Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by BarryC »

tankmaniac wrote:
BarryC wrote:Thanks Tankmaniac,

I found a an eBay listing here in the states and scoped up both he had listed. :thumbup:

Resicast does not list them on their web site, maybe discontinued? :(

Barry
I bought mine on ebay as well. Didn’t do much research on them, was more like:”Eh, let’s go buy them to check how big they are”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I make a lot of purchases for modeling that way! :haha:
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankmaniac wrote:
BarryC wrote:Thanks for the insight into the "upgrades".

May I ask what part of the world you are in?

Barry
You’re very welcome!
I’m just around the corner from where you live. Augusta, GA. USA. Image

Cool, your the closest "tanker" thus far! :thumbup: There is another here in the Columbia SC area if memory serves.
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tankmaniac wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Those chipped edges are incredibly well done and, more to the point not overdone. A few members go for more extreme weathering. Yours is entirely subtle and believable.. :)
One question, have you ever used these bespoke products from Tamiya, and if so, how do you rate them? What do you use for the chipped edges? Sorry, that's two questions.. :/
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm
Thanks for the Compliments.
Those Tamiya products is what I actually used. The only thing I did not like about them is that they’re a bit too diluted for my taste. They tend to bleed out too much, so I added Model Masters enamel (Flat Burnt Umber) to the dark brown panel line accent and flat black enamel to the black accent. Now they “puddle” more. I do not moisten the surface either. I sealed the base coat with Tamiya Flat clear out of their rattle can, add the panel wash, and clean lines up using a flat tipped brush with some Humbrol enamel thinner.
For the chipping I used two custom mixed colors after I drybrushed the entire tank. A “warm” steel color, followed by some “warm” reddish brown. By “Warm” I mean the hue of the color. I took a pic of them in their jars if that helps.
I didn’t use a foam for the application and no lighter base coat before hand either as I didn’t want to make the chipped areas to appears bubbly, flaky or aged. I wanted to give this tank the “End of the war, over cars, through buildings and sandstorms” etc. kind of abraded and scratched appearance if that makes sense.
Sorry for the longwinded reply. ImageImage

Don't apologise. Detailed replies are are always very welcome, especially when they contain useful information, tips & tricks, lessons learned..and so on. :thumbup: Simply presenting the finished model for general behoof
has some merit; but not nearly as much as when the journey it took, and all the obstacles overcome, to get it all together is described as well.... :D :wave:

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

Received my metal tracks today. Took less than a week to get them from an eBay seller in Canada. Not sure if I will use them though. Each inner and other rubber pad is simply glued to each other through a cut out in the track link. The edges flop around and appear as if one well executed pivot turn will tear them all off....ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Interesting, those are the Mato tracks based on the product # MT201.

I believe I have a set that were included with my Ludwig M60 kit. I had thought about getting a set for my Abrams because they are a lighter weigh as compared to the Heng Long tracks.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

BarryC wrote:Interesting, those are the Mato tracks based on the product # MT201.

I believe I have a set that were included with my Ludwig M60 kit. I had thought about getting a set for my Abrams because they are a lighter weigh as compared to the Heng Long tracks.

Barry
These are quite heavy. If I decide to install them, I will have to apply some glue around every single rubber pad’s edge to make them look right. Image

tankmaniac
Recruit

Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by tankmaniac »

Optics are done. Tank is about 95% finished now. ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Optics look excellent....is that the Special Ops material?

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankmaniac
Recruit

Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by tankmaniac »

BarryC wrote:Optics look excellent....is that the Special Ops material?

Barry
Thank you Barry. Your comments really mean a lot to me. And yes, it’s the Special Ops material. I measured and fabricated template(s), scanned them as a .pdf, and cut the film with a plotter. That way the 8 pieces on the Commander’s Cupola for example are all 100% of the exact same size and shape. I will check with a local vinyl guy to see if I can get the same material through them, much cheaper that way. Image

pitstain
Corporal

Post by pitstain »

Wow, just wow.

I am starting on the weathering of my own build now and can only hope it comes out half as good as this masterpiece.

Would you mind sharing where you got the spent shell casings, they are an awesome extra detail.

Return to “Modern Tanks”