HL Abrams detailing build

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: HL Abrams detailing build

Post by ALPHA »

scalawag wrote:
ALPHA wrote:
scalawag wrote:
Here you go ALPHA

http://tankarmy.com/heng-long-tank/prod ... ets-p-1816

Very reliable retailer.

I might get a set and give it a try, why don't you as well? :thumbup:
How's their shipping Scalawag? Looked at their site when inquiring about your tracks...the prices are ok...but dang...shipping to Hawaii from Australia is killer...I didn't see shipping costs for them...but once I saw a model airplane I was interested in from a model shop down under...the model was a good price...but they wanted four time the cost of the model to ship it :wtf:

ALPHA
Ah sorry I thought from your post that you just couldn't find any. My bad :S :S

I just ordered a set to have a try with anyway. :thumbup:
No Mistake Scalawag...I can't find any listed anywhere..not alone anyway...with the metal tracks yes...separately not yet lol...but I really never ordered outside the continent with the exception of Hong Kong and Japan...I never really browsed Tank Army's site ...just because of the shipping uncertainty ....there is something about their regulations about mailing out of that zone...It's not the VAT tax...but something like it...it really bumps up the cost ...especially to Hawaii :thumbdown:

Don't worry though...drilling out the sprockets isn't a priority ...after all I waited this long for this version of the M1 to come along...so I'm sure small bits will be available soon

So are you going to drill out yours...or get a set of plastic ones and drill those out ?...This is where ATC has us all beat...he has both the metal and the plastic sprocket ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

scalawag wrote:
ALPHA wrote: So are you going to drill out yours...or get a set of plastic ones and drill those out ?...This is where ATC has us all beat...he has both the metal and the plastic sprocket ;)

ALPHA
I have ordered a second set of the metal ones from Tankarmy, and will try to drill the cut outs in them :thumbup:
i think they will be easy enough to do....just don't know how durable they will be after the mod...will be watching Scalawag...If the mod made the tank get air...I'd be on it like white on rice :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by greengiant »

Just take your time when grinding out the holes whether metal or plastic, overheating the metal ones unequally as you grind could cause cracks between the holes maybe, trying to cut out the plastic ones to fast could cause some deformation around the hole as even the plastic heats up but that heat stays where your grinding.

Good luck to anyone else who cuts the slots. I had no problem with the plastic ones and they look much better with the slots cut out.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

greengiant wrote:Just take your time when grinding out the holes whether metal or plastic, overheating the metal ones unequally as you grind could cause cracks between the holes maybe, trying to cut out the plastic ones to fast could cause some deformation around the hole as even the plastic heats up but that heat stays where your grinding.

Good luck to anyone else who cuts the slots. I had no problem with the plastic ones and they look much better with the slots cut out.
They do look way better with the slots cut....I was going to attempt it....did the search for replacements...then sat back down lol...Hopefully more will carry the sprockets after the Chally comes out...I've seen them for the ZTZ and LEO....so they should be more available in time ;)

ALPHA
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

I figured, with oil and a tungsten carbide drill bit, one can drill the metal sprockets without issues. Just take your time doing so to reduce heat build up and possibility of cracking. With the proper tools and procedure, it can be done.

I just need a drill press before doing mine. Unfortunately, the Dremel Workstation which is a drill press is made of plastic, and I've read that it isn't useful when drilling metal. But we shall see....
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

atcttge wrote:I figured, with oil and a tungsten carbide drill bit, one can drill the metal sprockets without issues. Just take your time doing so to reduce heat build up and possibility of cracking. With the proper tools and procedure, it can be done.

I just need a drill press before doing mine. Unfortunately, the Dremel Workstation which is a drill press is made of plastic, and I've read that it isn't useful when drilling metal. But we shall see....
I have a drill press....and some milling vises to boot....still ..I feel the sprocket would be stronger if it had those slots molded into them...I'm thinking when they do the Chally..they will remove the holes ;)

ALPHA

PS. Don't you have the plastic set as well ATC? drill those and swap them out ...when you play run the metals and when on display the plastic :D
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Drill press really shouldn't be needed. I just use a battery powered Dremel, a headband with magnifying lenses that flip down and hold on to the piece with a small angle jaw pliers.

That way I have better control of the angle I'm grinding at and can feel and see if the piece starts to move or feel the heat building up if I try to grind to aggressively.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

greengiant wrote:Drill press really shouldn't be needed. I just use a battery powered Dremel, a headband with magnifying lenses that flip down and hold on to the piece with a small angle jaw pliers.

That way I have better control of the angle I'm grinding at and can feel and see if the piece starts to move or feel the heat building up if I try to grind to aggressively.
LOL..I have that battery powered Dremel...they aren't that bad for plastic...but they don't do so well on metal...tried cutting an airsoft barrel with it and it barely scratched it :haha: ...not enough rpms ;)

ALPHA
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Mines old But it has a lithium battery pack and will cut anything my corded one will, just have to go with a little less pressure so the battery doesn't wear down to fast (trying to make the battery last as long as possible).

Used to have two of them, they originally has a built in speed control but those burned out real fast so they only ran at full speed. Then one of the motors wiring shorted out. So I had two battery packs and one tool.

One of the battery packs finally wore out and when I went to look for a replacement found they only made a much smaller less powerful portable ones now and no longer even sell the battery packs or mot0r brushes for ones like mine anymore.
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

The plastic sprockets are currently attached to the tank. The metal sprockets I have is compatible for Tamiya drive shafts, and I destroyed mine when I attempted to grind away metal for the HL drive shafts to fit. Mind you, when I say "destroyed" I mean "rendered unusable" because my grinding wasn't precise. Structural integrity of the sprocket wasn't affected. I ordered a new set, this time from TankArmy, and this time compatible with HL driveshaft.

My Dremel is a Dremel 4000 with flexible shaft, so I can be as precise as I am able to. Having a drill press however will be more precise - as long as it is sturdy. Alas, the Dremel Workstation ain't good - although I'd still want to have one.

Return to “Modern Tanks”