Scale speed.

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

Scale speed.

Post by Andy in Cheltenham »

Hi

I've been watching Youtube and noticed that the Leopard 1 is quite a speedy thing. there is a great clip of a Canadian one leaping off a ramp and firing while in mid air. Trouble is I cant work out if I should get mine to go a bit faster. Actual speed of the real beasty is 40.6 MPH, scale that down to 1/16 and that equates to a pawltry 2.5 MPH. I'm thinking perhaps a bit of poetic justice to get it a bit faster, perhaps 4 MPH would be nice. :crazy:

What would be acceptable for you lot? do you stick to correct scale speeds?

Thanks!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Scale speed.

Post by Saxondog »

I thought about this when Andy01732, built the M18 which is a very fast tank, might still be the fastest tank still. But the gear box certainly restricted the speed of that tank as far as scale speed. But faster is better I think for a modern tank. In a group of 1/16 scale tanks you should be noticeably faster. Well there is my two-cents

Saxondog .
Yellowshaker
Corporal

Re: Scale speed.

Post by Yellowshaker »

So what would you guy do to enhance the speed? I have just completed my Leopard A4 and used the upgraded Gearbox set from AFV models shop. Very nice units and direct bolt in. I am also running ETO's 480 LC motors. Well, I was not thrilled with the top speed, though the torque would pull a house down. So, I installed a set of 14 tooth pinions to help it out. I am now happy. I am wondering about testing motors for rmp though.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Return to “Modern Tanks”