Hello from SW London

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Zonda
Recruit

Hello from SW London

Post by Zonda »

Hi All

A hello from a new member and I've just bought a HL Chally in Nato camouflage with metal wheels, tracks, etc. Not a steel gearbox version but it's a start and it looks and goes well.

I'm not new to the RC world as I'm learning to fly a plane and have a couple of RC trucks. But I made a classic newbie mistake and overfilled the smoker so will take that out and see if it drys out!

So I'm already looking at doing some minor and low cost upgrades. I have a 4 ohm 2.5" speaker from a BMW that I'll box and see if it fits, looking at 360 turret conversion, perhaps servos too and anything else that's not too complicated. No plans at the moment to upgrade the MFU or anything like that. Would just like to bring some smoothness to the turret rotation and elevation. If there any recommended upgrades then please let me know.

This one will be primarily for my son's use as I've trying to get him into RC for some time now. He seems to have taken to it so far. And I've already started looking at the for sale section for a daddy tank!

Cheers

Zee
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Hello from SW London

Post by Jimster »

Welcome from the USA! Sounds like you have a good plan. Heng Long makes great affordable tanks.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Zee.

Sadly, I believe you'll have problems trying to use servos with standard Heng Long electronics. Heng Long aren't compatible with known makes of transmitters etc, they have a code all of their own.

But, that being said, reasonably priced aftermarket control boards are readily available, and are virtually plug and play.

Enjoy the forum.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Welcome along!

I’m from Kent/East sussex so not far from you.

There’s a lot to choose from for a ‘daddy’ tank, I have a few I can show you or the guys here can give advice :)
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Hi Zed, welcome on board from an ex Londoner.

Don't waste too much time on the smoker. It's a classic mistake that we've probably all made before we realised they never seem to work as they should, are too noisy and will ruin the matt paint if they leak! A lot of us just take them out.

Now here's a tip worth noting. Its far cheaper to buy a new tank with the upgrades already fitted that retro fitting them. However, you do miss out on the fun of fitting/rebuilding the models.

If you really enjoy building them then Tamiya tanks are all kits (expensive at that) but Taigen and Torro do sell some of their range as kits. Taigen and Torro tanks are based on HengLong's range but have several levels of upgrades available, so more expensive but, as said above, cheaper in the long term. You'll bed to decide if you want your fleet to have BB guns or Infra Red battle systems too.

Finally, be warned. Empty your garage now. 10 to 20 tanks take up a fair bit of space!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Zonda
Recruit

Post by Zonda »

Thanks all for the warm welcome and the advice so far.

I did spend more than originally intended as I started reading about metal wheels, etc. So went up from the all plastic version as an introduction to the tank world. Plus I'd be worried with my boy dropping a fancy transmitter, or breaking an expensive model, etc. Unfortunately all this research has tickled my fancy!

It would be great to see some 'proper' rc tanks in the flesh. I do like the look of the Tiger!

I'm quite relaxed about the mods so will aim to do what's reasonable and will keep reading the posts on here to understand what's possible.

Cheers

Zee
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Schultzy
Private

Post by Schultzy »

Wardog wrote:Hi zonda,smokers are one of the first upgrades,Tarr smokers are a good upgrade.smoke and run a lot quieter.
Try forge bear tanks
Thanks for that Wardog, I’ll be looking in to that myself!
Schultzy
Private

Post by Schultzy »

Hi Zonda. Welcome to the forums!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, and be warned, Z, that the "...tickle..." you mention often morphs into an unstoppable manic scratch. :lolno: As Genrl.J., warns, a garage soon fill up, if you happen to have one. All the rooms in my place
are now populated by tanks, with the exception of the shower-room.. :problem: :haha: That's reserved for a future Schwimmwagen... :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”