HL Abrams detailing build

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

HL Abrams detailing build

Post by greengiant »

Received my HL Abrams a few days ago and have started to correct some things HL missed.
This first batch of pics are a way to get the nonslip surface on the tanks upper hull. All Abrams in service since the gulf war have this coating painted on.
I used sandbox sand that I sifted down as much as possible so I only had the smallest particles. It ended up a little thicker looking then I wanted but I think as I add more coats of paint that will diminish.
Tomorrow I will start to do the same thing to the turret.
Attachments
HL Abrams build 013.JPG
HL Abrams build 012.JPG
HL Abrams build 012.JPG (90.61 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
HL Abrams build 009.JPG
HL Abrams build 008.JPG
HL Abrams build 007.JPG
HL Abrams build 004.JPG
HL Abrams build 004.JPG (86.21 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
HL Abrams build 002.JPG
HL Abrams build 002.JPG (69.16 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL Abrams detailing build

Post by AlwynTurner »

That's the one (of the very few) area Hobby Engine got right, they put the non-slip effect on their moulding. Looking good Greengiant. Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

HE also got the 8 bolt heads on the turret top front. 1 set of 4 by the thermal imaging tower the other set of 4 by the gunners periscope.
Their gunners periscope doors are also correct. HL didn't put the little strip in the center that is part of the left door. Both didn't bother with the cutouts in the rear tail light guards.
HL has more of the lifting and pulling plates in the right place but didn't bother to make the holes that should be on them. They also didn't bother to include any stowage items not even the spare road wheels that all Abrams have or a modern commander figure.
Will have to correct almost as much stuff on the HL as I did on the HE altogether.
HL molding is so much crisper then the HE and has things like the correct bore evacuator shape, correct commanders copula, correct ammo storage blow off plates, correct loaders hatch exterior, correct fender shape at the front, correct taillight location and only one APU ( HE came with 2. The molded in one on the right side hull rear and one on the bustle).
The thing I don't like about HL's is that they made a late early version of the A2 and to change it to the later SEP version you have to remove the old APU connection from the turret top by cutting it off. HE's could just be pried off. Both types were in Iraqi.
I guess this is just still to new a release for the aftermarket to start putting out parts kits to update it to what the Abrams is today. The M1A2 Abrams SEPv2. The HE release with suspension got them to offer better tracks and road wheels but that was about it.
I guess that's may never happen.
I'm shooting for the SEP version in my build.
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Have finished turret exterior.
Put the nonslip on like the turret hull.
Used HE ID panels as HL's are to large and only one size. (the rear one is really smaller than the side ones on the real tank)
Removed non SEP connecter for the APU.
Hade to reposition the grenade launchers as they point to much forward and not enough upward.
Made the commanders thermal viewing tower rotatable.
Attachments
010.JPG
009.JPG
003 3.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
this is the HL panel on the right compared to the HE panel on the left. On rear bustle rack
this is the HL panel on the right compared to the HE panel on the left. On rear bustle rack
008.JPG (89.88 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
The HL panels are in the top
The HL panels are in the top
005.JPG (79.44 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Built SEP model that replaced the old APU. It holds the condenser coils for the turret cooling system that is used to keep the newly installed electronics packages at operating temps.
On the real tank the connections to the turret are all located under th bustle and turret. The condenser for the cooling unit is located in the turret.
Added the mesh bottom to the turret bustle rack using fiberglass window screening.
Attachments
007.JPG
test fit of cooling unit
test fit of cooling unit
011.JPG (90.33 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
almost complete still needs dome bolt heads
almost complete still needs dome bolt heads
010.JPG (95.57 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
roughed out the shape by cutting up the APU that came with the tank and covering with filler to be sanded smooth
roughed out the shape by cutting up the APU that came with the tank and covering with filler to be sanded smooth
002.JPG (91.2 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Did some work on the hull rear and the hatches on the left rear sponson that the SEP version has the APU located.
Attachments
Abrams SEP APU covers 007.JPG
Abrams SEP APU covers 007.JPG (99.07 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Abrams SEP APU covers 003.JPG
Abrams SEP APU covers 002.JPG
Abrams SEP APU covers 002.JPG (84.96 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Coming along nicely and looking good! Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Wow you've done some impressive work so far, can't wait to see more! :thumbup:

If I may suggest something for the non-slip coating, next time perhaps try the fine sand that Woodland Scenics offers for model railroads. If the sand is so fine that it is correct scale for a 1/87th scale H.O. train layout then it should work perfectly to give the non-slip coating areas a nice texture while not having any larger grains of sand nor having to try ti sift down sand with screen. Just a thought.
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Thanks AT.
Jackalope great idea. I must have been suffering from brain fade to not have thought of that. What I have though is what I have and it is a little to rough for my taste. I may at some time have to remove what I put on an try the woodland scenic sand.
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

finished upper hull and turret exterior modifications except for some finer detail parts.
Attachments
HL Abrams M1A2 SEP Glass in drivers hatch and commanders thermal imaging tower Painted in Nato Camo.JPG
HL Abrams M1A2 SEP Glass in drivers hatch and commanders thermal imaging tower Painted in Nato Camo.JPG (97.79 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
Abrams gredades in launchers012.JPG
Abrams gredades in launchers012.JPG (82.04 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
Abrams loaders mg movabele gun and skate   010.JPG
Abrams loaders mg movabele gun  skate    007.JPG
Abrams loaders mg movabele gun skate 007.JPG (95.91 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
Abrams loaders mg movabele gun   001.JPG
Abrams loaders mg movabele gun 001.JPG (81.3 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
HL Abrams wheels 50 cal 012.JPG
HL Abrams wheels 50 cal 011.JPG
HL Abrams wheels 50 cal 011.JPG (86.46 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
HL Abrams wheels 50 cal 010.JPG
HL Abrams wheels 50 cal 010.JPG (98.6 KiB) Viewed 7117 times