Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Re: Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Wow really impressive tank! If you have time could you list where you got some of your exterior goodies?? gun's, esky's etc??

Cheers Bruce
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Spent cases can be found on Ebay. One of the pics shows the manufacturer based out of Poland.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-GM16001 ... 2633110147
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankme wrote:Spent cases can be found on Ebay. One of the pics shows the manufacturer based out of Poland.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-GM16001 ... 2633110147
Those are not the ones he used but the Master set is fantastic and I will be scattering them all around my 50 cal. The only trick with the spent casing lying around is that you need the Links as well for the 50 cal. as they are just as abundant as the empty casing.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
fury69
Recruit

Post by fury69 »

Very nice.
tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

Sorry, totally forgot that I joined this forum. I just went on eBay for all of the accessories. Some came from Poland, Korea, China, heck even from Australia. I already won a few Awards at local shows with it, and actually changed a few things on it as well. Just type in “1/16 Modern US” into the eBay search bar, and a lot of goodies will show up. I am currently 3D sculpting a tankcrew with a free software called “Meshmixer”. Once I have prototypes printed, I might make resin duplicates for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankmaniac wrote: I am currently 3D sculpting a tankcrew with a free software called “Meshmixer”. Once I have prototypes printed, I might make resin duplicates for sale. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would be very interested in seeing the final results. I'm looking for a crew for my build.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Battle7
Recruit

Post by Battle7 »

tankmaniac wrote:Hello everyone. I used to build 1/35 model tanks as a teenager and always wanted a large scale RC version of a Tamiya tank. Well, as as kid I didn’t have the funds to buy one and Tamiya never made an Abrams in 16th scale. Fast forward 30years, and finally they released one. I bought it with the intention to make this one as realistic looking as I could. I want it to look realistic from like 3-4ft. away, so I will not be changing every handle for a wire bent one. Image I upgraded the barrel elevation servo for the fastest, highest resolution savox I could find, reinforced the turret with carbon fiber struts and the inside of the lower hull deck with aluminum braces, sleeved the barrel to eliminate all slop and also replaced the elevation units “j” bent wire with something with less slop. Now there is no “wiggle” of the barrel whatsoever and the response time of the barrel stabilizer is super smooth and realistic looking. As far as the outside goes, there are a bunch of scratch built items to give it a more realistic look. Stowage items are a combination of a lot of different brands and I still will do all periscopes and optics with a self adhesive film to give it that color changing look. Also on order are some all metal tracks with rubber pads on both sides.
Enjoy the pics.Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Nice Paint job! What color did you use for the chipping effect and color for the pin wash?
tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

Battle7 wrote:
tankmaniac wrote:Hello everyone. I used to build 1/35 model tanks as a teenager and always wanted a large scale RC version of a Tamiya tank. Well, as as kid I didn’t have the funds to buy one and Tamiya never made an Abrams in 16th scale. Fast forward 30years, and finally they released one. I bought it with the intention to make this one as realistic looking as I could. I want it to look realistic from like 3-4ft. away, so I will not be changing every handle for a wire bent one. Image I upgraded the barrel elevation servo for the fastest, highest resolution savox I could find, reinforced the turret with carbon fiber struts and the inside of the lower hull deck with aluminum braces, sleeved the barrel to eliminate all slop and also replaced the elevation units “j” bent wire with something with less slop. Now there is no “wiggle” of the barrel whatsoever and the response time of the barrel stabilizer is super smooth and realistic looking. As far as the outside goes, there are a bunch of scratch built items to give it a more realistic look. Stowage items are a combination of a lot of different brands and I still will do all periscopes and optics with a self adhesive film to give it that color changing look. Also on order are some all metal tracks with rubber pads on both sides.
Enjoy the pics.Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Nice Paint job! What color did you use for the chipping effect and color for the pin wash?
Thanks. Tamiya dark brown pinwash, and the chipping effect is a mix of “German grey” with some reddish brown, and some Nato black.

kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by kintaroukinji »

Your expressions such as chipping and oil stains are not overstated and are really great. I think that the weathering painted on 1/16 scale tanks is likely to be intentional and unnatural if painted in the same way as the 1/35 scale feeling. Nevertheless, your weathering is natural and wonderful.

Return to “Modern Tanks”