and advice.
In the end, the choice is yours, and as long as you post pictures of what you decide on, we are all right behind you :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
DLM05
Recruit

Post by DLM05 »

Looks like I'm going to buy a 1/16 Heng Long Sherman and Tiger 1 tank. Those look like good buys. Any thoughts?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I'd say they are both excellent examples of armour to start with. Both lend themselves to many upgrades and ease of repair
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

DLM05 wrote:Looks like I'm going to buy a 1/16 Heng Long Sherman and Tiger 1 tank. Those look like good buys. Any thoughts?
Like it's grown up version, the Sherman rolls over when traversing steep inclines, but the Tiger is a stable platform and has loads of upgrade potential. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”