Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.

Postby BarryC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:13 am

tankmaniac wrote:
BarryC wrote:Thanks Tankmaniac,

I found a an eBay listing here in the states and scoped up both he had listed. :thumbup:

Resicast does not list them on their web site, maybe discontinued? :(

Barry

I bought mine on ebay as well. Didn’t do much research on them, was more like:”Eh, let’s go buy them to check how big they are”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make a lot of purchases for modeling that way! :haha:
BarryC
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby BarryC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:19 am

tankmaniac wrote:
BarryC wrote:Thanks for the insight into the "upgrades".

May I ask what part of the world you are in?

Barry

You’re very welcome!
I’m just around the corner from where you live. Augusta, GA. USA.

Cool, your the closest "tanker" thus far! :thumbup: There is another here in the Columbia SC area if memory serves.
BarryC

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:15 am

tankmaniac wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Those chipped edges are incredibly well done and, more to the point not overdone. A few members go for more extreme weathering. Yours is entirely subtle and believable.. :)
One question, have you ever used these bespoke products from Tamiya, and if so, how do you rate them? What do you use for the chipped edges? Sorry, that's two questions.. :/
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm

Thanks for the Compliments.
Those Tamiya products is what I actually used. The only thing I did not like about them is that they’re a bit too diluted for my taste. They tend to bleed out too much, so I added Model Masters enamel (Flat Burnt Umber) to the dark brown panel line accent and flat black enamel to the black accent. Now they “puddle” more. I do not moisten the surface either. I sealed the base coat with Tamiya Flat clear out of their rattle can, add the panel wash, and clean lines up using a flat tipped brush with some Humbrol enamel thinner.
For the chipping I used two custom mixed colors after I drybrushed the entire tank. A “warm” steel color, followed by some “warm” reddish brown. By “Warm” I mean the hue of the color. I took a pic of them in their jars if that helps.
I didn’t use a foam for the application and no lighter base coat before hand either as I didn’t want to make the chipped areas to appears bubbly, flaky or aged. I wanted to give this tank the “End of the war, over cars, through buildings and sandstorms” etc. kind of abraded and scratched appearance if that makes sense.
Sorry for the longwinded reply. Image

Don't apologise. Detailed replies are are always very welcome, especially when they contain useful information, tips & tricks, lessons learned..and so on. :thumbup: Simply presenting the finished model for general behoof
has some merit; but not nearly as much as when the journey it took, and all the obstacles overcome, to get it all together is described as well.... :D :wave:

43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby tankmaniac » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:29 am

Received my metal tracks today. Took less than a week to get them from an eBay seller in Canada. Not sure if I will use them though. Each inner and other rubber pad is simply glued to each other through a cut out in the track link. The edges flop around and appear as if one well executed pivot turn will tear them all off....ImageImageImageImageImage

tankmaniac
Recruit

Postby BarryC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:53 am

Interesting, those are the Mato tracks based on the product # MT201.

I believe I have a set that were included with my Ludwig M60 kit. I had thought about getting a set for my Abrams because they are a lighter weigh as compared to the Heng Long tracks.

Barry
BarryC

Postby tankmaniac » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:17 am

BarryC wrote:Interesting, those are the Mato tracks based on the product # MT201.

I believe I have a set that were included with my Ludwig M60 kit. I had thought about getting a set for my Abrams because they are a lighter weigh as compared to the Heng Long tracks.

Barry

These are quite heavy. If I decide to install them, I will have to apply some glue around every single rubber pad’s edge to make them look right.

tankmaniac
Recruit

Postby tankmaniac » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 am

Optics are done. Tank is about 95% finished now. ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

tankmaniac
Recruit

Postby BarryC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:48 am

Optics look excellent....is that the Special Ops material?

Barry
BarryC

Postby tankmaniac » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:12 am

BarryC wrote:Optics look excellent....is that the Special Ops material?

Barry

Thank you Barry. Your comments really mean a lot to me. And yes, it’s the Special Ops material. I measured and fabricated template(s), scanned them as a .pdf, and cut the film with a plotter. That way the 8 pieces on the Commander’s Cupola for example are all 100% of the exact same size and shape. I will check with a local vinyl guy to see if I can get the same material through them, much cheaper that way.

tankmaniac
Recruit

Postby pitstain » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Wow, just wow.

I am starting on the weathering of my own build now and can only hope it comes out half as good as this masterpiece.

Would you mind sharing where you got the spent shell casings, they are an awesome extra detail.
pitstain
Lance Corporal

Postby HvyCgn9 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:23 am

Wow really impressive tank! If you have time could you list where you got some of your exterior goodies?? gun's, esky's etc??

Cheers Bruce
HvyCgn9
Private

Postby Eastern Front » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:25 pm

BarryC wrote:
tankmaniac wrote:
BarryC wrote:Thanks for the insight into the "upgrades".

May I ask what part of the world you are in?

Barry

You’re very welcome!
I’m just around the corner from where you live. Augusta, GA. USA.

Cool, your the closest "tanker" thus far! :thumbup: There is another here in the Columbia SC area if memory serves.

Serves you well,,,that would be me :shh:

Cheers!
Eastern Front
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby tankme » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:09 am

Spent cases can be found on Ebay. One of the pics shows the manufacturer based out of Poland.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-GM16001 ... 2633110147

tankme
Private

Postby BarryC » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:31 pm

tankme wrote:Spent cases can be found on Ebay. One of the pics shows the manufacturer based out of Poland.

Those are not the ones he used but the Master set is fantastic and I will be scattering them all around my 50 cal. The only trick with the spent casing lying around is that you need the Links as well for the 50 cal. as they are just as abundant as the empty casing.

Barry
BarryC

Postby Eastern Front » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:30 pm

BarryC wrote:
tankme wrote:Spent cases can be found on Ebay. One of the pics shows the manufacturer based out of Poland.

Those are not the ones he used but the Master set is fantastic and I will be scattering them all around my 50 cal. The only trick with the spent casing lying around is that you need the Links as well for the 50 cal. as they are just as abundant as the empty casing.

Barry

True, but we know by your build Barry, your just dying to make about 100 of those out of fine brass sheet ( I am betting your wheels are turning upstairs) :haha: :haha: :haha:

This is a nice build as is Barry's
Eastern Front
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby fury69 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:44 am

Very nice.

fury69
Recruit

Postby tankmaniac » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Sorry, totally forgot that I joined this forum. I just went on eBay for all of the accessories. Some came from Poland, Korea, China, heck even from Australia. I already won a few Awards at local shows with it, and actually changed a few things on it as well. Just type in “1/16 Modern US” into the eBay search bar, and a lot of goodies will show up. I am currently 3D sculpting a tankcrew with a free software called “Meshmixer”. Once I have prototypes printed, I might make resin duplicates for sale.

tankmaniac
Recruit

Postby BarryC » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:37 pm

tankmaniac wrote: I am currently 3D sculpting a tankcrew with a free software called “Meshmixer”. Once I have prototypes printed, I might make resin duplicates for sale. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be very interested in seeing the final results. I'm looking for a crew for my build.

Barry
BarryC

Previous

Return to Modern Tanks