1/16 Australian Abrams

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
oztruck
Corporal

1/16 Australian Abrams

Post by oztruck »

While waiting for parts for the Centurion I found a 1/16 Abrams with suspension at my local hobby shop that I just had to take home. ::)

Started to change it into an Australian Abrams, you know how it goes, add bits take off other bits, change its color and add a few markings. ;)
While the paint was drying took out the "Hobby Engine" electronics and installed a HL RX18. Drives much better now. :D
The plan is to make it IR battle ready and to replace drive gearboxes with HL units and modified Pershing tracks that I just happen to have sitting around doing nothing.
8) Here is a snap or two of the work so far.

Last edited by oztruck on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HL Pershing, HL Bull Dog,HL powered T34/85 IR, HL Tiger 1, HL Pz III, Stug III IR, PzIV, King Tiger, WSN Tiger1 mid IR, T34/85 winter IR, HL Jagpanther IR
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 Australian Abrams

Post by BREL »

Nice work
vonrundstedt
Staff Sergeant

Post by vonrundstedt »

Funily enough, ive just got my hands on the nato coulored one, no suspension though :'( got it for £10! but like most, it will proberbly be a us desert one. I like the look of yours, keep the pictures coming.
"He knows every thing about nothing, and not so much about that, if you know somebody who knows what he knows, then you must know....someone quite thick!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

That's a good looking tank,I posted a thread about these tanks and the responce was that they were poor designs,and bad electronics.Well I sure like yours,could you post some more pictures?Possibly of the inside layout?Does it have recoil?Sorry for all the questions but I really want a Abrams.Sax
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi oztruck You have an rx18 installed,if you fit the dbc it will sound like and Abrams ,you get feedback to the speaker ,a high piched whine bit like a turbine engine.But it only happens when you drive.
It looks a nice tank plenty of detail,might be worth fitting el-mod.

regards pete
oztruck
Corporal

Post by oztruck »

Yep they do have recoil. I removed the linkage that moves the commanders MG and replaced the electronics with a RX18 + HLBS. it is the largest tank in my fleet and the fastest. Even as is it drives well and rides like it should. I will try for a video as soon as I can
HL Pershing, HL Bull Dog,HL powered T34/85 IR, HL Tiger 1, HL Pz III, Stug III IR, PzIV, King Tiger, WSN Tiger1 mid IR, T34/85 winter IR, HL Jagpanther IR
oztruck
Corporal

Post by oztruck »

I did a video of the Abrams today.
Still has the rubber band tracks and stock gearboxes.
Did the video to show what they run like with just the RX18 upgrade.
  8)

M1A1 mpeg
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I'm still a little confused on the recoil issue,what I meant to ask was does it fire a projectile and have barrel recoil? Also what type of projectile because the description is a odd. Also does anyone know where this tank may be purchased in the U.S. Sax
Last edited by Saxondog on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Matdragon »

runs very nice, untill the gearboxes or tracks fail i wouldnt bother replacing them :D
oztruck
Corporal

Post by oztruck »

Saxondog wrote: I'm still a little confused on the recoil issue,what I meant to ask was does it fire a projectile and have barrel recoil? Also what type of projectile because the description is a odd. Also does anyone know where this tank may be purchased in the U.S. Sax
Hi Sax the recoil is simular to the HL recoil, but there is no option to fire any projectile from the barrel. The Brand name is "Hobby Engine" Do a 'Google' on it, there might be someone in the good old USA that has some.

Return to “Modern Tanks”