Oz Abrams

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Oz Abrams
Recruit

Oz Abrams

Post by Oz Abrams »

Hi, although it’s customary to post here I’ve left it some time because I’m not so keen on sharing personal stuff in a public forum. So please forgive me for leaving it so long and for not posting a lot of info.

I’m scratch building a 1:10 scale M1A1 Abrams and you’ll find my progress reports over in the Larger Scale forum.

I’ve never scratch built anything - all my modelling experience has been in plastic kits and I’m a stickler for following instructions. Even when I cook I have to follow the recipe EXACTLY as it’s written. So my skills are limited and I’m having to learn as I go. I started with deciding on the tank type then drew up some blueprints using a Tamiya 1:35 scale kit as the template. Then I found some drawings on line and I soon realised the kit isn’t exactly to the correct scale in all aspects. So I’m using the kit as a guide now and referring to the scale drawings for accuracy. Of course, once I’ve cut the wood it never quite fits so I’m now just working it out one stage at a time.

I’ve also never had an RC model before so I’m having to learn about the electronics too. I’m trying to work out whether I stick with a bog standard ESC, go a fancy module or use an Arduino kit. I still don’t quite understand how it all links together but I’ve got a bit of time.

I’ve been killing some brain cells recently trying to do the maths about engine requirements (calculating the torque & RPM required to move about 30kg at 7.5km/h for example). Wish I’d paid more attention at school....

So I’m quite sure that I’m doing it the hard way and making some school-boy errors but hey, I don’t mind.

Anyway, that’s me (sort of). Thanks for reading and I’d appreciate any assistance & advice you can give me over on my Larger Scale topic.
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=24929

Hooroo!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”