Something New on the Horizon

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
ALPHA
Major-General

Something New on the Horizon

Post by ALPHA »

RC TANKS .............. :haha: :haha:
The Black Knight :D
Article link
http://blog.tankpedia.org/category/prototype/
Video from that article

Imagine playing with one of these in your back yard :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
PS...The downside to having a drone tank is that you will burn twice as much fuel...as the operator has to be in his own armored vehicle :thumbdown: ...Playing with one must be a blast though :thumbup: ................. :haha:
Last edited by ALPHA on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Re: SOMETHING NEW ON THE HORIZON

Post by 971wright »

Hi Dont see the point it probably costs more than a M1A2 ,I don't think an abrams has been knocked out with another tank (think they lost one in Bagdad but the crew survived ) so why have a RC drone tank. This could probably be knocked out with an RPG just a waste of money, you can send in a abrams with a drone aircraft for top cover .

regards pete
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: SOMETHING NEW ON THE HORIZON

Post by ALPHA »

971wright wrote:Hi Dont see the point it probably costs more than a M1A2 ,I don't think an abrams has been knocked out with another tank (think they lost one in Bagdad but the crew survived ) so why have a RC drone tank. This could probably be knocked out with an RPG just a waste of money, you can send in a abrams with a drone aircraft for top cover .

regards pete
Yup ...have to agree....mini drones tanks would also be more practical...kind of like the models the Germans made in WW2....armored enough to get from point A to B...then blow itself and whatever is around it up :D
Looks like we are working on some different models

but the way they have them designed...they are too fragile to be of any use looks like they could be taken out or flipped over with a grenade :thumbdown:

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Something New on the Horizon

Post by jackalope »

If a drone tank could be operated by 1 person sitting several thousand miles away similar to how the Air Forces drones work it could work. But I would think they would need to be a little smaller, maybe the size of a large SUV and FAST they'd need to be fast! Heavy armor wouldn't be needed neither would a large caliber main gun on most of them. I'm thinking deploy these in a battle group that would contain maybe 2 tanks with a 120mm cannon then have like 6 smaller faster tanks that would have a gun similer to the one found in the nose of an A-10 mounted on a turret. Make them low profile and again FAST! Ever see a Ripsaw tank? Yeah like them only with a 20mm machine gun.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

As a positive note...I'm glad the military is opening it's mind towards the use of remote units....on the negative side...it's like they have no idea of how to apply the ever growing technology ....I had once thought they came up with a similar tracked drone to locate hidden or buried IEDs....but when doing a search I couldn't find anything on them...so maybe it was just me thinking out loud...but I do think that would be a practical use...just make sure the weight is the same of a man...then go prowling around areas that are suspect :thumbup:

ALPHA
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

H Bomb disposal have had robot/drones for years to go look at car bombs and the like , have been used since the seventies , they have been upgraded since then with better technology .The American army is also using drone trucks called mules to take ammo to troops to save men going into the open just to get ammo to others.
I can see the use for drones to stop putting lives in danger , but drone tanks is a none starter if it had a flail fitted to clear mines could see a use for it, much better to recon by aircraft drone faster can hit targets of opportunity ,but better to get recon info without giving away the fact you have a drone in the area, bad guys will gather together then hit them one shot lots of bad guys out of action.

regards pete
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Well the best and most economical way to dispose of useless insurgents ...pull out....leave some toys for them to plunder

then just nuke the bastards :D
We still got them...people are crying for deescalation ....what better way to satisfy everyone ;)

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Nukes aren't the answer, you don't want to accidently kill your neighbors while taking out the trash (bad guys). No I'm thinking about Dresden and what happened to it in WWII would be just lovely to be done today to the insurgents. Sure let them hide in their caves but how long can they stay hidden when there cave is transformed into an oven? @) Incendiary weapons are FAR better then nuclear because if they're nuked they're vaporized instantly, no pain there so no fear of it. But incendiary weapons burn, being burned hurts, hurts REAL bad. You have a few insurgent villages be roasted with all its inhabitants still in it and old Abdul may start to think all those virgins and fields of honey aren't worth being cooked alive. Those people don't fear the same things we do so we need to make it something that all life is afraid of, FIRE.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The 3rd world war will be nuclear.
The 4th world war will be fought with spears and rocks.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

wibblywobbly wrote:The 3rd world war will be nuclear.
The 4th world war will be fought with spears and rocks.
Hope it never gets to that though...War is never the answer to anything...it just creates more animosity ...there will always be conflict...that's just Human nature....Gooe "EDUCATED" World leaders is the true solution....Leaders that understand that ruling the world isn't a good venture

With that said....Peace also has it's downfalls....Crime and Overpopulation

ALPHA

Return to “Modern Tanks”