1/12 Abrams M1A1 … hobby engine

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
Karl59J
Recruit

1/12 Abrams M1A1 … hobby engine

Post by Karl59J »

Hello guy’s and lady’s

I found my sons old hobby engine on the attic when were moving out to another house
Since i collect now 1/12 hengguan rc military trucks i was seeking after a matching 1/12 rc abrams to convert
I read a few convertions with heng long parts here but thats not my way of working , i go convert it with tamiya electronics and tamiya MF from there 1/16 abrams m1a2

Looking for metal upgrades like tracks , sprocket wheel and roadwheels and metal 120 smoothbore gun for it
Hope to hear from you
The real abrams m1a1 measured 7,93m so that gives in 1/12 almost 66 cm
The hobby engine lenght is 64,5 mm so if i lengten the gun with 13 mm the gun looks more scale and the abrams will be spot on 1/12 scale lenght too
I also go inplant torsion bars and reinforce the inside with 1 mm aluplate
My pc is not installed yet so i can not upload fotos directly from my tablet here , in a few weeks everything will fall into its place
That fotolimiting mucks up here cannot place any foto , i also cannot make them smaller on my tablet so be it am powerless
Last edited by Son of a gun-ner on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Altered the f word to mucks.
Karl59J
Recruit

Re: 1/12 Abrams M1A1 … hobby engine

Post by Karl59J »

You cannot use 1/16 heng long or tamiya parts for rcing and 1/12 abrams to tamiya standards
I have the 1/16 abrams M1A2 trumpeter kit for detailing references not sure yet wich i go,make the M1A2 or the M1A1 standard abrams
Its done before and it will succeed by time afterall were modellers we make what we not find
For the detailing i go print 3d parts but that is for later

You remember Kampfgruppe Kesnika ? That was me 4 to 3 years ago , i sold all 1/16 tanks and vehicles and started again last year in may in to 1/12 henguan Cougar , humvee and hemmt trucks and loader
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Karl59J wrote:You cannot use 1/16 heng long or tamiya parts for rcing and 1/12 abrams to tamiya standards
I have the 1/16 abrams M1A2 trumpeter kit for detailing references not sure yet wich i go,make the M1A2 or the M1A1 standard abrams
Its done before and it will succeed by time afterall were modellers we make what we not find
For the detailing i go print 3d parts but that is for later

You remember Kampfgruppe Kesnika ? That was me 4 to 3 years ago , i sold all 1/16 tanks and vehicles and started again last year in may in to 1/12 henguan Cougar , humvee and hemmt trucks and loader
Like you Karl I have the 1/12 scale HG Low Loader and the 1/16 scale Abrams looks just right on the trailer which makes me wonder what a 1/12 Abrams would look like on the trailer instead.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I would have to disagree about a 1/16 Abrams looking right on a 1/12 flat bed. The Abrams is really so large that it's tracks slightly hang over on the proper M1000 trailer that hauls it. The M1000 trailer has five axles and all 20 tires so it can distribute the weight. The low loader the HG is modeled on only has three axles and 12 tires. Additionally the M1000 trailer doesn't put all that weight on the hitch of the tow vehicle like the HG low boy because the wheels on the M1000 support the entire length of the trailer.

Back to the Hobby Engine tank. I'm surprised you say it is closer to 1/12 than 1/16. I had one for a while (now sold) and I don't remember it being any bigger than my Heng Long Abrams. I know a lot of folks have used Heng Long parts on the Hobby Engine tanks marketed as 1/16 unless there is some other Hobby Engine Abrams in 1/12 that I'm not aware of? Even a small measuring mistake multiplied by 16 can throw the calculations off. I'm not sure how an Abrams is measured. Does it include the height of the CROWS system? Is it only to the top of the commander's hatch or does it go all the way up to the top of the wind sensor when raised? Do they measure it with or without the length of the mud flaps? I don't know so I'm not sure how easy it would be to determine that the measurements are off. I guess my comparisons would be more with the width of the tracks, size of the wheels, and size of the sprockets. If those matched up with a 1/16 tank and looked like they were in proportion to the tank then I would guess it's 1/16th scale.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I think you'll find your dimensions are off, that 7.93m you give for the total length is only the hull length, with barrel facing forward, the M1 is 9.77m long, or the slightly longer barrel M1A1 9.83m long
Giving 495mm and 610mm or 614mm in 1/16th with 661mm and 814mm or 819 in 1/12th.
And there lies the confusion, the Hobby Engine Abrahams is close to 1/16th, not 1/12th.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

My son have that Hobby Engine Abrams, and with no doubts it is 1/16scale.
We have also Heng Long Leopard 2a6. Take a look here:
http://rctank.pl/forum/download/file.ph ... 43_Pro.jpg

We have also lower hull from Tamyia and Trumpeter Abrams. And I can say that all of they have almost the same dimension ( +/- 5mm )...

Return to “Modern Tanks”