Hi from London

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Fourth Protocol
Recruit

Hi from London

Post by Fourth Protocol »

I'm new to model building. Sort of. Built a few static models as a kid, and in March last year I bought a Tamiya radio controlled Toyota Hilux, which got me hooked.

After that I wanted to actually make something, so scratch-built a 2004 Ford Bronco Concept body. Doors, hood and tailgate all open and close, and the roof comes off in two sections.

Then an Unimog 401.

Next I customised a Jeep JK body from Ebay into a River Raider ST replica.

Did two more Jeeps, and then got back to scratch building. Still working on a 1:10 Bedford RL, and a 1:10 Mercedes Benz LP 1480. Both are very early stages (about a month's work on each).

Both have been on hold because I built an Oshkosh HEMMT inspired by Mongo in Fast and Furious 5. Even though this one competed at the UK Scale RC Nationals at Bracken Rocks this weekend, it also still needs work.

So that's what I've done. I have three missions for 2017 - building an 8x8 truck, a landing craft, and the reason I just signed up here, a tank. Expect a lot of really stupid questions. I humbly and profusely apologise in advance.

Mike
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Hi from London

Post by jarndice »

Welcome to the Forum, :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
Your credentials seem to be more than acceptable,
Oh by the way I hope you won't forget to place the battery under the passengers seat on the "RL" because one of the fun things about the early "RLs" was the metal base of the seat would if you sat on it short out the battery terminals to the alarm/fun of all in the vicinity. :lolno:
I hope you enjoy this place we do.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh god, the RL.................keeping brakes up to these things was as bad as keeping your ass off the battery. :/
And fuel burn like they were sponsored by OPEC !!!!
Found out the hard way the trays on them are really an impractical height for loading firewood into in any sort of volume, by hand :problem:
But climb !!, like on fly-paper ;) plus a '73 Landcruiser SWB will fit in the back, just getting it in there was a mission in itself. :shifty:

Good to have you along Mr Protocol, I'm sure you will teach us all a thing or seven about rc'ing :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Greets from Norway. Eager to see what type of tnak you end up With :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
Fourth Protocol
Recruit

Post by Fourth Protocol »

jarndice wrote:Welcome to the Forum,
Your credentials seem to be more than acceptable,
Oh by the way I hope you won't forget to place the battery under the passengers seat on the "RL" because one of the fun things about the early "RLs" was the metal base of the seat would if you sat on it short out the battery terminals to the alarm/fun of all in the vicinity. :lolno:
I hope you enjoy this place we do.
Shaun.
Thank you! Never did get to drive an RL, let alone ride in one, but saw them all over the place when I was a kid.
HERMAN BIX wrote:Oh god, the RL.................keeping brakes up to these things was as bad as keeping your ass off the battery. :/
And fuel burn like they were sponsored by OPEC !!!!
Found out the hard way the trays on them are really an impractical height for loading firewood into in any sort of volume, by hand :problem:
But climb !!, like on fly-paper ;) plus a '73 Landcruiser SWB will fit in the back, just getting it in there was a mission in itself. :shifty:

Good to have you along Mr Protocol, I'm sure you will teach us all a thing or seven about rc'ing
Yeah I've been watching some YouTube clips, they do seem capable for what they are. Having grown up in Africa I used to see a lot of ex-Rhodesia RLs about. Not sure why I love that shape. And as you say they have their fair share of quirks. Why anyone would want to load a Landcruiser into one when there are so many Jeeps around... 8O ;)

Not sure I can teach anyone much about RC though, but happy to share what little I do know!
maxmekker wrote:Greets from Norway. Eager to see what type of tnak you end up With :thumbup:
Thanks! The idea is to build something that can be driven outdoors and take a reasonable abuse. Whilst I'd like to think of myself as open-minded it's probably going to be a Tamiya (because I know the brand).
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Hmmm, at times when we are out as a family I get driven around and cop a bit of abuse !!!! :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Introduce Yourself”