T-90SM Project.

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
Plagerreap
Recruit

T-90SM Project.

Post by Plagerreap »

I'm going to take my first attempt at making a tank with a vehicle I'm particularly obsessed with at the moment. The T-90SM (widely, and incorrectly known as the T-90MS) I'm making it at what I'd call a 1/24 scale, but the parts I'm using for the main build comes from a 1/24 RC Airsoft Leopard II A5, so the actual scale would probably be a 1/23-1/20th scale due to the T-90SM being a tank smaller in profile than the Leopard II and other MBT's. My first incarnation of the vehicle will be made with cardboard, because I'm cheap, haven't done this before, and would rather not buy the materials that should be used on such projects until I know what I'm doing, and have grown decent doing it. I'm not concerned with the front views, they won't be as important with measuring/scaling. But does this look like a correct rough measurement of turret size compared to the chassis?
Rough dimensions
Rough dimensions
My first update will likely be the chassis and a stock turret (without the reactive armor that gives the T-90SM its sharp angles) it will likely look a bit like this:
T-90SM Stock Turret Configuration.
T-90SM Stock Turret Configuration.
HL Abrams M1A2
---------------------
Home made
--------------------
T-90SM

-NO SIR I WILL NOT ABANDON MY TANK MY GUN IS STILL WORKING AND I WILL GET THESE BASTARDS
Plagerreap
Recruit

Re: T-90SM Project.

Post by Plagerreap »

I still need to paint it/water proof it, but I've got the overall tank complete.
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG
If you noticed the airsoft pellet box in the rear of the turret, that's my extra airsoft storage, besides the handful I can keep in the turret itself.
HL Abrams M1A2
---------------------
Home made
--------------------
T-90SM

-NO SIR I WILL NOT ABANDON MY TANK MY GUN IS STILL WORKING AND I WILL GET THESE BASTARDS
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looks like a hell of a job to me mate :thumbup:
Do you reckon the same technique will work in styrene and brass ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Plagerreap
Recruit

Post by Plagerreap »

Yea, I suppose it would, the only problems you may have are with the thickness of your pieces. The only reason I really say that is I used a thicker cardboard for the reactive armor on the turret, just so it would look right. And surely people like you with tons more experience than me could make a model that looks better. If you make an extra I'd buy it! Because cardboard is cheap, easily bended, cut, ect. And I'd rather have a tank that wouldn't get wrecked every time an accident happens.
HL Abrams M1A2
---------------------
Home made
--------------------
T-90SM

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I hear ya on the cardboard thing.
I use it to template all my armour add ons like engine deck, roof and other applique as required.
Easy to adjust and shape before committing to brass later on.
Sometimes I think it would be much easier to paint the cardboard template than process the brass !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Plagerreap
Recruit

Post by Plagerreap »

Alright, I'd love to show pictures of the painted tank....but image optimizer keeps flipping the photos updisde down..... so I guess I'll try a different site.....
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
And my next project, the leopard 2A4 Evolution, I'm not sure when I'll start, but my first step is buying a Leopard 2A4, or a Type 90 (because of its resemblance to the A4, adding the additions to the turret and chassis will make it near unidentifiable as a Type 90)
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (19.87 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
HL Abrams M1A2
---------------------
Home made
--------------------
T-90SM

Plagerreap
Recruit

Post by Plagerreap »

By the way, places where black ran across the red and grey, my tape started to pull up apparently..... :(
HL Abrams M1A2
---------------------
Home made
--------------------
T-90SM

Return to “Modern Tanks”