Hello from Texas

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Pyrophis
Recruit

Hello from Texas

Post by Pyrophis »

Hello, I'm just barely finding this forum. I've been interested in armored vehicles, more specifically around WWII era tanks. I'm barely getting back to painting my 1/72 Tiger and Brummbar that I've had assembled for a couple years now. I also have a 1/35 Walker Bulldog in the box, with a 1/72 KV-1 that my partner recently got me. As I've been looking into methods of assembly, painting, and weatherizing the model scale tanks, I stumbled upon drive-able scale tanks. Those are the reason I decided to join, and I've been researching as much as I can find with an interest to eventually build a KV-1 or 2 drive-able scale tank. I would probably start with power wheel style version tanks for my kids, but want to move up to something I can drive.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Hello from Texas

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome Pyro (but not ..maniac', I hope :D ). Do tell us more about yourself when you feel inclined. When you write that you want a KV 1or 2 'you can drive', I assume you mean with you onboard. :think: That's quite an ambitious leap from 1/72 scale. We have a thread here where a member built a ride in Tiger 1, and others have produced kiddie -friendly drivables. I'd look them up for you were it not so late (early hours in Scotland). Members have even built 1:4 scale tanks they can 'ride on' and control with a remote. However, if you're able to fulfil that aim, then this is the forum to record your progress on :thumbup: :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Pyrophis
Recruit

Post by Pyrophis »

Thanks 43rdRecceReg! When it comes to myself, I'm 28, have 3 kids, and no workshop or area to even keep tools at the moment. XD I have seen a few threads in the Large Scale Military area about ride in tanks, one being from user Firebird, with a Tiger for their grandchild, if I remember it correctly. I would like to build a 2/5 or 1/2 scale model version KV tank that I would pilot from within, which I do agree is quite the ambitious leap, but I plan to try building smaller versions for my kids, to get started. I know it's going to take years of planning and gathering resources to get something going. I've watched a few videos from youtubers who have built there own tanks, one such being Tankman 101 with a 2/5 Sherman and M60, and I'm using their videos as a place to start.
Pyrophis
Recruit

Post by Pyrophis »

From my post before, this is the youtube page for Tankman 101

https://www.youtube.com/user/Gizmo4t/featured
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Pyrophis wrote:From my post before, this is the youtube page for Tankman 101

https://www.youtube.com/user/Gizmo4t/featured
That's an interesting video, and not one I recall appearing here before. :) What distinguishes Tankman 101's M60 from other ride-in 'lookalikes', is that his doesn't sacrifice realism for practicality in the way some others do. His M60 actually looks and behaves like the tank it purports to be- and to an acceptable level. One or two projects I've seen resemble fairground roundabout rides. I expect the kids will get those; but you'll be aiming to get double takes riding round in a proper scale tank.
I'm sure many here will be happy to follow your progress, and chip ideas in. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

G'day Mr Pyro from the Gold Coast of Australia :wave:
Ive spent many a great time in the Lone Star State when I traveled a lot in the Drilling industry.
Could move to and live life large in Sugarland in about half a heartbeat if I got the nod from your very protective government :haha:
I went to a drillpipe factory there one visit and the joker who walked out to greet us looked like he fell of the front of a KFC bucket :wtf:
All white southern style suit & shoes, with the little black tie.........

Still, I was in a rented Shelby Mustang GT convertible & didnt really care if Hannibal Lecter was waiting there to meet me ;)
We took a drive to Texas Motor Speedway on another day & THAT mate is an epic and outstanding facility :clap:

We spent $120,000USD on 2 Pz7 Mud Pumps from a guy that proudly stated

" I'm from Texas, and I do not care what you think- we got a deal ?"

He had me at "Im from Texas"

Great to have you along, pictures when you can :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Hello from Texas

Post by Markocaster »

Welcomed aboard I am from all over , but did go to middle and High school in Houston!
This forum is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther

Return to “Introduce Yourself”