New from Washington

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
RayJ
Recruit

New from Washington

Post by RayJ »

First I should point out that I live in Washington in the UK (Tyne and Wear), rather than that new town in the States. I'm 65 years old, and hoping to find other modellers in the area to meet up with.

I've always been fascinated with tanks, so now I'm looking to try radio control in 1/16 scale, with a view to bigger models in the future.

I have a Flashforge Dreamer 3D printer, which I normally use for 1/144 scale wargaming, but I'm looking forward to (or is that dreading?) designing parts for a working model.

Ray Jobling
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: New from Washington

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Great to have you along Mr J from the sunny Gold Coast of Australia ex New Zealand !

Us quaint Antipodeans understand there are quite a few similar sounding locations in various nations, unlike those 'dreadful Revolutionary Colonials' who are deaf to the good Queens English :haha: :haha: :haha:

Please feel encouraged to ask anything you are needing clarification with, if we dont know, we will make up an answer that sounds good !!
Pictures when you can...................what do you have in mind as a first tank ? (my bets a Tiger 1 lads :shh: )
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RayJ
Recruit

Post by RayJ »

I've enjoyed a lot of your postings and models as I've browsed the site before I joined. Those "Dreadful colonials" from the other Washington are still considered to be traitors by some around here - but that soon evaporates because of their friendliness. Washington Hall is only half a mile away (800m in new money), that's where George Washington's grandfather left home because he couldn't pay the rent!

As for my first tank, I bought a Tamiya Leopard 1 donkey's years ago, when the only other option was the new Sherman. At the time, I meant to convert it into a T-80 BV, but didn't get past reducing the number of roadwheels on the chassis. I really want to scratch-build something, but feel that I should finish the Leopard first and get some experience. It will probably end up as a BMP-3, but not amphibious in case your Tigers want to punch holes in it!

I see that you'll celebrate your 104th birthday next month Herman (really?), so I've got another 39 years to catch up. Hopefully there's plenty of time for modelling and friends ahead of us both.
RayJ
Recruit

Post by RayJ »

Herman, I'm just reading about your white Tiger and the problem of colour. I think you're probably both correct - it's grey and it's yellow! The early dunkelgelb colour as supplied was virtually Yellow Ochre, a very cheap pigment which you'll find in any art catalogue on the internet. However it wasn't intended to be used as a pure colour by itself; it was meant to be mixed with the existing Panzer grey to match a provided sample card, which is why it's called "Dunkelgelb Nach Muster" - litteraly to match the sample.

The mixture provides a slightly lighter grey, with a greenish cast. If you look at some of the East European publications of Kursk, it's often shewn on new Pz III and IV's. This is the actual intended colour, which doesn't look yellow at all, just a different grey. The green and brown colours, if used, don't provide much visual contrast; certainly much less than the later sandy finish. After a fairly short time, the yellow ochre was used without the bother of mixing it to match a sample,leaving the tanks in the familiar sandy colour we all know.

I think your original tank was probably repainted in the correct Dunkelgelb Nach Muster, matching the latest paint specifications as befitted a unit of its class, but any unit records would still shew it as yellow. The Nach Muster colour is easy to make, just put a bit of Panzer grey on the painting pallette, and some Yellow Ochre a couple of inches from it: gradually mix them together and you'll get the colour from the Kursk pictures I mentioned earlier. It should be realised that painters in the field mightn't be too careful to get an exact match - if they had even seen the sample card!

Now I'll get on with the rest of your Tiger's tale - and probably find you've come to the same conclusion anyway!

Ray Jobling

Return to “Introduce Yourself”