Leopard 2A6 Restoration

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Leopard 2A6 Restoration

Post by KTRob »

Hi Guys,

Now the P4's done, I need something else to get on with, I bought this from Tomhugill a while ago, my first piece of modern armour.

Its all there and runs well, just needs a few details fixing and a repaint.....in typical fashion though I have managed to find new ways to empty the wallet and decided on a few upgrades, in no particular order:

Afv Tensioners
Afv Swingarms
Ball bearing set
Will fit a battle system of some sort
Afv Tow hitch, shackles and MG3

Starting point:

Ball bearings going in:

Swing arms on:

I need to charge the camera up, I have the lower hull done and have stripped the upper down. I have just got done repairing the fibre optics at the back....fiddly job :haha:

More to follow.......
You can never have too many tanks...... :D
DNAR
Lance Corporal

Re: Leopard 2A6 Restoration

Post by DNAR »

Looking good! Will be very interested in following your re-build.
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Thanks DNAR, done a bit more:

The wheels have all had the bushings replaced with ball bearings. I gave the tyres and tracks a good wash and they came up pretty well.

The wheels and lower have been painted Nato Green (Think I will go for a standard NATO camouflage scheme).

One tip for anyone doing the fibre optics, do not allow any form of solvent glue (extra thin cement, etc) to touch the fibres. I glued mine in with the tamiya cement and the next day they had all broken off at the join. On testing I found the cement makes the fibre go brittle. I used a hotglue gun in the end :shifty:

Just finished up replacing detail parts on the upper hull, will put up a pic tomorrow.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Fibres are fairly difficult, I didn't end up using glue, just persevered and got them sitting right.

Not another green one ;D

Nice re build, I need to get the mg3 for mine.
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Thanks guys,

It is a bit too green :D

I think the trouble I had with the lights is that I was using non tamiya Fibre optic, perhaps their stuff is more flexible?

Done the upper hull, had to replace a few handles, etc. and also painted the turret lower.

I can't progress much further as my airbrush is knackered and am waiting for a new one to turn up... :problem:

KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

My new airbrush came last week (A Draper gravity feed single action, dead ringer for an Iwata but made in china 8O )

It works really well off my spraywork compressor, just had to remove the air stop and soon had the top and turret done:

Next job was to install a set of DKLM metal gears:

Good timing too as the small gears had started to mash the flats up:

Photo etch grills:

When I tried to install the turret, it was hitting the fan covers and intakes, so I cut out a shim from 0.3 plasticard and placed on the turret:

All together:

I have hooked up the DMD and had a drive round to make sure it all works OK:

Just working on the main gun now....
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

I am getting near to finished on this refurb now,

My brother bought me an airbrush booth for xmas, so I don't end up fumigating myself and the house! :crazy:

I have to say now I have one I wouldn't be without it, no fumes, no spraying bits of the house that don't need spraying....

The overspray cleans off easily with a drop of soap and water.

Once I had the painting done, it was the joy of squeezing all the electricals into the turret, this is how she looks now:

I scratch built the left turret basket out of brass scrap as the frame was missing, but the PE mesh was present:

I have developed a bit of a problem with the gun though, once I put it back together the gun wouldn't lift to clear the rear deck when the turret is turned. (It did before I took it apart).

On checking through, the "turret limiter switch" had a broken wire which I resoldered, but it still won't work....

Everything else works OK though :thumbup:
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Pulled the turret to bits last night and I think the limiter switch is dead, the elevation servo didn't react when I pushed it...

Just ordered another one, so won't be finished for a few more days.......
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Very smart. Must play with mine again soon, forgot about the gun lifting!

Does it only do it when the barrel is low?
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Hi Ad Lav,

It only works if the gun is set low enough to catch the rear of the tank. What should happen is at a certain point in rotation, the switch runs onto a ridge in the inside of the turret ring, the turret motor stops for a moment to give the servo time to lift the gun to level then it carries.on rotating.

I think my resoldering might have damaged the switch (melted it inside?).

Just another little problem to solve...

Return to “Modern Tanks”