Has anyone tried those 2-speed gears from AFV

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
JBdk
Private

Has anyone tried those 2-speed gears from AFV

Post by JBdk »

Hi... :wave:

I am stating a build of a Tamiya Leopard 1 the stand model 36207.
My plan is to fit it with those http://www.afv-model.com/4711shop/produ ... epard.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but before I spent 225,90 eur I would hear if any of you guys have tried them or knows anything about them....like how fast they go, are they woth the money or should I get some others...

TIA Jens. :thumbup:
Pcomm1
Corporal

Re: Has anyone tried those 2-speed gears from AFV

Post by Pcomm1 »

Hi, For this new kit Tamiya recommends using the Panther G or Jagdpanther gearboxes, they drop right in with no modification. See my parts list under my Leopard 1 A4 build tread.

I used a Futaba servo, rc taped to the turret roof for gun elevation and if you use a 6 or 7 channel rc radio you can program that function. For a 4 channel radio see my posted parts list, you will need to stop the servo inplace.

The kit you have will include most of what you need for turret rotation, but you will neeed to buy a turret rotation motor unit (see #6 and #12) and turret rollers & shafts and again see my parts list posted at "1" below.

1. Visit my Leo 1 photo build here: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =21&t=6916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. This is were I get most of my Tamiya RC DMD parts from jr-rc on Ebay:

http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Radio-Control ... 86.c0.m282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Postscript: Teamed with Daryl Turner, I am starting to build another Leo 1 A4, this one more complex. It will feature gun recoil using a Pershing recoil unit, return spring loaded idlers, hopefully bearings in the road wheels and a flash in the barrel plus hull bracing. I should have build photos in July or August. Stay tuned.
Attachments
leo recoil.jpg
leo barrel img_3333.jpg
BigPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by BigPanzer »

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in replying, I've only just seen this post.

I have the 2 speed AFV gearbox in a Gepard and quite honestly I'm not over impressed with it. I had to replace the servo arm with a metal one because it flexes too much and the additional gears are not of a particularly wear resistant material. This means that if you try to change gear with the tank moving the gears wear conical. If you do it with the tank stationary then they probably will refuse to go into mesh until you start moving, straining the servo and its arm.

The gearbox outer frame & servo mount are plastic, which means that any oil or grease that get on to them will eventually degrade the plastic. This happened to me and I had to reproduce the original shape of the degraded crumbs in alloy.

A great idea, but the unit is not cheap and requires further development to make it bullet proof. One day I'll get round to replacing the gears and making a couple of pin clutches for it.

Peter
JBdk
Private

Post by JBdk »

Hi Peter...

Thanks for your reply, I have allready bought the gearboxes from AFV and yes they do "lock" up when trying to shift gears when stationary...

Please let me know if you figure out a solution to make them better...

Cheers Jens.

Return to “Modern Tanks”