Modern British MBT's

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
siamesecat
Recruit

Modern British MBT's

Post by siamesecat »

Well im into british MBT's, been brought up on them, until the Vickers tank factory shut down here in Leeds, as my dad worked there all his life.So if there are question you would like to ask, specially Challenger 1 and 2, CRARRV drop me a line.
I also have a 1/6th Challenger 2 tank, that painted up in the colours of the 1st Royal Tank Regiment, A Sqdn.

Cheers

Gary
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Modern British MBT's

Post by BREL »

Hi Gary have you got any pictures of your Chally 2
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

Post by Andy in Cheltenham »

I have a few question. Why did the Callenger 2 get its name, it is only slightly similar to the original?
It would have been better off with a new identity, the first Challenger was a stop gap and that came from a cut price export model.

My friends father worked on the design committe for UK tanks and he told me a story about British tank methodology. Our way of designing tanks was meant for a war against the Russians. Each tank was meant to be driven to a pre planned point and the hull would be buried, then it would just sit and wait for the nasty Ruskies. There is a design fault with our current tanks and that is the fact that when the tank goes dorment and sits waiting the gun drops the soldiers get sort of comfortable inside for days on end and when the sensors pick up a bad tank the Challeneger springs to life back to life and the gun levels thus braking the Loaders legs if he was sitting in the wrong place. :(
Gavin
Recruit

Post by Gavin »

Andy in Cheltenham wrote:I have a few question. Why did the Callenger 2 get its name, it is only slightly similar to the original?
It would have been better off with a new identity, the first Challenger was a stop gap and that came from a cut price export model.

My friends father worked on the design committe for UK tanks and he told me a story about British tank methodology. Our way of designing tanks was meant for a war against the Russians. Each tank was meant to be driven to a pre planned point and the hull would be buried, then it would just sit and wait for the nasty Ruskies. There is a design fault with our current tanks and that is the fact that when the tank goes dorment and sits waiting the gun drops the soldiers get sort of comfortable inside for days on end and when the sensors pick up a bad tank the Challeneger springs to life back to life and the gun levels thus braking the Loaders legs if he was sitting in the wrong place. :(
The Challenger 2 was never built to be burried up to the turret, it was designed to advance to contact, i dont want to talk tacktics as im sure there is many ex tankie that will fault me im not a commander lol but you will use the ground to go into hull down positions. The Design fault you mention is actually called gun creep, basicly if you sit there in the gunners seat without moving your thumb on the touch sensor the gun creeps right and down aslong as the grip switch is depressed, bad if you fall asleep while gunning you end up having a barrel strike on rough ground, whoops! Ive done it once, blamed the driver for not picking his ground ;) but the Gun kit does not have any sleep provision you can switch off or to safe and the hole turret is disabled, thats about it.
Saying all that the chieftain may have been used for blocking positions and to slow the onslaught of ruskie armor pouring into west germany thats what your pals dad may have been on about. My old commander was on chieftain, and he would go on about the cold war and how we the brits was there to slow the russians down so the Americans have more time to try to help lol. Think thats why the cheiftain was given a 1.1 fiesta popular plus engine haha;).
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

I'm in no way doubting what your saying. You obviously have experience. My friends father, the last time I saw him was on my frieand's sons christaining and the following week (this was about 4 years ago) was due too be on a committe about the Challenger breach breaking the legs of the crews. I was just listening to what he was saying. It all sounded feasible to me at the time..............strange?
Gavin
Recruit

Post by Gavin »

I think like many tanks there is a danger breach crushing dangers, the gun stablisation makes the danger more real as the tanks going cross country and the breach is staying level ive know of loaders crushing there knees due to cheating on Tez ex, this is what the CR2" uses on exersicise and its a lil bit like the tamiya battle system, and basicly there make the guard and wedge sumit in the breach safety sensor so the loader does not need to make the guard simulating him loading, and it gives the main gun semi auto firing on the main gun! well (its not real ammo) just a ir beam, but then the loader is left to just to stand in the loaders position leaning on the pathetic pad they call a seat and thats when they are in danger of getting there legs caught in the traverse. Ive loaded on ranges and fireing on the move and aslong as your not monging it your safe. youl see if you get a nose around the inside of one.

Im suprised its took so long for them to have a meeting about the dangers of the breach! i mean the CR2 1st come out in my reg 1999!
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

I understand to a certain extent about the lack of space in a turret. I went in the Chieftain the last time I was at Bovington. OK I'm 6 foot and 3 inches tall (quite skinny though) and I was alarmed at how little comfort could be found for a hard working loader.
Gavin
Recruit

Post by Gavin »

Ive never been in a chieftain, didnt fancy climbing up the show peice outside Bovy, The CR2 isnt that bad im only just short of 6ft, but i know my mate his 6.4 and when he stands on the loaders foot plate he can peep out the loaders hatch, it must of been a pain when he was a loader! anyway have you heard any more about these T55 hooben jobbies? now thats a cramped tank!
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

I did fire an email off to Hooben (posted that info on another forum topic in this section) They sent back a list of prices (bloody cheap too) and asked for my order.
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

I went in the MK13 (I think) inside the museum.

Return to “Modern Tanks”