1/16 Centurion Tank

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

1/16 Centurion Tank

Post by dylan9391 »

I've just started construction of my first 1/16 tank the Centurion. The model is a wooden model but I am planning on making resin castings for the turret and boxes on the hull side using plasticard and other materials as appropriate. Might be useful if somebody esle wants the parts to make a similar model. I am tempted to use this to make a fibreglass hull if others would be interested in having a similar model.

If anybody can help with a suggestion for the running gear that would be useful.
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

Re: 1/16 Centurion Tank

Post by Andy in Cheltenham »

Hi
I've always had a soft spot for the Centurion. What era are you planning on and what MK?
I suppose a MK5 would cover a lot of bases.

Nice work
Andy
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the vote of confidence and yes I was thinking of Mk5 as that's the drawing that I have been working from. Hope to do a bit more on it tomorrow.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Work has progressed a bit but I am trying to get my head around the drawing for the turret. Maybe the FV4006 Centurion AVRE Mark 2 might be an easier option as the turret is more slab sided than the standard turret.

Any help would be appreciated.
sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by sparks »

Hi,
Nice work, is this scratch built or is it from a kit?
Will it be RC ?
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

It's a scratchbuilt model from drawings that I have scaled up. It's a wooden model but I plan to add detailing in plasticard or metal as appropriate and probably seal the plywood/balsa in resin to add strength. The plan is to make it a radio control model using the Hang Leng gearing and tracks that I have used on another r/c conversion. I just need to to get my head around the turret drawing now.
sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by sparks »

Thanks for the info, I'm sure you will get it sorted, keep up the progress reports. :thumbup:
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
Yellowshaker
Corporal

Post by Yellowshaker »

Nice work!!! I am curious about your intentions. Are you going to offer a kit for sale? I know myself and some others who might be interested in this.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

My original intention was to make it as a tank for me as my first R/C tank in 1/16 scale as I like the tank and hadn't made one before. I often make resin cast boxes for the tanks I make as it's always handy to have parts just in-case somebody wants a box, or if I break a casting through clumsiness. It would certainly be possible to make it into a set of parts less running gear, with resin cast hull boxes, hatches and things like that using laser cut plywood for the hull and then poly cast resin for the turret. I would need to investigate what is possible with a guy I use when I want a laser cut wood part when I build ships and aeroplanes and things like that if it's possible to make a hull. It shouldn't be too difficult as there is probably no more than eight parts in total to the hull and then the resin springs and axlebox details with running gear from another suitable r/c tank from Heng Long, or similar.

Worth thinking about and I'll let you know what's possible.
subdvr
Private

Post by subdvr »

Looks like a good build!
I have no doubt youve got a ton of reference material, but I came across the link below, every page has something different, not just centurions, other armour and vehicles mostly centurions though from the Aussie army, but good stuff none the less. Worth scrolling through every page.

http://centurion-mbt-two.synthasite.com/page-9.php
HL Tiger 1, Hooben T55a

Return to “Modern Tanks”