Hello. Another newbie!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.

Postby adm » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:33 pm

Hi All,

Well, I guess I should have posted here before asking my first question in the General forum, but I didn't and so I ask for the Mercy of the Elders.....

Anyway. I'm an old git (mid '50s), who hasn't been anywhere near modelling in over 40 years and know nothing about RC either.

I do have an engineering background and I used to love to build Airfix kits (mainly planes) as a kid. I do have a love of tanks though and have been visiting the Tank Museum at Bovington regularly for 40 years. Recently, I discovered one of my friends was building a 1/16 scale Torro Leopard 2 kit and that got me thinking "why not?" I've got more spare time than before due to the lockdown so could do with something to do other than sitting in front of the computer drinking wine.

So I ordered up a 1/16 Torro Tiger 1 from Tankzone, sorted out how to get my air tools compressor to power a modelling airgun, ordered one of those and some paints and other bits and am now sitting here waiting for the kit to arrive and obviously over thinking things.

Other than just wanting to build the thing and play with it, I have now discovered the wonderful world of weathering. So of course I want to try that too. I ordered a sacrificial Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger to have a play and practice with for this so as not to totally ruin the Torro kit immediately.

Now I have lots of stuff on the way and probably way more enthusiasm than skill or knowledge. So there will be a learning curve. I'll be asking questions....

Other stuff about me that you may not want to know.... I am long term married with three teen/twenties boys. All at home now due to the lockdown. Also three very large Scottish Deerhound dogs. And three motorcycles - 2 Harleys (one a modern, highly tuned "bobber" type and one 1980 chopper that is in progress of a total rebuild) and a BMW R1200GS. So you could probably say I like fast dogs and slow motorbikes. I really enjoy touring on my bikes to Europe and further afield - obviously not much of that recently.

I'm an excellent cook, but an awful dancer. Can't do Karaoke for love or money. Dislike football but used to enjoy freefall parachuting and paragliding. Stones rather than Beatles. Dark chocolate, not milk. Chillis rather than sugar. Legs rather than tits.

For the last 30 years, I have travelled the world as part of my job. Haven't been able to do that for the last year and I miss it. Still, more time at home, so let's build a tank or two!

That's about it for now. I look forward to learning from all the members here and maybe one day will have something to show off that I am proud of.

Cheers!

Al.

adm
Recruit

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:50 pm

Wow. That's what I call an introduction. A very warm welcome. As I said, there is a huge amount of knowledge here and, being a friendly bunch, we are only too happy to impart it. As you will no doubt discover, you can well get as many different opinions as answers. Old git? I think you need a few more years to compete with a number of us. We look forward to hearing about your exploits and efforts. Photos always welcome.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Postby Jimster » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 pm

Stones over the Beatles!?!? Oh the horror. :O
The Tiger 1 is my favorite tank and I look forward to your upcoming, detailed build thread with photos. Are you planning on modeling a fairly accurately detailed and painted Tiger for a specific tank battalion and time period or a freelanced model? Either way, you’ve come to the right place for inspiration and information. Welcome. By the way, I’m 57.
Jimster
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 pm

You are still both youngsters! I can remember back way before anyone had heard of the Stones or the Beatled
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Postby adm » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:54 pm

Jimster wrote:Stones over the Beatles!?!? Oh the horror. :O
The Tiger 1 is my favorite tank and I look forward to your upcoming, detailed build thread with photos. Are you planning on modeling a fairly accurately detailed and painted Tiger for a specific tank battalion and time period or a freelanced model? Either way, you’ve come to the right place for inspiration and information. Welcome. By the way, I’m 57.

:-) Honest answer to this is I really don't know. I am still at the "Yellow or Grey" stage! Currently pulling as many Tiger camo pictures off the 'web as possible to research. Wittman? Tiger 131? Eastern Front? Africa?

Many questions on that right now....

adm
Recruit

Postby jarndice » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:21 am

It's all very well saying Michael Wittman but until you know the name of his gunner you won't really have the bug :haha:

"Balthasar Woll", :thumbup:
You bought your Tiger from "TANKZONE" :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Check it over very closely when/if it arrives,
I know some people on the Forum rate him,
I have a very good financial reason not to.
I hope you enjoy this place and do read your way through the contents of the menu because many answers to your questions will be found there :thumbup:
jarndice
Major

Postby Jimster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:41 am

And a lucky fellow he was.
Jimster

Postby adm » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 am

jarndice wrote:It's all very well saying Michael Wittman but until you know the name of his gunner you won't really have the bug :haha:

"Balthasar Woll", :thumbup:
You bought your Tiger from "TANKZONE" :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Check it over very closely when/if it arrives,
I know some people on the Forum rate him,
I have a very good financial reason not to.
I hope you enjoy this place and do read your way through the contents of the menu because many answers to your questions will be found there :thumbup:

Thanks for the welcome. Now you've got me worrying about my order! Apparently it shipped to me yesterday DHL, so I am hoping to get it tomorrow. Not happy about the "if it arrives", but I did use PayPal so should be able to get the money back if it doesn't.

I ordered from Tankzone as my friend who is building a Leopard, bought from them and recommended them. I wanted a full kit with radio etc included and they seem to be a bit like hen's teeth to find right now but TZ had stock at a decent price. I presume lots of people have had the same idea during this latest lockdown. Oh well.....fingers crossed for now.

adm
Recruit

Postby Model Builder 4 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 am

Hello AI and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Model Builder 4

Postby jarndice » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am

It is absolutely NOT my wish or intention to alarm or worry you or anyone else about "Tankzone",
But I cannot in good conscience not advise others in our hobby about the shortcomings I have experienced,
I have been owed a Taigen/Torro Tiger 1/£400 for some years and still I wait,
Why do I not go to Law I am sometimes asked ?
Because having exhausted polite e-mails and letters I decided that warning everybody I meet about an event that occurred to me without frills or elaboration would be more likely to achieve a longer lasting result than a settlement in a small claims court that nobody would hear about.
I am in the fortunate position where losing £400 is not a disaster but some of us can ill afford such a loss and if I can save just one innocent from such a fate then it is a job well done.
http://www.forgebeartanks.com
http://www.rctank.de
are two quality dealers who will freely offer advice as well as product and if they don't stock it they will direct you to a dealer who does, :thumbup:
Avoid "Nitrotek" whose reputation is far worse than "Tankzone". :thumbdown:
jarndice
Major

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:17 pm

:D the online product profilers, will be having a field day with your preferences (well, the consumable ones, that is). :haha:
I'm with you on '..Legs.." by the way, :shh: :D
and whilst I have all the early Stones albums, they're not quite in the same league as the Beatles' more innovative offerings.
Good luck with Tankzone, but fingers crossed that you get the tank you need to begin this insane downward spiral (or is it upward :think: )..into addiction. :thumbup:
Also, if you're an 'old git'; but not quite a dinosaur, I'm definitely (like several others here) from the Pleistocene period. :haha: :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby EAO » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:08 am

Greetings Adm,

Now that was a right proper intro! :clap: I also feel "old", but at 53 I really can't claim that...as some other gent's on here have occasionally reminded me. :haha: :/ I too prefer the Stone's to the Beatles. Actually, I only liked John Lennon and George Harrison out of the 4 of them. Sorry Jim. As for breasts or legs, :think: depends on the girl I guess? As for motorcycles, my last one was a 2009 BMW GS1200 Adventure. Yup; not 1000RR fast, but I love the Boxer engine and it pulled like a locomotive. I do know of the "Royal Dog of Scotland", but have never seen one over here in the States. Occasionally, we have one of the Wolfhound breeds stay with us but that's it.

Anyway, welcome to "The Big Show" as I like to call it. Great bunch of guys, amazing talent, and they're fun too! :thumbup: Do post some pics of your tank as we like to look at pictures, or better yet a video!

Regards,
Eric.
Last edited by EAO on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
EAO
Corporal

Postby BarryC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:14 am

adm wrote:Hi All,
Well, I guess I should have posted here before asking my first question in the General forum, but I didn't and so I ask for the Mercy of the Elders.....
Cheers!

Al.

Go forth and sin no more, you are forgiven! ;)

Sounds like you are in the right place! :thumbup:

Barry
BarryC

Postby adm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:43 am

Good news. The kit arrived safely this morning. Seems to be complete, but I have not done a full contents check yet.

I'm already quite impressed with it. Especially the heft of the wheels and tracks!

adm
Recruit

Postby Model Builder 4 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 am

Glad to hear that it arrived safely :D now the fun can start :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Model Builder 4

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:13 pm

Heigh Ho, Adm! I will be interested to see the insides of the Tiger kit. Regardless of the reseller, I like the Torro tanks (and the nearly identical Taigen) as a great starting point for those of us without much skill and less courage (i.e. enough money for the tank, but not enough to risk rack and ruin). It would be great to see photos as you open 'er up and then work on 'er.

As to age and preferences for womanly attributes: I'll take a sweet hug and keep the talking frog.
Herr Dr. Professor
Private

Postby adm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:36 pm

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Heigh Ho, Adm! I will be interested to see the insides of the Tiger kit. Regardless of the reseller, I like the Torro tanks (and the nearly identical Taigen) as a great starting point for those of us without much skill and less courage (i.e. enough money for the tank, but not enough to risk rack and ruin). It would be great to see photos as you open 'er up and then work on 'er.

As to age and preferences for womanly attributes: I'll take a sweet hug and keep the talking frog.

I shall take pictures and post them. Will post a newbie build thread when I get going.

Inside the Torro box, all of the sub-boxes full of components are actually labelled "Taigen", so I guess there is practically zero difference between the two....

adm
Recruit

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Thank you, Adm! I look forward to your photos and posts.
Herr Dr. Professor
Private

Postby Estnische » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:10 pm

Welcome Al. I have a 2006 R1200S - there are a few BMW owners here. Think about getting a Triumph Speedmaster,but I can't help thinking a T120 might be a faster option at 20kg less.
Estnische
Sergeant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:12 am

Estnische wrote:Welcome Al. I have a 2006 R1200S - there are a few BMW owners here. Think about getting a Triumph Speedmaster,but I can't help thinking a T120 might be a faster option at 20kg less.

:D One ex-owner, here, Brett. For years I rode an old traffic Police R80RT. It was beefy, and not the fastest machine in the world (would have preferred The Norton Interpol 2)
but the full-fairing, pot, and crash bar saved my legs on more than one occasion. :D
Incidentally, The Highlands is a great, and very popular, place for riding. Indeed, motorcyclists come from all over Europe to have accidents here every Summer. :problem: (Temptation to go wild, I suppose) But it's the suicidal stags that put me off. 8O One hit my car once...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself