Initial thoughts/observations of new HL M1A2 RC tanker...

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
D_Idaho
Recruit

Initial thoughts/observations of new HL M1A2 RC tanker...

Post by D_Idaho »

First off its a blast. For all of the minor inaccurate details its still a fairly accurate representation overall. It is also accurate in its need for maintenance. In my intro post I lamented the task of changing/repairing track and I've already broken a track pin and had to repair and adjust track tension. :D It's quite accurate in the need to drive it like you would a real tank when operating in terrain. All of the same stressors apply at this scale as they do in the real world. Thankfully there are settings to mitigate "over driving" the tank. I actually kind of enjoy that aspect of the tank. It makes it more realistic.

Speaking of realism... The sound. Not the soundboard, but the sound of the metal tracks hitting the ground and reverberating off of the hull as they slap the side of the tank. My last encounter with an M1A2 was two years ago or so out at the NTC when one came barreling down the track at full bore and I tell you its quite similar to what the RC tank sounds like when running hard. Glorious.

If I had to pick one thing to nit pick about with the tank it is the prolific use of self tapping Phillips head screws. Yeah for the price I shouldn't complain, but I'll definitely be looking into replacing what I can with a better alternative, especially on the running gear. Next major mod for me will be the magnet mod, because screws...

Thoroughly enjoying this new hobby. Even the track maintenance.

Have a good one!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Initial thoughts/observations of new HL M1A2 RC tanker..

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Welcome to Tanks in scale. We bust our fundaments to get realism into them from Depot 'Fresh' to rolling Battlefield 'Wreck' for just the things that you have noted. Here's to a long and fun filled Enjoyment of the Hobby!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Yes, magnets...I put them everywhere possible on things that need to be opened for maintenance (turrets, hulls, hatches...etc).
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
OldWolf
Recruit

Post by OldWolf »

I use magnets for opening and closing the turret and for hatches I have cut out with a razor saw so as to access and fill the after market smoker in my challenger 2. However, I have retained the screws holding the hull together. My feeling is that such a large hull needs stronger fastening to deal with forces that may twist and flex it. I wonder if your M1A2, being of similar size, might need more holding the hull together, too.
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

OldWolf wrote:I use magnets for opening and closing the turret and for hatches I have cut out with a razor saw so as to access and fill the after market smoker in my challenger 2. However, I have retained the screws holding the hull together. My feeling is that such a large hull needs stronger fastening to deal with forces that may twist and flex it. I wonder if your M1A2, being of similar size, might need more holding the hull together, too.
That, or brace the chassis using a suitable brace.

Or get one of the metal hulls out there.
D_Idaho
Recruit

Post by D_Idaho »

I am considering going the hull bracing route. The metal hulls are pretty cool, but man are they pricey. I like to run it in the dirt and I know that its going to take a toll on the tank. I live on a 1 acre wooded lot so I may just clear a dedicated "play ground" where I can ensure that the terrain is a bit more forgiving, but still fun. As always I appreciate any and all input and feedback.
OldWolf
Recruit

Post by OldWolf »

Ah yes, I have a wooded lot as well. Dry, fallen oak leaves and pine needles are amazingly slippery. Fallen twigs and branches scale as logs. I have some paths that wind through the property but I think I shall go over them with a lower mower setting than I have used in the past.
D_Idaho
Recruit

Post by D_Idaho »

OldWolf wrote:Ah yes, I have a wooded lot as well. Dry, fallen oak leaves and pine needles are amazingly slippery. Fallen twigs and branches scale as logs. I have some paths that wind through the property but I think I shall go over them with a lower mower setting than I have used in the past.
I have oak trees on top of oak trees... I know the fallen leaf dilemma quite well. I have a couple of areas in mind that I usually put mulch down on that I might forgo covering this year. Nothing that a garden rake, shovel, leaf blower, and a stout back can't handle. I might even dig a tiered fighting position just for the heck of it. Enemy squirrels abound...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I have a couple of areas in mind...usually put mulch down...might forgo covering this year. Nothing that...a stout back can't handle." For 20 years I put wood chips all around my steep hillside house, 20 feet out to the tree line, pitch fork, rake, sweat, pain.

Then, well, see the part about the stout back and slippery leaves.

So in the rich detritus, the winds provided an ugly, dog-decorating mess of "exotic" cockleburrs and stick-tights. Three years ago I started spending budget-busting bucks for woodland edge restoration landscaping. Now I have a mess of expensive indigenous weeds that the dog finds tasty. I get no respect.

"Enemy squirrels abound..." And biodegradable airsoft BBs are a lot easier on them than the hawks.
D_Idaho
Recruit

Post by D_Idaho »

Ha! We're in similar climates. I'm in SW Michigan. Its definitely a chore fighting back the encroachment of the weeds. As far as those pesky squirrels... I'm not bog into the airsoft aspect of the tank so the dogs will just have to pick up the slack.

Return to “Modern Tanks”