Modern Tanker Figures

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Re: Modern Tanker Figures

Post by Jay-Em »

I think they would work as a reasonable facsimile of a russian crew. Check-out the new russian camo scheme for uniforms, and use those colours. Me thinks that would work.

The differences are there if You know what to look for. Having said that, as a former academy of fine arts student, I learned to study faces, bodies, postures and such in excruciating detail. Hour, upon hour of drawing many models of many ethnicities tend to do that.

Though, the very mixed people around the China/Russia border are quite impossible to place in a specific country.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Re: Modern Tanker Figures

Post by Jay-Em »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:I think they would work as a reasonable facsimile of a russian crew. Check-out the new russian camo scheme for uniforms, and use those colours. Me thinks that would work.
Cool, I'm glad you agree, I was in two minds, means I'll have to get another set to re model for a leopard lol.
Jay-Em wrote:The differences are there if You know what to look for. Having said that, as a former academy of fine arts student, I learned to study faces, bodies, postures and such in excruciating detail. Hour, upon hour of drawing many models of many ethnicities tend to do that.

Though, the very mixed people around the China/Russia border are quite impossible to place in a specific country.
So, you must have found that link I sent quite interesting :thumbup:
There was a quiz to see if you could tell the differences, can't seem to find it now, would love to see how you'd fair ;)

Edit, yay, found it.

Quiz Time! Can You Tell The Difference Between Asian Women's Faces? - The Japan Guy
https://www.thejapanguy.com/asian-women-faces-quiz/
Nope, I absolutely cannot, because of the layers of make-up. When shown “normal” women, I usually can distinguish them very well. Models for the asian market are specifically chosen for their non-specific-ness, and then swathed in make-up to make them even more non-specific “Asian”. It’s how it works in marketing. The widest appeal sells the most.

Oddly enough, that non-specificness (read ‘standard white’) of the faces of SOL’s female figures is a bit of a shame, and the only niggle I have with those otherwise amázing figures. I would have lóved a somewhat more jewish, or even arab, face for the IDF girls, or the sort of white/asan mix one tends to see in south-east Russia for the modern russian crew. My eyesight, ànd fine-motor control has deteriorated through the years, so modding those tiiiny features with putty and some judicial carving -like I used to do when younger- is no longer an option, sadly.

The female Bundeswehr crew is spot-on, though.

Maybe a bit too much to ask for in that scale. I did sculpting myself (in a far bigger scale) and it’s no mean feat to get -at least- a somewhat attractive face, let alone an ethnic-specific one that doesn’t descent into mockery.

B.o.t It’s a bit of a shame that we have oodles of variations on the 1/16 WW2 German crews, but almost none of any modern tank crew. Verlinden went bust, so, their figures are starting to get as scarce as hen’s teeth, and there’s only só far one can go with the Tamiya offerings, unless vèry proficient with putty and the modeling knife...

I hópe, since Tamiya has finally gone for an M1, that we can see a full-blown american crew in the near-future. Not holding my breath, though.

Return to “Modern Tanks”