How do!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

How do!

Post by midlife306 »

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while so I thought it was about time I introduced myself.
I'll apologise now for the long post!
I'm Wayne, I live in Colne east Lancashire, I need to keep myself busy, I gave up ploughing money into cars & decided I needed a hobby. I made up my mind to build a 1/12 scale Bluebird K7, what a learning experience that was, lots of mistakes but I got there in the end, I just can't bring myself to paint it, I don't know why.
I managed to lay my hands on some decent 1/8 scale plans for K7 & I thought it rude not to blow the plans up a bit, needless to say I'm underway with a 1/4 scale K7 now. I reached the point where I needed to make the pilot to scale things around him, I just couldn't find a source of reasonably priced 1/4 scale hands or heads that didn't look like characters from Thunderbirds!
I bit the bullet I bought a 3D printer so I could print the parts I needed.
I found a model on Thingiverse (other online 3D print sites available lol) of a LCM3, it was 1/16 scale & just under a metre long, I thought sod it, why not..
I know the LCM3 shouldn't be wide enough for a Tiger 1, but this one is..
I've started on printing a Tiger 1 & I've got well & truly hooked on Tanks, the knowledge of you guys is incredible & skill levels is top notch!!
I'm half way through printing a V1 flying bomb & I'm really tempted with a V2, I didn't realise just how big they were! I've ordered one of these cheap trucks, I wonder if I can modify it to be a transporter?
I'm just researching which tank to buy first, I feel like a kid in a sweet shop!
Roll on Norbreck!
Cheers
Wayne
Ohh, here's some picsImage
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: How do!

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome to the model addict's Therapy Group! Judging by your own mancave, it's clear that the illness is well established in your home :lolno: I'm really very impressed by your V1/Buzzbomb/Doodlebug :thumbup: You'll find there's a growing involvement in 3-D printing on this Forum, and so you'll feel right at home very quickly. A couple of questions: is Bluebird intended to be an RC model? If so, is it going to be capable of short take-off?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

The wife says I have OCD, she's never understood a mans inbuilt need to make "stuff"..
The 1/12 scale is fully RC, it's propeller driven though. The 1/4 scale one will be RC but I'm planning on it taking me about 5 years to complete, when I get my pension payout I'm buying a turbine for it, I won't want it to loop the loop though, I think a giro & control flaps should take care of that..
Thanks for the welcome
Cheers
Wayne

Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Hi Wayne,

If she gives you a hard time again, ask her why women love to get rolls of perfectly good fabric, cut it into tiny little pieces, sew it back together again incorrectly and make quilts?
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, my mrs doesn't do sewing, hoovering & shopping is her thing
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Wayne, Welcome to the Forum :clap: :thumbup: :wave:
How very handy living so near to the Lakes,
You can do the trial runs of "Bluebird" in an authentic scenario,
Hopefully with more positive results than the prototype, :thumbdown:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Cheers Shaun, I must admit, I do like it up in the Lakes..
My printer has been quite busy this week, here's the fully 3D printed V1 all glued together, a bit of sanding & filling & it will be ready for paint.
In the meantime I've just made a start on a V2..
Cheers
Wayne
ImageImage

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow Wayne she's a beauty! Really nice job
Tanks alot.... :wave:
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

CheersImage
Not my work really, I just pressed the start button, the use of superglue is all me though..
I set the bottom 150mm of the V2 printing at 8 this morning, I've just got home 13 hours later & it's only 52% into the print, I'm going to be popular with the Mrs tonightImage
Cheers
Wayne

midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

And at last here's the bottom 150mm of the tail section done, phew, took 20 hours total at 0.2mm layer height.
Cheers
Wayne

Return to “Introduce Yourself”