DKLM Leo 2 Metal chassis, 550 motors & IBU2 Pro

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
atcttge
Sergeant

Re: DKLM Leo 2 Metal chassis, 550 motors & IBU2 Pro

Post by atcttge »

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

I want. But I guess I'll have to settle with plastic hulls for the loooooooooooong time until I win the lottery. :D

As for sprockets eating up grass, I played with my M1 at my cousin's property which has pine trees. The grassy ground was littered with pine needles. Too bad I didn't take photos because the tracks and sprockets ate these pine needles and next thing I see, my RC tank has thick conical pigtails of pine needles emanating from the sprockets. :D

So a lesson for me: Do not play in grassy area with lots of fallen pine needles. :haha:
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: DKLM Leo 2 Metal chassis, 550 motors & IBU2 Pro

Post by Tankbear »

Another update.

I recharged the LiPo battery last night and it took 4000mah (5500mah battery) so I was a bit off with my estimate running time before.

Rubber track pads, these came already installed but I didn’t bother removing them and gluing in place. After the initial runs it doesn’t look like any pads have come loose.

I also got a second pair of 550 motors and gearboxes, last night I opened the case up to have a look. All looks neat and tidy some white grease already added to the gears (black metal) but not excessive amounts. The final drive is ball raced which I knew about but every other axle in the gearbox is also ball raced. I briefly ran them on the workbench connected directly to a battery, at first sounded a little rough but did quieten down after a few minutes in both directions. I am surprised even though all ball raced and fully enclosed the gearboxes are far from quiet. All I can think is maybe the gears are not meshing perfectly, but this might get better with use. Plus if your running metal tracks like my Leo you won’t hear the gearboxes over the track noise.

I’ve no idea of the specification of the 550 motor used, but is should be a straight swap to some tuned 540 motors to improve speed or torque. So lots of scope to play around a bit. I’ve also been told brushless motors have same fixing mounts as 540 motors so maybe there is an avenue for people who want to move to brushless motors.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com

Return to “Modern Tanks”