1/12 abrams to challenger 2 convesion

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
n33h
Recruit

1/12 abrams to challenger 2 convesion

Post by n33h »

hello all

im new to the forum but not tanks, i converted a 1/24 T-90 tank hull into a amphi-tank which was loosely base on the old stalwart

my question is -

how hard would it be to convert the upper part and turret of my 1/12 abrams into a challenger 2 but keeping the hull as it is minus 1 road wheel on each side to match the C 2 hull ?

regards

nick
simonm
Lance Corporal

Re: 1/12 abrams to challenger 2 convesion

Post by simonm »

You would have to scratch build both upper gull and turret as they are both totally different shapes to the m1, i looked at doing this in 1/16th but after scratching my head alot decided it wasnt going to be easy to convert the m1 parts, i drove both chally 1 and chally 2 and would love one in rc without the mark1 price tag! If you go ahead it will be interesting to see how it goes:)
n33h
Recruit

Post by n33h »

thanks simon

sounds like a challenge to me now, i will need to get a whole bunch of photos so i can give it a try, tankzone.co.uk do the C2 in 1/6 scale and all metal but £3000 isa bit to much for me

i was going to try and modify what i already have and take it from there, i have noticed the C2 turret is further forward but the overall deck is similar

nick
simonm
Lance Corporal

Post by simonm »

If you get concord publications book on challenger 1 & 2 it has a full set of drawings in 1/35 that are superb to see the challenge you have, the deck layout is alot different due to the fact chally had a multi fuel diesel powerpack but you could use it as a basis as i did but by the time i had chopped the parts away that were different there wasnt a lot left! The rear of the hull is different but it probably the easiest part to do, the front of the hull is also different but again not to much of a challenge it will be the turret that will be the headache, i scaled the drawings to 1/16th but that was as far as i got
n33h
Recruit

Post by n33h »

ok, i'll rethink what i'm going to do, i may make the tank better or go with my original idea of an amphi-tank

nick

Return to “Modern Tanks”