Hello from the UK

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Martin64
Recruit

Hello from the UK

Post by Martin64 »

Hi,
Just joined the forum. I have been interested for a while in getting a rc tank, so at the moment i am still looking at what is available.
Martin
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of useful information here. Help is always available. All you have to do is ask.

By the way, you may care to rephrase your original statement. There is no such thing as "getting A tank". You are about to take part in one of the most addictive hobby known to man. It is not possible to stop at one tank.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Welcome. Where are you?

Correction, you're looking for your first tank.... :D Lots to choose from, but look at the recommended vendors before you buy.
Martin64
Recruit

Post by Martin64 »

I live in Jarrow,South Tyneside, in the Northeast of England. What is everyones opinion of Heng Long? Thanks
Martin
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hallo Martin, Welcome to the Forum :clap: :thumbup: :wave:
You will have a lot of questions and we will try very hard to give you straight answers,
The new model Heng Long Tanks are very good value for money but do not be fobbed off with old stock. :lolno:
First The 1/16 R/C Tank world has crooks and neer do wells just like the rest of the known universe,
Do be careful, >:<
The recommended vendors site that Robw advised you to visit is a very good place to start your search. :thumbup:
There are many hidden costs in this hobby which will sneak up on you but having an understanding Bank Manager and a loving partner will take some of the sting out of it, It is addictive but at least you are no longer alone and it might leave you penniless but at least you will be free of needle marks :haha:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Martin64
Recruit

Post by Martin64 »

Yes,Ive been looking at the vendors and noticed that Nitrotek do not get any decent reviews. I was thinking of the Heng Long of Taigan. Although I have never owned an RC Tank, I would prefer a one with all metal gearbox, with the gearing also metal(I am a retired Mechanical Engineer) I cannot see plastic gearing being very durable, unless they were nylon type gears.
Martin
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Martin Give "Nitrotek" a very wide berth,
Heng Long and Taigen are different companies as is Torro and Tamiya,
Generally speaking Heng Long are at the cheap end of 1/16 R/C Armour But as I said earlier the latest versions are very much improved and I would not have any doubt in buying one for myself,
BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE LATEST VERSION. :think:
Although I would strip it down and rebuild it with more care than the factory does,
As to the gearboxes they actually are Nylon and if you stick to plastic tracks and wheels they will give very little trouble,
The problems arise when you upgrade the drivetrain , the law of diminishing returns then kicks in, Metal tracks mean Metal Wheels which means Metal Gearboxes,
Which all amounts to More Money. :lolno:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

welcome to the forum
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hello, Martin, and welcome to the Crusaders of Jarrow. Alan Price comes to mind, for some reason singing about the Marchers in 1936....
Anyway, given your previous career, I imagine you'll find yourself disassembling your first tank pretty quickly. Old habits die hard. :D That being the likely outcome, some models are easier to work on than others..and also have larger inventories of upgrade parts available.
Most people seem to start with the Tiger 1, but my advice would be to go with the one that appeals most. Taigen Pro or 'Metal' models (Torro range too) often have a quick release mechanism allow you instant access to the innards. For a potential tinkerer, that's an attractive option. :P Heng Long models have improved markedly in terms of quality, accessories and sounds of late, and provide excellent value- for- money entry level models....but have a good read before you take the plunge. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Martin64
Recruit

Post by Martin64 »

Read all the great advice,but I have yet to decide on which tank I will get. Thanks for the advice.
Martin

Return to “Introduce Yourself”