Tamiya Gepard Display Model RC Conversion

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Tamiya Gepard Display Model RC Conversion

Post by MichaelC »

Well finally calling this done. Longer than my usual build. Can't even remember when I started but I think it was after the 1st lockdown here in Toronto, Canada. Anyway, got this display model off eBay for a reasonable price last year, then headed over to AFV website for the RC parts but they are not shipping then because of COVID, but Dom at rctank.de comes thru again, got it for me from them and shipped over. Order the gearbox, turret mechanical mount, front radar rotation unit and resin replacement. Turns out that the gearbox and motors is just an upgraded Heng Long set with the right mounting plate and shafts (I was hoping OEM Tamiya), and the resin front radar replacement is like in another scale, so ended up DIY the front radar from the kit but RC it, same as the rear radar. Also hook up the twin cannon with LEDs. I think total was about $1000 CDN. Not bad for a Tamiya, and definitely not bad for a Gepard which is rare as hell.

phpBB [video]

dscn2738.jpg
dscn2739.jpg
dscn2740.jpg
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tamiya Gepard Display Model RC Conversion

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon!
I used to have one of these back when a cable was needed to control everything. Let's see a video of all the neat functions going! ( a walk down memory lane for me )
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Painless there is a youtube link on my original post with all the turret function going !
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Michael!
Thank you, Doc! ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Hywel
Recruit

Post by Hywel »

Great build!

Thanks very much for posting!

- Hywel
Hywel
Recruit

Post by Hywel »

Hi im building my Gepard now, looks like you used the AFV parts? The rear radar doesn’t seem available on their site anymore - are there any dealers out there? Any pics of the inside of the tank as their site doesn’t have much in the way of instructions or guides.

Thanks very much!

- Hywel
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Hywel wrote:Great build!

- Hywel
Always nice to see a new member. Perhaps you would like to visit the "Introduce yourself" thread as per the invitation in your welcome message. We love to help and to do so, it helps if we know a little about your tanks and where you are in the world.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Hywel wrote:Hi im building my Gepard now, looks like you used the AFV parts? The rear radar doesn’t seem available on their site anymore - are there any dealers out there? Any pics of the inside of the tank as their site doesn’t have much in the way of instructions or guides.

Thanks very much!

- Hywel
Hywel,

I did use AFV parts. I purchased the front radar, the front radar rotation unit as well as the turret frame for the elevation of the twin cannons. I didn't end up using the front radar at all as it seems to be too big (I guess it was actually the A2 model) and ended up DIY the stock one to be RC control (rotation and elevation). The rear radar that AFV carry doesn't seem to be any different than the stock one, and it didn't look like it has provision for RC so I didn't get it. I DIY it as well with a 360 degree nano servo.

I will be upgrading it to the A2 version (minus the front radar which I think is too big) with more parts from AFV, so when I when I put it on the work bench again I will try to get some inside picture but it will be difficult to see. I would suggest that you get the internal turret frame and the front radar rotation unit as they are the most difficult part to DIY I think.

MichaelC.
Hywel
Recruit

Post by Hywel »

MichaelC wrote:
Hywel wrote:Hi im building my Gepard now, looks like you used the AFV parts? The rear radar doesn’t seem available on their site anymore - are there any dealers out there? Any pics of the inside of the tank as their site doesn’t have much in the way of instructions or guides.

Thanks very much!

- Hywel
Hywel,

I did use AFV parts. I purchased the front radar, the front radar rotation unit as well as the turret frame for the elevation of the twin cannons. I didn't end up using the front radar at all as it seems to be too big (I guess it was actually the A2 model) and ended up DIY the stock one to be RC control (rotation and elevation). The rear radar that AFV carry doesn't seem to be any different than the stock one, and it didn't look like it has provision for RC so I didn't get it. I DIY it as well with a 360 degree nano servo.

I will be upgrading it to the A2 version (minus the front radar which I think is too big) with more parts from AFV, so when I when I put it on the work bench again I will try to get some inside picture but it will be difficult to see. I would suggest that you get the internal turret frame and the front radar rotation unit as they are the most difficult part to DIY I think.

MichaelC.
That’s super helpfiul, thank you. Your build has inspired me to get moving on this! I was planning on the internal frame parts for sure, plus some of the additional resin bits too maybe. I’ll post progress pics!
Hywel
Recruit

Post by Hywel »

silversurfer1947 wrote:
Hywel wrote:Great build!

- Hywel
Always nice to see a new member. Perhaps you would like to visit the "Introduce yourself" thread as per the invitation in your welcome message. We love to help and to do so, it helps if we know a little about your tanks and where you are in the world.
Will do! Cheers!

Return to “Modern Tanks”