Initial thoughts/observations of new HL M1A2 RC tanker...

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
D_Idaho
Recruit

Re: Initial thoughts/observations of new HL M1A2 RC tanker..

Post by D_Idaho »

Took a swag at a bit of reinforcing the hull. Used rectangular tubing with epoxy. Seems to really stiffen the hull up.
Attachments
Hull support
Hull support
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Some of us (especially those that cut the battery boxes out) like to fill the bottom with a little layer of resin. It adds some stiffness, smooths out the bottom, and adds a little weight down low. Just make sure that if you do a resin pour in the lower hull that EVERY LITTLE hole is filled or you will have resin finding it's way out. It will find a way out. I seal any holes with some clear hot glue. Once the resin is poured over it you can't even see it.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
D_Idaho
Recruit

Post by D_Idaho »

I saw that during my perusing of the boards. Can you recommend a resin that is predominantly used?
tankme

Post by tankme »

I've used this brand before, but just make sure it's fully mixed. I typically mix up about 4oz and see how far that goes. If you need or want more you can always mix more, but you can't un-mix it if you have too much. :) I like the kinds were the ratio is 1:1 by volume as it's easier. 1:1 buy weight can leave you with more of one than the other.

Derek
D_Idaho
Recruit

Post by D_Idaho »

tankme wrote:I've used this brand before, but just make sure it's fully mixed. I typically mix up about 4oz and see how far that goes. If you need or want more you can always mix more, but you can't un-mix it if you have too much. :) I like the kinds were the ratio is 1:1 by volume as it's easier. 1:1 buy weight can leave you with more of one than the other.

Very much appreciated, my friend.
tankme

Post by tankme »

I misspoke which resin I was using. I was using that brand that I posted, but that was for silicone molds and it was a different type. The one I use for pouring in the hulls is Clearcast 7000:

I think either of the ones I posted would work as they are both a clear resin. Most of them are pretty similar. Follow the directions and you should be fine. The Clearcast has a long set time...like overnight and doesn't heat up like a lot of them.
Derek
D_Idaho
Recruit

Post by D_Idaho »

Many thanks!

Return to “Modern Tanks”