Heng Long Leopard 2A6 - decal query

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Heng Long Leopard 2A6 - decal query

Post by SimonCornes »

I am acquiring tanks at a hell of a rate and I picked up one of these for a really good price a couple of weeks back. The problem though is that I don't like the sticky backed vinyl 'stickers' Heng Long give you.

I'm a water slide decal man through and through so I think that means my options are either Tamiya or Peddinghaus?

I have dowloaded a set of the decal instructions for the 1/35th Tamiya Leopard on the basis that the decals for the 1/16 kit (for which I can't get a free downloadable set of instructions!) will be the same.

Peddinhaus do a set for the 2A6 but I emailed him yesterday using his website contact form to ask if there is any imagery so that I can see what his decals look like on the tank but I haven't had a reply yet.

I must say that, compared to the scale aircraft fraternity, the information provided with tank decals seems pretty lightweight - it assumes the modeller knows in advance but my reference library is still a bit thin!.
Can anyone tell me what the Peddinghaus decals look like on the tank so that I can decide which decal set to buy please?
Thanks

Simon
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Heng Long Leopard 2A6 - decal query

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

You have a much better option than decals:

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... /stencils/

:)
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I can vouch for Rads stencils, You can commission your own or leave it to Rad,
Either way you won't be disappointed,
Top Quality at a cheap as chips price,
Talk to him you won't use decals again, well hardly ever :lolno:
The way I read your post it's as if you have not actually been to
www.peddinghaus-decals.de/
Peddinghaus has a very wide range of product, usually at least 3 sets for each vehicle quite often more,
If you do buy from peddinghaus it is worth knowing that he prints a complete unbroken sheet which you have to seperate by cutting the required decal out as and when you need it and the decals are very thin and fragile BUT top quality,
Me I prefer Rads stencils :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

First, Simon, I second every point jarndice has made. Peddinghouse is very good, but the decals are fragile; handle with care and results are fine. Rad is great!

Second, you say that you are "acquiring tanks at a hell of a rate." This is called addiction. My case is severe: my late wife had Alzheimers for 17 years, :( so she had no way to understand why the basement was filling up. :) I loved and cared for her throughout, but my minutes with models of all sorts kept me going. :clap: Now that there is no wife, I am a madman on the loose! :crazy: But with all the household expenses on my budget, I am also tight on money. :problem: Of course, dishes, underwear, are all superfluous. ;)

Third, you say, "the problem though is that I don't like the sticky backed vinyl 'stickers' Heng Long give you." I never saw sticker decals from HengLong or Taigen: I have only seen rub-on graphics. I have used them sparingly, mostly for Balkenkreuzen when I know they are correct as such. They go on as well as decalcomania (i.e. the soak type) without need for a gloss undercoat, and then I seal them (and all the weathering, etc.) with Testor's Dullcote or a similar finish. Am I the only one who has once-in-a-while done this?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:First, Simon, I second every point jarndice has made.

you say, "the problem though is that I don't like the sticky backed vinyl 'stickers' Heng Long give you." I never saw sticker decals from HengLong or Taigen: I have only seen rub-on graphics. I have used them sparingly, mostly for Balkenkreuzen when I know they are correct as such. They go on as well as decalcomania (i.e. the soak type) without need for a gloss undercoat, and then I seal them (and all the weathering, etc.) with Testor's Dullcote or a similar finish. Am I the only one who has once-in-a-while done this?
The only problem I have ever had with Taigen/Torro/Heng Long is where the heck is the waste bin,
They are truly RUBBISH as well as inaccurate,
I might find the Balkan Kreuze acceptable except it is too thick and stands proud whereas if you use a stencil it looks like it was painted on :haha: :haha: :haha: just like the real thing in fact :thumbup:
Please to save your embarrassment should somebody see your Tank/s dump the Supplied decals and either go with Peddinghaus or Rads Stencils. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Gents,
Thanks for the combined thoughts about the options. I used a set of masks made by Thunderbird Models on my Tiger I for Balkan kreuze and turret numbers and they nearly drove me mad! I needed to mask 3 sets of numbers but there were only enough masks for 2 sides and I was using white outlined red numbers. What a pain it all was - additional masking material (actually A4 copier paper cut and taped) then Tamiya white acrylic paint.Then having to re-insert the white outline (twice) before doing the red. And then having to use 'used masks' to do the third number set. Yes, I agree the painted on look is very good but equally I am very used to applying waterslide decal using the various solutions to 'pull' them onto the surface and varnishes to prevent 'silvering' and I used a set of Forgebear Dave's King Tiger decals last weekend which were going onto a zimmerit finished turret and the solutions pulled the decals into the zimmerit very well. I'm happy with decals!!

The outcome was that I didn't get a reply from Peddinghaus - he only has one sheet for the Leopard 2A6 anyway and that was priced at $18 plus postage. By contrast I bought a set of the Tamiya decals from Axels Modellbau for less than 7 euros plus 10 euros postage. His website generates an automatic DHL charge of around 42 euros for postage but when I made a whining noise he said that he could send them via 'Warenpost' for 10 euros. I know Tamiya decals can have thick carrier film but that should 'go' under a coat of matt varnish and at least the sheet should be comprehensive (he says hopefully!)
But, I may well use Rad's stencils for the Challenger 2 - I imagine he has something that may be of use? I have the web address so I will look but the Chally is a couple of models down the production line so no rush!

Simon
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi Simon,

Sorry about that experience with other paint masks. In my case the german turret numbers are done in just two steps. Please check the link I gave you, there you have a step by step tutorial that can guide you. if you need three set numbers I cut them three or four times, not two, lol. And yeah, don't forget I cut the numbers and tank names at your choice! so it will be custom stuff, just for you. ;)

@Jarndice: As always, thanks for the add support. I will send your montly payment at the end of the week, lol.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Thanks Rad
I will probably give you a try sooner or later!!
I was looking at your site last night and I see you don’t do anything for the Challenger 2 yet. I imagine you could do something if I told you what I wanted? At this moment I don’t know what I want but, when I do, I’ll let you know!!
Cheers
Simon
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

SimonCornes wrote:Thanks Rad
I was looking at your site last night and I see you don’t do anything for the Challenger 2 yet. I imagine you could do something if I told you what I wanted? At this moment I don’t know what I want but, when I do, I’ll let you know!!
Cheers
Simon
All the pics in that link are my own work in my own tanks. I have designed for many things more, including plane and boats, and I believe also a challenger, but I don't publish what I dont paint myself with the only exception of that afrika korps palm tree.

But yeah, that is the philosophy of my stuff, I can do unique things just for you, as long asit has not a very intrincate design or is using all rainbow colors, lol.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
SimonCornes wrote:Thanks Rad
Cheers
Simon
All the pics in that link are my own work in my own tanks. I have designed for many things more, including plane and boats, and I believe also a challenger, but I don't publish what I dont paint myself with the only exception of that afrika korps palm tree.

But yeah, that is the philosophy of my stuff, I can do unique things just for you, as long asit has not a very intrincate design or is using all rainbow colors, lol.
Thanks Rad, sounds a very good philosophy! As you say, multiple colours make life difficult!

Return to “Modern Tanks”