PL-01 Concept 1/16 scale (scratch)

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
UZI
Recruit

PL-01 Concept 1/16 scale (scratch)

Post by UZI »

Hi all,
I recently started construction of the second model of tank, it will be the PL-01 Concept on a scale of 1/16. This is a project of the Polish MTB tank of the next generation, but it is not likely to go beyond the conceptual design.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

A few years ago, a model of this vehicle, which captivated me with its futuristic appearance, was presented to the public. Then I decided that in the future I will build a model of this vehicle. The PL-01 Concept was designed from the ground up in CreoParametric 3D, mainly based on OBRUM mock-ups and familiar exterior dimensions.
Design took more than a year and now I'm going to materialize the project. The model will mostly be made using SLS and PolyJet 3D printing. Certain elements will be made of metal CNC machining and some manual. I plan to use tracks from the M41 tank model. The drive will be two BLDC electric motors with a total power of 620W and the power will supply the 3S 5000mAh battery.
Last edited by UZI on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Per aspera ada astra
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: PL-01 Concept 1/16 scale (scratch)

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Very impressive plan :thumbup: Europe has dictated that the power of a vacuum cleaner should not exceed 900 watts throughout the member nations. Much to our annoyance @) I just wonder whether they'll raise their legislative eyebrows over your model tank boasting an eco-breaking 650 watts :D
That's going to be one mighty beast :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

very impressive tank indeed. I've seen this before and was also blown away by the futuristic design. Your model is fantastic and I would like to see more as you progress with the design and build.

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
UZI
Recruit

Post by UZI »

I created the project myself from scratch based on photographs and known dimensions of PL-01 Concept in Creo Parametric 3.0. The project looks like this:
phpBB [video]
Per aspera ada astra
UZI
Recruit

Post by UZI »

The model was made method SLS 3D printing. The hull and the tower are divided into two parts to make it easier for the internal installation. The wall thickness is different, but the main surfaces are about 3mm. The outer barrel is made as one elem with 1mm thick walls and has internal stiffeners.
Per aspera ada astra
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Really well done amazing what you have accomplished from design to actual prototype
Tanks alot.... :wave:
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I have always wondered why it has such a tall profile, just look at above the tracks compared to other modern tanks. It's like they want it to be hit on the sides!

But your model of it looks very good! Can't wait to see more. :thumbup:
UZI
Recruit

Post by UZI »

The "PL-01Concept" is a tall vehicle because it is not a typical MTB tank. Its design is the result of a tank of medium and heavily armored infantry vehicles. At the rear is a compartment for six soldiers landing. This solution is similar to "Merkava" tank solutions. The PL-01 is a typical unmanned structure, with an internal magazine of ammunition. Of course it's just a project and so far the OBRUM does not announce the serial production of this or similar vehicle.

In contrast, the model is under construction, and I present successive results:
Speaker installation design:
Ventilation grille design:
And the PolyJet print method:
Per aspera ada astra
UZI
Recruit

Post by UZI »

FDM printed with black ABS box on Elmod.
Per aspera ada astra
UZI
Recruit

Post by UZI »

I recently was on a nice tour in England. I especially liked the museum in Bovington.
I was also on SMW in Telford and there I presented my model including the unfinished PL-01 Concept.
Per aspera ada astra

Return to “Modern Tanks”